Basingstoke FC V Torquay United - Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Time to respectfully ask some hard searching questions without being to reactionary.

Initially I was shocked and suprised at KN appointment, it was then pointed out to me the limitations the club were under and also the plan, hard work and contacts that KN would be bringing with him, Mr Miltons friendship being the main and I even heard Eddie Howes name mentioned in offering help. Again without being to reactionary, I am yet to see evidence of any of those attributes.

Whilst I don't doubt KN is putting in a shift & hard work the evidence to me of that hard work is that of a level when CH was here and I know there wasn't a lot of graft going on in midweek in that time so you have to ask is it the right sort of work?
Contacts, whilst I appreciate the only "bring ins" are going to be that of the free variety surely there has to be just one that would make a difference in Mr Miltons portfolio available or was too much made by KN of that friendship to obtain the position? Harsh maybe but we have seen little evidence of this supposed contact thus far. Plan B Clearly plan B. should be implemented ASAP. Someone mentioned they feared that KN was merely trying to further his playing career, not sure if I agree or disagree with that but I personally don't feel if he wasn't here would be playing at this level?

Just before you start berating me for my views you might wish consider this, I would currently drop KN and bring Exodus back in. I have never seen him back away from challenging a player, watch the next time KN faces an advancing opposing player.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dave, lets put up a hypothetical situation that might answer your concerns. Milts identifies a player that we can get on loan and gives the details and costs to Nico. Player 'X' is on £1000 a week at his parent club but we can have him if we pay £400 of that. Nico approaches the Board but gets told we can offer only £200. Now what do you think is the likelihood we'll end up getting player X? We could have had Lafayette but couldn't afford him. The situation is critical and the result on Saturday has made things nigh on impossible. The club needs us fans like never before.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Agree 100% Mike ;-)
Dave

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Get a bloody grip you lot. F*** me, quit your moaning at Nicholson. He's done a f**king good job to get the players in a position where they were able to take 5 points from three games and four consecutive good performances.

Everyone knows the score. We have a very limited bunch of players, and the lows will keep coming from time to time. But since Nico arrived, he's made everything a hell of a lot more positive than is has been for years.

The players will move on from this CUP result and they will put in some more battling performances. It was a one off game. It happens.

As a supporter, you're a bloody idiot if you haven't realised by now that things can always get worse. If you keep moaning and being negative and getting on the managers back, and slagging off individual players, it will get much worse as we will be relegated and will start losing to Basingstoke etc in the league if we still have a club. The only thing that will keep this club in the division is to fully get behind the manager and players and accept that it's just the way it is.

:goodpost:
TUST MEMBER
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Get a bloody grip you lot. F*** me, quit your moaning at Nicholson. He's done a f**king good job to get the players in a position where they were able to take 5 points from three games and four consecutive good performances.

Everyone knows the score. We have a very limited bunch of players, and the lows will keep coming from time to time. But since Nico arrived, he's made everything a hell of a lot more positive than is has been for years.

The players will move on from this CUP result and they will put in some more battling performances. It was a one off game. It happens.

As a supporter, you're a bloody idiot if you haven't realised by now that things can always get worse. If you keep moaning and being negative and getting on the managers back, and slagging off individual players, it will get much worse as we will be relegated and will start losing to Basingstoke etc in the league if we still have a club. The only thing that will keep this club in the division is to fully get behind the manager and players and accept that it's just the way it is.
:goodpost:
TUST number 080
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Agree with that. If we don't get behind the team then this will be our last season I fear. Bloody hard to accept though after yet another let down, but your comment is very well put.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Agreed the club needs us more than ever and will get that from the hard core, always.
But when you hear "I didn't prepair them properly" you tend to think was it quality or quantity that wasn't forthcoming training wise. Given CH attitude to training come the end you wonder what is going on in training. The chairmanship statement actually made me feel a little better at least someone's at TUFC getting angry.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Dave_Pougher wrote: But when you hear "I didn't prepair them properly" you tend to think was it quality or quantity that wasn't forthcoming training wise.
Not if you've got more than two functioning brain cells.

