Altrincham v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

As things stand, if anyone else had attempted to shoot themselves in the foot other than Marsh, they would have undoubtedly missed!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Once a young player signs a pro contract he is deemed to be potential or ready to play pro football and must take his chance when it comes. A keeper could play brilliantly with only a few watching but may not be able to handle playing in front of a crowd.
Keepers will always make the odd mistake but it's how he recovers from it that counts. You cannot wrap them up in cotton wool and not play them because they are to young.
Lavercombe and Spiess are both good young keepers.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Excellent summary from Tarrboy1. The Gulls first half were impressive with neat passing game, the goal was well worked and deserved by persistent Marsh. Unlucky not to get a second before the break but Fisher works hard but his shots are saved. Courtney Richards was excellent.

Incidentally in the stand behind me were Cox and Ramshaw. Any idea why??

Alty clearly would have had a taking to at half-time, they improved their game, gave Dan something to do, and had a goal (clearly offside) disallowed. But they did not really up their game until a 35 yd wonder strike came out of the blue. After that Dan made some good saves, as Alty played better and the Gulls had no strategy for dealing with them. In fact our play worsened, we were second to each ball, and got involved in fouls and disputes. No idea of the circumstances of the Marsh dismissal - I did not see it at all, but Butler was angrily. shrugging off another player when the team headed down the tunnel at the end.
Hurst had some better moments than I have seen, but his booking was just petulance. Nico free kick diverted onto the post but Alty held the much greater threat in last 20 mins, so fans were relieved at a 1-1 draw.
Campion came off the bench but showed little apart from the fact that he is unfit.

The ref was not the problem today, it was how the Gulls react to the opponents scoring a goal and upping their game - we had no answers.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

arcadia wrote:Lavercombe and Spiess are both good young keepers.
:goodpost: Hurragh .
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

forevertufc wrote: :goodpost: Hurragh .
Yes but as I've said so many times Lavercome is far more advanced than Spiess.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Just a couple of observations : when Spiess kicks out from goal, the ball goes up the field & quite often ends up with the opposing side. Virtually every kick out that Lavercombe took went directly to Hurst's head. I didn't immediately notice Campion when he came on, but towards the end I was quite impressed how he held the ball up. A much better performance than against Basingstoke; if only we'd scored again in the first half whilst we were very much on top. We guessed that Cox & Ramshaw were there on behalf of Port Vale, observing Smith & later Campion; probably observing 'their' team that they assembled, in case they want any of them back in the near-ish future !
Some of you will be very glad to hear that Steve Breed safely made it to the game; where he joined Dave Phillips,Mr & Mrs Kerslake & Merv Balson. I saw a post that claimed that the Directors wouldn't be in attendance today; some people still trying to do the club down then, but without foundation on this occasion.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

I am more than happy that four directors attended yesterday's game as a no show is a bit like inviting guests to a dinner party and the guests only meet the butler !.There was properly a good reason why our CEO needed a lift,maybe outside influences interrupted his normal routine?,dose he still have his other business interests?.
After Basingstoke a good point from yesterday's game.
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

After last weeks "performance" pretty happy with a point. Hopefully they've been chomping at the bit all week to make up for last week. Well done to the fans that made the trip up!! :-D

As for the Butler/Marsh incident, however small the push was it shows a lack of discipline, we can't have players missing games because of stupid errors like that. It's a shame after such a promising performance from Marsh he'll be suspend (next 3 games I assume?)
Fantasia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Fantasia »

frenchgull wrote:I am more than happy that four directors attended yesterday's game as a no show is a bit like inviting guests to a dinner party and the guests only meet the butler !.There was properly a good reason why our CEO needed a lift,maybe outside influences interrupted his normal routine?,dose he still have his other business interests?.
After Basingstoke a good point from yesterday's game.
The CEO was working at the club on Friday, a normal working day, and so could not travel with the team. That is his normal routine, Monday to Friday working for the club ( plus any other time if the need arises!) .
Directors have travelled to every away game so far to represent the club and have been seen by the travelling support, as I pointed out previously.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

8 minutes of highlights now available.

Some strike for their goal!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Butler /Marsh incident:

Another low light is the history of TUFC, they seem to be coming thick and fast these days!
If Nicho wants to turn these young boys into men then I hope Marsh is fined 3 weeks wages. If Marsh doesn't like it, that's tough!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: