Basingstoke FC V Torquay United - Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Quite interesting the diverse comments on the site, I stated a few years ago we needed to watch we did not free fall out the league and we did, too many poor decisions on and off the pitch, We are where we are and i think we need to put the past behind us and try to look forward with more optimism, which i know can be difficult. I think the current owners and the manager who is a really decent guy wanting the club to do well need a chance, without a good level of support the club will struggle, its a catch 22.

Being based in Glasgow I see little games, but I have always had the club in my blood due to the experiences of playing and living in the town, had some fantastic experiences and we were quite successful for a bunch of players who were thrown together.

Lets try and put the past behind us and support the club, I am doing my bit and will be down soon to take in a game and see where I can help in any capacity moving forward.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

:goodpost:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

davidcaldwell123 wrote:Quite interesting the diverse comments on the site, I stated a few years ago we needed to watch we did not free fall out the league and we did, too many poor decisions on and off the pitch, We are where we are and i think we need to put the past behind us and try to look forward with more optimism, which i know can be difficult. I think the current owners and the manager who is a really decent guy wanting the club to do well need a chance, without a good level of support the club will struggle, its a catch 22.

Being based in Glasgow I see little games, but I have always had the club in my blood due to the experiences of playing and living in the town, had some fantastic experiences and we were quite successful for a bunch of players who were thrown together.

Lets try and put the past behind us and support the club, I am doing my bit and will be down soon to take in a game and see where I can help in any capacity moving forward.
If you're coming down let's hope you're a decent keeper, can create openings from midfield and know how to shoot between two posts and under a bar - then you'd be most welcome!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

cambgull wrote:At least Exodus got something right at the start of the season.

It's disgusting coming to Plainmoor these days. The pitch is covered with 11 pieces of rubbish at least once every couple weeks, every time Brucie turns up the stands get filled with toxic waste and our Accounts Department must look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb.

It's great having someone on here showing such confidence in the team. Kevin Nicholson/Robbie Herrera will turn things around - you just wait and see. Great to see a post from Dave Caldwell. Good memories of his time at Plainmoor and thanks for a positive post. I reckon he could still put on his boots and do a job for us up front !! :goal: .
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

nickbrod wrote: If you're coming down let's hope you're a decent keeper, can create openings from midfield and know how to shoot between two posts and under a bar - then you'd be most welcome!
I believe it's THE Dave Caldwell, nickbrod. That sort of bite up front is something we can only reminisce about. Good times and nice to hear from the great man.

I see Odofin has equalised for us at Willand. 1-1.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

by nickbrod

If you're coming down let's hope you're a decent keeper, can create openings from midfield and know how to shoot between two posts and under a bar - then you'd be most welcome!

That last part he could definitely do, himself with Paul Dobson along with Mark Loram are my all time favorite TUFC attacking line up!

Two stunning goals from the man for ya -
tufc 5.jpg
tufc15.jpg
From a history of TUFC collage I am doing and having printed on a canvas -

See this thread -

http://www.torquayfans.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=8379
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Lost 2-1 to mighty Willand. We're clearly out of our depth.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Well, some history:

Firstly as we're focussing on David Caldwell at the moment, who remembers that header at Ashton Gate (from a pinpoint Loram cross) to beat Bristol City in a second round match in the cup in 1987?

Then a couple of year later beating West Ham 1 - 0 in the third round.

Next year losing 4 - 1 in the first round at Maidstone (and we were promoted that season!)

And next year beating Birmingham City in the first round 3 - 0 only to lose away 4 -3 to non league Farnborough in a second round replay (if my memory serves me right, we were actually 4-0 down at one stage and nearly drew)

Then next season going out in the first round losing at home 5- 2 to non league Yeovil.

I could go on as it's all happened before, we've swallowed some bitter pills in the past as well as having had some happy memories to lock away. I saw all but one of those matches and was tempted to go on Saturday but my age gets in the way these days so I didn't directly share the pain with those of you who flew the flag. I take my hat off to you.

We must keep the faith, not only for the banana skin opportunity to present itself again sometime in the future but also with the hope of happier things to come.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

gateman49 wrote:Well, some history:

Firstly as we're focussing on David Caldwell at the moment, who remembers that header at Ashton Gate (from a pinpoint Loram cross) to beat Bristol City in a second round match in the cup in 1987?

Then a couple of year later beating West Ham 1 - 0 in the third round.

Next year losing 4 - 1 in the first round at Maidstone (and we were promoted that season!)

And next year beating Birmingham City in the first round 3 - 0 only to lose away 4 -3 to non league Farnborough in a second round replay (if my memory serves me right, we were actually 4-0 down at one stage and nearly drew)

Then next season going out in the first round losing at home 5- 2 to non league Yeovil.

I could go on as it's all happened before, we've swallowed some bitter pills in the past as well as having had some happy memories to lock away. I saw all but one of those matches and was tempted to go on Saturday but my age gets in the way these days so I didn't directly share the pain with those of you who flew the flag. I take my hat off to you.

We must keep the faith, not only for the banana skin opportunity to present itself again sometime in the future but also with the hope of happier things to come.

The Bristol City header is one of the pictures I put up a few posts back!

As for the West Ham game -
HIRONS.jpg
Remember his name, bonus point for his "nickname"?
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Paul Hirons
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench

Paul Irons

Added in :
Paul Irons

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
Was close thought it was irons! lol

Added in 9 minutes 3 seconds:
Some great photos and memories, its interesting to reflect I hated a simple tap in!

Loved the spectacular goal and what a journey that team had, most the layer punched above their weight, Cyril Knowles was a very clever man as he knew if he battered us every day we would stick together as a team, he also would support you to the hilt what you need a manager to do.

Saturday Altringham and then Barrow, I will be at the Barrow game then will be down early December for a home game, keep the faith!!!!

DC
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

gateman49 wrote:Paul Hirons
Paul is a mate of mine and lives in Keynsham finished his career in the Western League.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Indeed it is Paul Hirons, nicknamed "The Snake" if memory serves me correctly, due to his swerving, slithering, snaking dribbling abilities. He often came on as sub and at times looked the business, he could certainly beat players, he didnt last much longer after his big moment though.

To Mr Caldwell again, the 12/13 year old lad part of me has to say it, and also on behalf of a few mates and school mates, THANKYOU for some great memories from that era, its hardly or rarely been equalled. :bow:
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

arcadia wrote: Paul is a mate of mine and lives in Keynsham finished his career in the Western League.

I live in Keynsham, how exciting to live near a Torquay hero!
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench

The goal Paul scored against West Ham was some strike, he's probably lived off the banter in the pub for years! I think he went on the beer on the Sunday and Cyril Knowles was not happy with him being in the papers, Paul will know the story better than me, but it was a short lived career and he could play!