Torquay United v Wrexham- (NOW Dec 5th)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

taxilady wrote:Hargreaves always seemed terrified about making substitutions, & our current management seems the same. We made no substitutions at all at Braintree despite the pitch being extremely heavy going (most of it is a sandpit) ; & too late today to make any difference. I appreciate that the team was flowing pretty well before we conceded, so there may have been a reluctance to change things at that moment; but perhaps we should have brought Marsh on earlier ? It looked like we were playing for a goal less draw at Braintree, & perhaps that was also the thinking today. Dangerous though, as it proved.
I honestly hope that wasn't the case. We are in no position to be playing for a draw when we're 5 points adrift and playing as the home side.

Listened on the radio and didn't sound a classic thanks mainly due to the conditions but sounded like we frustrated them for large parts. Apparently 0 shots on target according to BBC and 1 last week at Braintree isn't great especially when we need to find some goals. With FGR & Cheltenham over the festive break to come, really need to win next Sunday and at Chester to get some momentium going.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

taxilady wrote:Hargreaves always seemed terrified about making substitutions, & our current management seems the same. We made no substitutions at all at Braintree despite the pitch being extremely heavy going (most of it is a sandpit) ; & too late today to make any difference. I appreciate that the team was flowing pretty well before we conceded, so there may have been a reluctance to change things at that moment; but perhaps we should have brought Marsh on earlier ? It looked like we were playing for a goal less draw at Braintree, & perhaps that was also the thinking today. Dangerous though, as it proved.
All that you post confirms we have a rookie manager learning his trade at the expense of the club either going out of business or out of this league or both.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

I hate to say it but the club is a total embarrassment at the moment and like previous posts on hear fear the worst especially under the current board and manager. Come on board and invested members time to do the honourable thing and admit the gamble hasn't paid off.Nothing against Nicholson but his record since he took over is appalling and any other club would of relived him of his duties by now (see Halifax not the richest of clubs and Darren Kelly 10 games and out ) I would be seriously worried if we employed Nicholson as a rookie on anything more than a max 3 month notice period and more sensibly 1 month.
I like Steve Breed personally and sure he is doing a great job but unless the role is business critical then that salary needs to go towards installing the best Manager we can possibly get.I know it's easy to say after the event but Nicholson for me was always a money saving choice and possibly do I dare say a yes man option to the board .

Time is running out and God forbid if we are 9/10 point a drift from safety come the new year and still no change.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

We are an absolute joke at the moment. I honestly can't understand why so many fans stay behind clapping with hands above their heads like inane seals after such an inept performance.

Yes those words might hurt but why and when did such a performance become acceptable from a Torquay United side?

We are going down with this set up. We needed an Iain Atkins and we appointed Hargreaves mark 2. Same mistake made again. It fecking hurts so much watching the club I love so much dying on its arse.

Where do we go form here?
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

There's no 'i' in team, but there is a 'me'.

I've been fairly quiet of late because I just find it all rather depressing, and it's only getting worse. Another loss at a time when we just don't look like winning.

I think the more apt quotation is, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results."

Whether or not Nico moving to the sidelines is the answer, I don't think so. Even with Butler back in defence, we still have the issue of no left winger. It'll just be papering over some cracks which will still exist.

Some have also questioned whether the team are good enough. I absolutely think they are, on paper. It's in practice that they have no belief on the pitch.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Devonyellow I clapped the team off the pitch because they gave 100% and deserved a draw in awful conditions which spoiled the game.

We did not deserve to lose. I am convinced Nicholson is a Manager who picks a team based on personal preferences and it sways his judgement.

Andre Wright did deserve to start but, and it is a big but, why was Marsh sat on the bench?

Heslop was preferred to Carmichael but only the manager knows why.

We are more competitive but we still look very weak up front. We have to get shots on target. What do we do in training. If Nicholson sat on the bench and WATCHED his team he might learn something.Come on Kevin time is running out.You are very stubborn but you are not stupid. You have to start managing and NOT playing. You do know that. 50 years ago the game had player managers NOT TODAY.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

You are right it's because these managers are inexperienced that they don't make substitutions and I assure you there is a feeling in your stomach untill you are experienced and have the confidence to make changes in front of 2,000 supporters, don't laugh. It's easy for us all to post on here but to put things in place is harder than you think. Kevin can't listen to everyone as he will not ever make a decision as his mind will be in turmoil. Hargreaves was lost he had no confidence in himself he asked lots of supporters.

An experienced manager would do what he believes in and would work at it because he believes he's right and would make substitutions, if and when needed. When we lost 3-7 the substitution should have been made after twenty minutes but the people in the dugout did not have a clue.
Yesterday you are right Marsh should have been on earlier but because Kevins on the pitch he did not react. A goal less draw would not have been that bad.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Why doesn't everybody on here wake up? Whether it's Nico or somebody else, to get out of this we have to have promotion form and with this current squad that isn't going to happen. Draws are no good, it's 3 points each week that will make the difference.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Gosh. I really hadn't thought of that Nickbrod ! Points make a difference....well I never..... Thanks so much for that.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Same squad give or take Cox had begin of season and won 2 and drew a few before deciding not ideal to be paid expenses when others in the club drawing a salary and left.

Would'not be in this dire situation with Cox or a proper experienced Manager and not the cheap option. FACT.

Agree with the draws point above but again look at the stats on Nico since he took over and it's not good enough in a results driven business .
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Are the stats on Cox so much better than the stats on Nico ?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Actually no there not. Cox was manager for 10 league games, the team gained 10 points under Cox scored @ 1.3 goals per game, conceded @ 1.8 goals per game.

Nicho's first 10 league games have netted 7 points, we've scored less a@ 0.7 goals per game, and conceded less @ 1.3 goals per game. The 3 games played between were all lost, the only difference I can see is in the mentality, the team seemed to be more competitive under Cox, maybe the stats under Cox would have improved, who knows.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Doubled Nico's win rate for starters .... Not saying Cox was the Messiah or anything ,far from it but personally feel we would not be in the bottom 3 with him or someone with experience in charge . In addition would also have more faith in getting out of trouble with him or someone of his calibre.
The cheap and cheerful good old Torquay option has'nt and does'nt work.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Not sure that Cox brought anymore competitive attitude than Nico has. Yesterday the players were putting in plenty of effort. The players and fans would benefit from a change in mentality....we all need to believe, encourage and stop focusing on the bad stuff.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

I admire your optimism and faith albeit blind faith as the hard facts are 1 win against Southport .

Not negative but l live in the real world and know when change and action is needed and that is NOW!!!