Torquay United v Wrexham- (NOW Dec 5th)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

There's a shocker, game pretty even Wrexham bring on three fresh players tired TQY do nothing and Wrexham take the lead.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Nicho finally brings on Marsh but waits until we go 0-1 down. Unbelievable.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

It is a bit staggering why we have not used any subs. It's not as though we have a million other cup games to think about for **** sake!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Nicholson first name on the team sheet next match!
Result the same.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Down....and out!
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

Guildford Gull wrote:Nicho finally brings on Marsh but waits until we go 0-1 down. Unbelievable.

Couldn't agree more, he should have started! Its not like we've got enough goal scoring options to leave our leading scorer on the bench.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

1 win in 11 games since Nicholson became manager. Compare that with Dino Maamria's record of 2 wins in 3 games since being appointment Southport's manager. The difference? Maamria had previous management experience with Northwich Victoria and had worked with Graham Westley at Stevenage and Preston. The appointment of Nicholson is proving a huge mistake as so many on this site predicted. I refuse to believe, even given our well publicised financial problems, that Nicholson was the best candidate. Philips and Breed now have a simple choice. Stick with Nicholson and risk relegation to Conference South and oblivion or bring in a manager with some experience who knows what's doing.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

I really wanted it to work out for Nicho but the gamble on him being a success has failed. 1 win in 11, 3 wins in 23 and 3rd from bottom. The crowd of 1512 just shows where we are at as a football club, doomed.

down and out.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Crap.

Was meant to be going to this game with my friend from Leicester (we go to each other's games as much as possible). So glad we rearranged last minute. Might put off my turn a bit more. Embarrassing.
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

as said many times on here, wrong man for the job, cant see us getting a win let alone scoring a goal, the gap is opening up with southport winning.
conference south and part time football is looming im afraid, as for luke young he will be on his way at the end of the season for sure.
teignmouth54
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by teignmouth54 »

According to BBC match statistics, Torquay had 13 shots, none of which were on target!

Halifax, and possibly Kidderminster. will soon be overtaking us.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Why does Nico not put himself on the bench move the team around a little and get Carmichael playing as he is good enough he was an ever present till he got injured but for some reason Nico thinks he is still good enough Marsh should be starting as well I am sorry but Nico cannot run the team from left back he needs to be in the dug out before we get too far behind and can't get out of the position we are in
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Alley wrote:Why does Nico not put himself on the bench move the team around a little and get Carmichael playing as he is good enough he was an ever present till he got injured but for some reason Nico thinks he is still good enough Marsh should be starting as well I am sorry but Nico cannot run the team from left back he needs to be in the dug out before we get too far behind and can't get out of the position we are in
Good point well put but not going to happen I'm afraid the only way Nicholson is going to not be in the side is if he's sacked as manager and that's not going to happen either. With our funds he'll be playing when collects his bus pass. He said he'd been planning being TQY manager for a long time when he got the position which seemed admirable at the time but when you see his planing was all ME ME ME then you realise he is to self important to see what everyone else in the league can see bar him. There's no i in team Kevin.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

"There's no i in team Kevin."

Do you mean: "There's no i in team, Kevin"

Or: "There's no i in Team Kevin"!!
TUST member 200 ;-)
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

All very predictable today. Yes we looked pretty solid, had good shape and fitness and had the better of the match. Torquay had the strong wind in their favour in the first half and had a series of half chances and a few corners and at times had some decent pressure. The 2 loanees in attack, Verma and Wright, had something about them. And yet after all that effort, any chance was off target and Wrexham's keeper did not really have a save to make all game. In the 2nd. half, Wrexham had their first corner and predictably scored after a flick on was scored at close range. Torquay's best chance fell in the 93rd. minute from a corner and after a scramble, it was finally cleared. Too little, too late I'm afraid.

In truth, Torquay never seriously looked like scoring and there is realistically no real hope of Torquay surviving this relegation battle. Torquay's crowd only started chanting in the second half, it was that subdued. Our substitutions were made too late in the day and did not help matters. Crowd only 1,512 with 96 from Wrexham. The fact is that Torquay tried hard but still lost to a poor Wrexham side who showed little adventure all game.

Personally, after losing to Basingstoke and Barrow the other week did it for me. Since then, I virtually gave up hope that Nicholson could turn things around. So today was no shock at all, it was to be expected. There's no lack of effort I dare say, but a lack of experience and quality where it matters. And that includes the coaching as well as the players. We lack that know-how that other teams seem to have in turning drab games like today into wins.