Altrincham v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

OllieGull wrote:Surely we can appeal the red?

Well, you can, but I doubt it would be worth it. It may have been an overreaction, but there's no denying that he did commit the act for which he was sent off. By the book, it's probably a legitimate red card, unfortunately.
Last edited by divingbboy on 31 Oct 2015, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 203
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Law 12 states that the player is deemed guilty of violent conduct, and must therefore be sent off,if he uses "excessive force or brutality".

Is a push considered "excessive force"

Have any players ever been sent off before for using "excessive force" against a team mate? Very rarely I would think.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

nickbrod wrote:At least we had a goalkeeper who knows what to do in the team.

Oh yes, right, last week you were slagging off Spiess for not coming off his line. I believe according to the commentary in the 61 st minute Altrincham had a corner Lavercombe didn't come for it stayed on his line, suggested that he should have come for it, but did atone by saving the resulting free header, at least try to be consistent.

Apart from that and, an unstoppable shot be all accounts he had nothing to do, which is of great credit to Nicho and the whole team.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Dave not sure what your issue is with Dan, but you appear to take every opportunity to knock the lad. If someone has a pop at Spiess you seem to turn that around to something about Dan. I think you need to turn your attention to something else as it's starting to look like Spiess is your love child or something.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

forevertufc wrote:

Oh yes, right, last week you were slagging off Spiess for not coming off his line. I believe according to the commentary in the 61 st minute Altrincham had a corner Lavercombe didn't come for it stayed on his line, suggested that he should have come for it, but did atone by saving the resulting free header, at least try to be consistent.

Apart from that and, an unstoppable shot be all accounts he had nothing to do, which is of great credit to Nicho and the whole team.
Oh well nobody's perfect!

Added in 3 minutes 3 seconds:
Anyway the manager must have thought the same as I did last week otherwise why was Spiess dropped today? Difference is that last week Spiess rooted to his line resulted in 2 goals.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Mav wrote:Dave not sure what your issue is with Dan, but you appear to take every opportunity to knock the lad. If someone has a pop at Spiess you seem to turn that around to something about Dan. I think you need to turn your attention to something else as it's starting to look like Spiess is your love child or something.

Sorry Mav, think you misunderstand. I have absolutely no issue with Dan Lavercombe at all, I want the lad to succeed whether that's with us or somewhere else, I, truly do.

My issue is with some fans in general, and not just at our club, we've seen it the past with Mark Ellis, there was a player who'd run 30 yard out, miss time his jump, miss the header and Chris Robertson would get the blame when the ball hit the back of our net.

It's called peoples champion-itus , it just grinds my gears the disgusting and quite frankly, moronic dogs abuse Fabian Spiess gets. I have no problem with someone holding an opinion, but don't slag off one keeper for sticking on his line one week, and tell us the other knows what he's doing the next when he does the self same thing, simple as that.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think Dave has it spot on and can't see how anyone can see it as knocking Lavercombe. He and I both want to see Lavercombe do well in the game but we both know full well how tricky it is to develop a keeper with potential into the real thing.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Well If you read back through past posts you may change your view. As for this being my opinion it's not just mine, been mentioned to me by multiple people who read this site and are all of the same opinion. It may not be your intention, but that's how a lot of the posts you have made in relation to Spiess come across as being very anti Dan Lavercombe
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Re the red card, judging from Nico's comments on the BBC post match interview, he has spoken with the ref who told him that he had applied the letter of the law rather than applying common sense (my words not his). He also said that he had never experienced this in the whole of his playing career

(I recall a home match with Hartlepool where two of their players actually came to blows and were both sent off, they ended with 8 on the pitch that day)
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

What was wrong with Ellis? Good young player that developed well and was sold on to a higher level. He's stayed a division or two above us ever since as well.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Mav wrote:Well If you read back through past posts you may change your view. As for this being my opinion it's not just mine, been mentioned to me by multiple people who read this site and are all of the same opinion. It may not be your intention, but that's how a lot of the posts you have made in relation to Spiess come across as being very anti Dan Lavercombe
You have a very close and personal interest in Dan Lavercombe your reaction is understandable, but, Unless you've started attending match's again (I fully understand, after what happened to you, if you haven't) your in no place to judge either keeper. I'm sorry if I've caused offence, but I make no apology for any of my posts, I've said it until I'm blue in the face, I want Dan Lavercombe to succeed, I really couldn't have been any clearer on that, if you (I consider as a friend) and people who you know failed to understand that reading my posts, well, what can I do.

