Torquay United v Wrexham- (NOW Dec 5th)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

We should have had a point out of this game, all the team gave everything for the club as this game was about work and team spirit but we lost the game on a set piece again why oh why can't we defend corners. If you marking the first space for the ball to come into its your job to win it. If I was Kevin I would have the players practicing defending corners on the morning of the games as this has gone on to long.

I know supporters knock Heslop but today he showed that he's a players player, he was everywhere yes he's not a crowd pleaser but he gets on with his job.

I can't fault the players for effort but defending corners has been a weekness all season why are we not improving on this. I thought that Wright looks a handful up front but I'm looking for more from him. I think he's still trying to beat one two many players when a chance could be on, he was beating two and failing at the third time and time again, I still think he's worth his place but we've got to improve him. A very frustrating end to a tough game, the team was tight we looked comfortable and defended well today. bar for the Corner.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Good second half performance from the team this afternoon but why did we not show more intent in the first half when the conditions were in our favour. The way the players strolled around it was as if the instruction was just to get to half time at 0-0. We were again let down by poor defending - so predictable that the goal came during our best spell of play - and the lack of cutting edge up front. Only one shot on target and that a tame effort straight at their goalkeeper who will never have such a quiet afternoon again.

These two factors have been relevant all season and I cannot see much of a change in the next seven weeks during which we will be playing the top sides in the league. By the end of January I expect us to be bottom of the table and an unsurmountable number of points away from safety. Sorry to be a doom-monger but this is a Club in steep decline and I wait to see if it will be terminal.

Its so predictable now that I am really not surprised any more and can no longer summon up the enthusiasm to even get angry! This season can't end too soon for me, even it is the last at a national level of football.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Haven't got a lot time right now. Weather conditions same for both teams, both teams struggled with the weather, thank god for Wright and Smith, with out whom have a feeling it might have been another burial job, we can't expect to win games when Smith and Butler are having to nurse maid Nicho.

Wrexham didn't win this game because we can't defend corners, which I agree we can't, they won it because they had the gumption with the weather conditions in their favour to stick 9 men in the box from a corner, don't think we ever had 9 men in Wrexham's half all game.

We have one player in the team who shouldn't be playing, as such, we have other players playing out position to cover and compensate, yes we upped the effort in the second half, have feeling we could have played all night and not scored though.

Do our players really look fitter, think there's a bit of sound byte going on there, a good friend of mine into fitness and gym work, tells me our squad were at Winners Newton Abbot yesterday morning doing circuit training, presuming he's not a fantasist and has made that up, what in gods name are doing such training 24 hrs before a game, no wonder half of them looked stiff, the other half hacked off.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

We lost (again). Who cares? Fewer and fewer each week. The only way we can get out of this is to have promotion form in the second half of the season which we've now reached and with this manager and squad it isn't going to happen.
Just get used to the thought of National South football or worse.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Onwards and downwards.......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

It saddens me so say this but Torquay United are now a shambolic outfit from top to bottom. The handling of the Ling departure together with the appointment of two ex-players, inexperienced as managers, has been a disgrace.
Many comment on the lack of funds but I would suggest that the limited funds that have been available have been wasted. Giving Hargreaves and Hodges 2 year contracts is one example. Who was responsible for that decision? Sacking them and giving another ex-player a managerial contract is beyond belief. Is there another profession or trade where an employee starts at the top without training for the job? I trained for 20 years to qualify for a managerial post in finance
I have been supporting and following Torquay since the early 50s and it hurts me to have to write the above.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

This was a match spoilt by a gale force wind blowing towards the babbacombe end.

We had to score in the first half with the wind helping but in truth looked very ordinary and I do not think either goalkeeper had a shot to save.

I thought we would be hammered in the second half but we fought hard but just lacked any real quality. A good referee made a pleasant change.

Wrexham scored from a driven corner and Berry got his head to the ball but only succeeded in deflecting it across the goal and Carrington netted.

I really do not think we deserved to lose and a draw in the conditions would have been a fair result.

With Southport winning we are now in serious trouble. Very surprised Marsh and Carmichael were on the bench.

Verma looks a footballer, very athletic, but played in the wrong position. Andre Wright looks useful but we need goals and for me Marsh is the most likely to score now Hurst has gone on loan to Guiseley.

Hard to believe we won 2 of our first 3 games this season. I have very grave doubts we will survive the drop unless Kevin can get in a couple of hardened experienced loanees. The trouble is the team is getting used to losing a very bad sign.
Onedayitwillbegood
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Gilbert the gull

Post by Onedayitwillbegood »

Only one way we're heading that's the southern league and part time football start getting your heads around it as it will soon be a sad reality
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Burnhamgull wrote:downwards and downwards.......
fixed that for you :lol:
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Having read all the post match posts, I feel that a lot are giving the wrong impression of todays game. Most people around me were saying that they thought Torquay put in an improved performance and really deserved some points today.
I worry that some Torquay fans, who can only go to some games, may read the bad reviews and think it's all a waste of time going to Plainmoor. I am very disappointed at the loss, but it was a better performance by Torquay. The Wrexham team were getting very frustrated and even started arguing amongst themselves.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

goodluckgull wrote:Having read all the post match posts, I feel that a lot are giving the wrong impression of todays game. Most people around me were saying that they thought Torquay put in an improved performance and really deserved some points today.
I worry that some Torquay fans, who can only go to some games, may read the bad reviews and think it's all a waste of time going to Plainmoor. I am very disappointed at the loss, but it was a better performance by Torquay. The Wrexham team were getting very frustrated and even started arguing amongst themselves.
But that is precisely the point - even when we put in a good performance we find a way of losing the game! That is exactly why the overall tenor of these posts is that we are doomed. Losing is fast becoming a habit.

However, I shall continue attending and will support the team right to the end of the season, hoping vervently that they will turn it round.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

As I posted earlier Portugull I could not believe Nico played himself when Marsh and Carmichael were left on the bench but if he doesn't change it soon by dropping himself out we will be in trouble Carmichael is only here till January and he's come to us for game time so by not playing he won't want to stay any longer this lad is good enough check his Wikipedia he was a sub for bmth 1st team under Bradbury at least 7 times played 3 times for Bmth v Walsall crawley and Coventry as well as 90 mins at Wembley in the FA Trophy final whilst on loan at Gosport and Nico doesn't play him why?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

goodluckgull wrote:Having read all the post match posts, I feel that a lot are giving the wrong impression of todays game. Most people around me were saying that they thought Torquay put in an improved performance and really deserved some points today.

Yes it was an improved performance I enjoyed the game but technically we are making the same mistakes. The trouble is supporters want a win and it is frustrating when it does not happen.
The manager is in a no win situation as if we throw players forward in the conditions we become vulnerable for them to hit us on the break I thought tactically we got it right but we are still making mistakes and that's what costs you games. Lets be fair neither keeper really made a save to speak of, so a draw would have been a fair result but we were punished for bad organisation or someone not doing their job on the corner.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

That is a great point. Managers at other teams may stop allowing players to come here on loan if they don't get games, it defeats the object.
Also very noticeable that the Board have kept their silence.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Hargreaves always seemed terrified about making substitutions, & our current management seems the same. We made no substitutions at all at Braintree despite the pitch being extremely heavy going (most of it is a sandpit) ; & too late today to make any difference. I appreciate that the team was flowing pretty well before we conceded, so there may have been a reluctance to change things at that moment; but perhaps we should have brought Marsh on earlier ? It looked like we were playing for a goal less draw at Braintree, & perhaps that was also the thinking today. Dangerous though, as it proved.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066