Altrincham v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Altrincham v Torquay United

Post by Dave »

Last Saturday saw Torquay United hit a whole new low point in our clubs history, our squad went to Basingstoke in what looked a guilt edged chance to gain a place in the first round of the F.A cup, however a shocking performance saw The Gulls dumped out 3.0 at the hands of our lower division hosts.

As a club Torquay United doesn't have months, weeks or even days to mope about feeling sorry for itself, from the board, to the manager, players and fans, we now need a reaction, the club has a big fish to fry now, that's keeping it's national league premier division status, the financial hit from the F.A cup is of course a bitter blow, but it really will pale into to insignificance if the club are relegated at the end of the season.

This coming Saturday our squad travels to Moss Lane for want now looks a huge and very important league game against Altrincham FC. Altrincham returned to the non-league top flight last season, after a three season absence, not wishing to sound patronising towards Alty, but I'm sure as a club their expectation for last season would have been to stay in this division, something they did with ease finishing 17th, nine points clear of the drop, this season Altrincham will be looking to build and further consolidate their NL premier division status, Altrincham are currently sat 19th , four points ahead of The Gulls, adding extra pressure on the home side, they'll know a win will give them a decent buffer from the relegation zone, defeat at the hands of Torquay will drag them right into trouble.

For Gulls fans attending the match

Moss Lane, Altrincham WA15 8AP..http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/ground.htm

Featured Altrincham player

George Bowerman ; Born 6th November 1991, position forward, Bowerman would start his career coming through the youth ranks into the first team at Walsall, George Bowerman made his senior debut for Walsall on 9th August 2011, coming on as a late substitute for, former Gull Ryan Jarvis, Bowerman would have a brief spell on loan at Redditch United, however would score 9 goals from 50 appearances for Walsall.

Released in 2013, George Bowerman made 2 appearances for Woking, before signing for Accrington Stanley scoring 3 goals from 17 appearances, also scoring 3 goals from 9 appearances during a loan spell at Stourbridge in 2014. George Bowerman joined Altrincham in the summer, and Bowerman has made a very strong start to his career at Alty scoring 5 goals for just 6 starts, I'm sure he'll be one to watch Saturday.

Altrincham top goalscorers and season stats

George Bowerman 5
Michael Rankine 5
Ryan Crowther 2
James Lawrie 2
Damian Reeves 2
Sam Heathcote

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE

% Points (HOME) 74% (AWAY) 26%
% Goals scored (HOME) 65% (AWAY) 35%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 47% (AWAY) 53%

Current form

Altrincham W-L-L-D-D-W

3 Oct Altrincham 1 - 0 Barrow
6 Oct Altrincham 1 - 3 Halifax Town
10 Oct Aldershot To. 2 - 0 Altrincham
13 Oct Altrincham 2 - 2 Kidderminster
17 Oct Gateshead 2 - 2 Altrincham
24th Oct Altrincham 1-0 Chester (FA CUP)

Last time out

Altrincham 1-0 Chester

17. Tim DEASY
6. Scott LEATHER
5. Luca HAVERN (capt)
3. Adam GRIFFIN
4. Jake MOULT
8. Simon RICHMAN
14. Josh O'KEEFE
7. James LAWRIE
10. Damian REEVES
20. Jordan SINNOTT
18. George BOWERMAN

Subs:
11. Nicky CLEE
12. Sam HEATHCOTE
23. Callum WILLIAMS
24. Rhain DAVIS
21. Joel SWIFT
25. Ioannis STOUPPIS

Sinnott impressed with Alty display (Gateshead)

"I'm really pleased with my players, and if we continue like that, we will be fine," said Alty boss Sinnott.

"I thought we looked a lot more industrious than against Kidderminster. There was much more to the performance, and I was proud of them.

"You look for a reaction, if you go behind, and I thought ours was great. We are one point better off than at this stage last season, and when you consider the disruptive start we've had, that's fair enough. It's ok, but there is more to come from these players.

"It took self-belief to keep passing the ball around and sticking to our principles after going behind, but they are always encouraged to do that. I thought we played through some good phases, with Jimmy Lawrie and Josh O'Keefe finding some nice pockets."

From a Torquay point of view

Both Kevin Nicolson (cup-tied) and James Hurst (suspended) will be available for this game Saturday, also with Liam Prynn back at the club after his loan spell at St Austell ended, and the loan signing from Port Vale of striker Achille Campion , Manger Kevin Nicolson will certainly have a much bolstered attacking line up.

This is something I'm sure everyone at the Grimsby game will welcome, that and other game before have highlighted the need for a striker as an urgent priority as I'll always believe our team would have more points to date if we can get into the habit of sticking our chances away, something that hasn't been a strong point.

Think over the coming weeks we'll see more squad changes as Nicho begins to call time on the careers at Torquay of some of the current squad, one thing that last weeks cup defeat will mean, players will no doubt have leave before they can be replaced, interesting times ahead.