Part of the reason why I've posted the way I have is for that very reason. You know my history working in youth football, albeit at a local level, I've worked with players up to the age of 18 who have been released by all three Devon clubs as well as Yeovil and others, I , know a number of former professionals as well, and not just players who played at our club.

I know what a harsh, dog eat dog world professional football has become, I know only to well that a young player especially under the age of 21 can have his career ruined in a matter of days, for various reasons, that's why I want Dan Lavercombe afforded the upmost protection by our club so he has very chance of making it in the game.

Yes I will defend Spiess to the hilt, but I'll also be honest, if he forks up I'll say it, as I did after the Dover game. But as said Spiess gets dogs abuse , a lot of it unfair, and undeserved.

As a TUFC fan I fully support and back all our players.
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

Well, that was certainly a game of 2 halves. First half we were pretty good. Played some nice football, looked confident on the ball, passed it to feet (Heslop aside who was garbage) and Marsh looked a real threat. Alty barely got in our half and looked a really poor side. 1-0 was not a reflection of our superiority, and whilst we didn't make any clear cut chances, on another day we could have taken those couple of half chances and been 2 or 3 up at the break.

2nd half, a different team came out the tunnel in yellow. Shep came on for Heslop (yes he was guff but at least he got involved unlike his replacement). Alty did up their game but we couldn't string 2 passes together for some reason. We looked nervous and resorted to aimless long ball dirge. The equaliser, whilst being an absolute belter worthy of the applause most of the Gulls fans gave it, was inevitable. The winner for Alty that I was expecting, thankfully never came.

First half we looked a good side. 2nd half we looked like a team near the bottom. If we can maintain the first half level for longer than 45 minutes, we'll do fine and win more than we lose.

Some observations;

Dan Lavercombe was solid in goal - nothing he could do for the goal as it was just one of those shots that you ain't ever saving. One of the best goals I've seen "live".

Heslop is not good enough.

Marsh is a good player and caused them problems all game (until he got sent off).

Gus n Smith look like a good pairing at centre half. Smith looks like he's going to be a good player.

Richards does his job really well - I like him. He needs Young (or someone with a bit of vision) next to him though to give the ball to after he's won it back.

Hurst is unbelievable in the air. Fisher is not.

Shep - erm, why?

I like Kev a lot. I'm impressed with the way he's turned things round and I'm confident that if we can play more like we did first half, well be okay. However, he can't play to the level needed any longer and should get his trench coat out and manage from the sidelines.

For what it's worth, I thought the ref did okay today. He was talking to the players - I like that. The sending off was an odd one. I didn't see the incident as I was looking over at the touchline as a sub was about to be made. No idea what happened. The bloke behind me said that Marsh had headbutted Butler - I can't comment further other than every Gulls fan was a bit WTF?

All in all, I remain positive and, after last week's debacle, a point isn't a bad return.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Gulliball wrote:What was wrong with Ellis? Good young player that developed well and was sold on to a higher level. He's stayed a division or two above us ever since as well.
I didn't say there's was anything wrong with Ellis, merely pointed out he made a lot of mistakes with us, which he did ( Branston once said he was like playing along side a school boy) how developed after he left is neither here nor there. Fans blamed everyone else but him for his (Ellis) mistakes, that was the point, as said.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Mav wrote:Well If you read back through past posts you may change your view. As for this being my opinion it's not just mine, been mentioned to me by multiple people who read this site and are all of the same opinion. It may not be your intention, but that's how a lot of the posts you have made in relation to Spiess come across as being very anti Dan Lavercombe
I'm glad you've said this as I began to think it was me.

Dan should have played more games this season and we would have had more points and with regard to development this comes from playing.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

portugull wrote:Law 12 states that the player is deemed guilty of violent conduct, and must therefore be sent off,if he uses "excessive force or brutality".

Is a push considered "excessive force"

Have any players ever been sent off before for using "excessive force" against a team mate? Very rarely I would think.
Think some else posted about it, can't remember the date, it was quite some seasons back now, seem to remember two Hartlepool players being sent off in a match at Plainmoor for fighting with each other.

And there's was this a few season ago...http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/fo ... ht-7968397