Torquay United v Wrexham- (NOW Dec 5th)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

In the real world Torquay United has no money, the support is declining, nobody wants to buy the club . It's easy to say change is required, but another thing to actually initiate change without funds. In the real world the chances of Torquay United changing are small.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Nicholson needs to be replaced as soon as possible as simple as that . Re the money and compensation side as stated before find it hard to believe even for Torquay to have agreed more than a 3 moth notice period or more likely and sensibly 1 month so give him his 2/3k and be done . (Painful lesson but no sympathy as the club took the cheap option)

Going forward not sure if all the money was used from Dean Edwards leaving to cover Nico salary but the board need to dig deep internally and add to the pot to get someone in to save us with a proven pedigree. Maybe elsewhere cutback (CEO do we need one in the current plight ) or use players fund / pool of money as sure the fans on the whole agree the current Manager is not the answer .

The crowd and support will come back with confidence in the board and the right man at the helm .
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Heard a rumour yesterday that if yesterday's game was off then the wages would have been struggled to be paid for this month. Think that shows the serious and precarious position we are in.

Again another spirited performance but no goals and hardly a shot on target.

I don't know where we go from here.
The game against Chesham next week is bigger than we think. Not only for the extra money we get from winning the tie but also keeping the fans onside as defeat against them could prove to be the last straw.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Clive Bissel wrote:Nicholson needs to be replaced as soon as possible as simple as that . Re the money and compensation side as stated before find it hard to believe even for Torquay to have agreed more than a 3 moth notice period or more likely and sensibly 1 month so give him his 2/3k and be done . (Painful lesson but no sympathy as the club took the cheap option)

Going forward not sure if all the money was used from Dean Edwards leaving to cover Nico salary but the board need to dig deep internally and add to the pot to get someone in to save us with a proven pedigree. Maybe elsewhere cutback (CEO do we need one in the current plight ) or use players fund / pool of money as sure the fans on the whole agree the current Manager is not the answer .

The crowd and support will come back with confidence in the board and the right man at the helm .
How might this all be funded & achieved? White knight?
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

All this bickering amongst ourselves stems from the non-communication from those in charge at TQ!; a group of people upon taking over who pledged to keep the fan base informed with honest and open comments.
I agree that we can't be told everything but more openness would help calm those of us who care about OUR football club.
We've not even had the dreaded Chairman's vote of confidence in the manager yet!
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

nickbrod wrote:All this bickering amongst ourselves stems from the non-communication from those in charge at TQ!; a group of people upon taking over who pledged to keep the fan base informed with honest and open comments.
I agree that we can't be told everything but more openness would help calm those of us who care about OUR football club.
We've not even had the dreaded Chairman's vote of confidence in the manager yet!
No managers comments on OS so far from yesterday, which is rare. But TBH, nicho will not be getting sacked. What we have to do is sign a quality striker ASAP , if it costs 50k so be it because relegation from this league is unthinkable
Lucy
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

I like your quote.
In support of the Chairman and CEO sometimes its more diplomatic and sensible not to comment, you also need to look at legal implications in some cases, so its unlikely the fans will get to know everything. I do think at times of uncertainty its good practice to communicate your vision and strategy, but from personal experience I can also sympathise with the guys at the coal face, when you take over any business, you will find good things and bad, in some cases you will find a "can of worms", you can get quick wins and fix things generally, once you have the right structure, people, processes and management structure in many cases it just takes time.

On the journey you will encounter other challenges which could effect the journey route to the destination and during times like this you need to be agile and fast thinking, more importantly you need to make good business decisions. Also remember the club only has a basis level of resources, they don't have PR and communication managers, what you getting is a group of people working with the best interests of the club at heart, they will all make good and bad decisions, change them all tomorrow and you will still be faced with the same issues.

Like me, try and stay supportive and wish them all the best, the good thing about football which is unlike many business models is you have the chance each week to make a huge impact on what you do and the outcomes if you get it right can be favourable. Saturday should see a result, if you want more games in such an important season is another story, but for business it brings in more cash through the turnstiles.

I watch the journey with great interest, I just hope we all get to the right destination in time.
nickbrod wrote:All this bickering amongst ourselves stems from the non-communication from those in charge at TQ!; a group of people upon taking over who pledged to keep the fan base informed with honest and open comments.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

lucy6lucy wrote: What we have to do is sign a quality striker ASAP , if it costs 50k so be it because relegation from this league is unthinkable
Totally agree with you, however, the club has been offered players on loan for around £400-500 a week mark and turned them down, because there simply isn't the money in the club, it has to be remembered we have a small board they haven't got loads of money to cover losses, the board has to run this club on it's income.

Believe me in terms of quality £50k will get us ,even on loan, diddily squat.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Clive Bissel wrote:
Would'not be in this dire situation with Cox or a proper experienced Manager and not the cheap option. FACT.

Credibility straight out the window.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Cox was a w----- and his name is just not worth mentioning as he knew the score when he took over and bluffed his way into the job somewhere along the line he thought things were going to change and they did not so he got out. He helped put us in this mess along with previous managers and the previous directors.
Unless someone is willing to inject a lot of money into the club or buy it support the people running it.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Putting aside everyone's personal thoughts and opinions on Cox hard facts are as a Manager he gets results and that's proven girls and boys. As said I've no loyalty to him and disappointed in the way he left etc but this all falls back to the current plight and Managerial choice in Nicholson.

There's enough in the squad to be mid table but need a proper credible leader .
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

The proof is that Cox got Torquay United 10 points in 10 games. Result....
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Hi forevertufc as I have stated before clubs are not going to let players come on loan to us if we are not playing them again as an example I have to bring Carmichael up he played every game under Cox then got injured went back to Bmth got fit came back two weeks ago was by far our best player in the friendly against Bideford but Nico has not given him any game time so far so you can understand why clubs won't let them come to Torquay and in 3 weeks Carmichael will go back to Bmth and you can bet he won't come back if he's not playing
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Alley wrote:Hi forevertufc as I have stated before clubs are not going to let players come on loan to us if we are not playing them again as an example I have to bring Carmichael up he played every game under Cox then got injured went back to Bmth got fit came back two weeks ago was by far our best player in the friendly against Bideford but Nico has not given him any game time so far so you can understand why clubs won't let them come to Torquay and in 3 weeks Carmichael will go back to Bmth and you can bet he won't come back if he's not playing
I must admit Carmicheal would be one of the first names on the team sheet if he was 100% fit if I was picking the team.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yesterday's match was a lottery because of the conditions. However, I slightly disagree with Arcadia that we got our tactics right. In the first half, playing against the wind, Wrexham packed their defence and indulged in a bit of time wasting. In the second half, with the wind, they attacked strongly and at times there was only the 'keeper in their own half. We did not push enough players forward when playing with the wind in the first half. Having said that, I thought it was rough justice that we lost. Even in those conditions, it was a much better team performance than against Lincoln. But as Alley has posted, I cannot for the life of me understand why Josh Carmichael isn't playing unless he is still not fully fit. And where was Fairhurst yesterday? Has he had a recurrence of his injury? It is indeed looking pretty bleak. Does anyone know of a team (or two) who are likely to go into administration ??