Think it's worth mentioning that Waide Fairhurst is expected to back in full training with in 3 weeks, for me this is a massive positive, Fairhurst along with Young are players I'm sure would have had a huge effect on our season, had Fairhurst been fit and available along with Young, would we be in this position now, I don't think we would.

Torquay United top goalscorers and season stats

James Hurst 7
Alex Fisher 5
Tyrone Marsh 4
Dan Butler 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE
% Points (HOME) 33% (AWAY) 67%
% Goals scored (HOME) 39% (AWAY) 61%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 54% (AWAY) 46%

Current form

Torquay United L-L-W-D-D-L

3 Oct Torquay Utd 0 - 2 Aldershot To.
6 Oct Torquay Utd 2 - 3 Dover Athlet.
10 Oct Southport 0 - 1 Torquay Utd
13 Oct Woking 2 - 2 Torquay Utd
17 Oct Torquay Utd 1 - 1 Grimsby
24 Oct Basingstoke 3-0 Torquay Utd (FA Cup)

Last time out

Basingstoke 3-0 Torquay Utd

Spiess
Berry
Butler
Fenwick
Murombedzi
MacDonald
Smith
Heslop
Richards
Marsh
Fisher

Subs:
Lavercombe
Chaney
Briscoe
Yeoman
Gerring
Hancox

WE LEARN, WE MOVE ON & MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN

“We were simply not good enough today,” he said. “That comes down to me; I prepare the lads and I coach them, so I need to improve and make sure they are better prepared.

“We’ve got to be more ruthless and stop conceding goals from set-pieces. We took the plaudits for the last couple of weeks and so must take the criticism now like men.

“All that matters now is next Saturday and making sure our character and our preparation is what it should be so that we can bounce back from this in the right way.

“I would like to apologise to the fans; it was an unacceptable performance, but we will be working hard to improve.

“We learn, we move on and we make sure that this doesn’t happen again.”

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... VzrtZLC.99

Head to Head meetings

English Conference Premier

26.02.2008 Torquay United 1-1 Altrincham
29.03.2008 Altrincham 1-1 Torquay United
14.02.2009 Torquay United 3-1 Altrincham
10.03.2009 Altrincham 0-1 Torquay United

English Conference

17.01.2015 Altrincham 2-1 Torquay United
11.04.2015 Torquay United 2-0 Altrincham
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Thanks for another excellent match preview Dave.

Looking forward to getting another three points again, as Nico continues to work on the teams morale.

Expect to see Lavercombe given his chance tomorrow.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Terrific preview as always. People just don't post to you because we're all sobbing in to our lunch!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Yes, I've been crying in my rolls. Now I've got tear stains on the leather seats :-|
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks once again of the feedback, yes, had a feeling when I was writing this, any response might be sporadic to say the least. It is a shame, I do try to put talking points in these to provoke members to share their opinions, but, I guess three seasons of terminal struggle has worn us all out, never mind I enjoy doing them so will continue if everyone's happy for me to do so.
Formerly known as forevertufc
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

We will win 2-1 - bounce back from last Saturday.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Altrincham (2)3
TUFC (0)0

Att: 917
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If anyone is driving up tomorrow, our CEO Steve Breed would very much appreciate a lift. If you can oblige just drop me a pm and I'll pass on his number.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Southampton Gull wrote:If anyone is driving up tomorrow, our CEO Steve Breed would very much appreciate a lift. If you can oblige just drop me a pm and I'll pass on his number.
Are you serious? Are things really so bad that our CEO has to cadge a lift to an away game?

What about the players? Do they need lifts as well?
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

I've messaged him. Still considering driving up from east Devon if anyone else thinking of going ? Could pick up from Exeter Services/Tiverton Parkway or Taunton station.......

Added in 4 minutes 32 seconds:
Steve Breed no longer needs a lift tomorrow.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:Altrincham (2)3
TUFC (0)0 Att: 917
It will the same score as at Whitby on Wednesday night, Wivel. 2 - 0 to the away side. Keep the faith !! :whistle:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Give the CE his due. After last week it might be an easy option to be very low profile but he's really involved and obviously so are others. Thats got to be good for the club and its future. Congrats to everyone in yellow and blue making the trip.

I think a draw wouldn't be a bad result. I suspect if we are just above Altringham come May we will be okay.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

It seems that Steve Breed is the only official member attending tomorrow's game at Altrinham,therfore ALL board members have better things to do?.Are these the true supporters that took over our club!.Thank goodness theres the true supporters who give up their time and hard earned money to shlap up to Cheshire on a Saturday afternoon,unblivable.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Modgull wrote: Are you serious? Are things really so bad that our CEO has to cadge a lift to an away game?

What about the players? Do they need lifts as well?
No it's ok. The players have gone up today but Steve had meetings . I don't think the train journey is straight-forward, so he was seeking a lift if anyone was going. Keep calm & stay yellow !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I am not sure that is totally fair to the Board members frenchgull. Could it not be said that they also have given up their time and hard earned money? If they hadn't ? ? ?