The old shit posted on here is hilarious, as if some of you have never seen football before.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:I have been watching Torquay for 55 years. Hate to say I told you so but I told you so. Unfortunately this result was almost a foregone conclusion. Apparently Basingstoke are an experienced team. A team that is experienced in losing it seems as they have not won a bloody league game all season.
We were all desperately clinging on to false hope that Nicholson had turned it around but the reality is that we have scraped one win in five (by one goal which is the only way we can win).
We have got a couple of draws but have lost three culminating in an absolute hammering by the worst team in the league below us.
We had to borrow a player off Bideford to make up the numbers and now seemed to be trialling some bloke with a stupid name who no one has ever heard of.
If this is the best that Breed and co can achieve perhaps they should have sold the club to George and Mushroom cause this is just embarrassing.
We don't know if Wivel agrees with Brucie 'cos he's being quiet on here. I suspect he's still celebrating Whitby Town's 2-1 home win which pushes them closer to the safety zone of the Ryman league (North) and some light at the end of the pier.

I wasn't at Saturday's match so can't comment on the 'performance'. It was said on here a while ago that as we have a mostly inexperienced side, there will be good and bad results. Saturday's result was dreadful of course. It's fairly obvious to most of us that there are players who won't be offered contracts next season unless they up their game considerably and consistently. No names, but they're the ones who never, or very rarely, appear in Gulliball's Top Five players after each match. Nicho has blamed himself (which is more than Hargreaves ever did) but in my opinion most of the blame must be on the players. He and Robbie Herrera must show their steel this week to make sure they get a reaction from the players at Altrincham next Saturday.

I don't understand the decision to bring on young Hancox even though the game was lost by then. Give him some game time, fair enough - but Sam Chaney also needs some game time. Nicho says what a good prospect he is (and I agree with him) but he's not going to realise his potential if he isn't playing. Does anyone know how close to fitness Josh Carmichael is? The midfield will be stronger with him and Richards plus Hurst and Butler.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Albeit the result, seeing a few videos of our support from the match (as I could not make it) does make me happy. We honestly do have the best fans around:

tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

It's hard to accept being beaten 3-0 by the worst team in the Conference South who haven't won a single league game this season. We all know the budget is tight but what is Basingstoke's budget? I don't see anyone really blaming Nicholson. He was always going to be on a hiding to nothing because he's inherited the worst set of players in the club's history. But let's not kid ourselves and pretend he's the messiah. We may have collected five points from our last three league games but we've also won one of six since he arrived. That's relegation form and we're going to need to average more than a point a game to stay up. These players haven't performed under four different managers this season. If Cox - who despite his ulterior motives is an experienced and successful manager at this level - couldn't get anything out of them then what hope has a complete novice with no coaching experience?
LesLawrencesAfro
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by LesLawrencesAfro »

Still cannot believe what I witnessed on Saturday. That has got to be the worst performance in all my 40+ years of watching United.... and I've seen some sh1te in that time. It has got to be the first time me and junior have ever left a United match early.

I fear for the future of this club. If we can't even perform against a team of part-timers languishing at the foot of the division below us, then what chance have we got.

Yes, we'll be at the next game and all those after that.... but are we enjoying it? not one bit.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

LesLawrencesAfro wrote:Still cannot believe what I witnessed on Saturday. That has got to be the worst performance in all my 40+ years of watching United.... and I've seen some sh1te in that time. It has got to be the first time me and junior have ever left a United match early.

I fear for the future of this club. If we can't even perform against a team of part-timers languishing at the foot of the division below us, then what chance have we got.

Yes, we'll be at the next game and all those after that.... but are we enjoying it? not one bit.

I think many would share your feelings but while we still have a club to support we have to brave it out. Fair play for you to keeping on going.
Dave

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes he has been fantastic - three defeats (including a 3-0 hammering by a pub side) two draws and one win.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Southampton Gull wrote:

I think many would share your feelings but while we still have a club to support we have to brave it out. Fair play for you to keeping on going.
Yes - spot on SG. During the last three seasons, many of us have been trekking up to Plainmoor as a duty rather than hoping to see an entertaining game of football. We supporters represent the survival of the club and the Grimsby match gave us some hope. I don't agree with TommyG that this is the worst set of players we have ever had. There is a lack of strength in depth so that when players like Hurst and Carmichael are out, we are struggling. Hopefully Fairhurst will be back soon and let's hope the French lad on loan from Port Vale can form a good partnership with Marsh.