Basingstoke FC V Torquay United - Match day thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Yep just remembered why I don't post on here as often.

Such a shame this forum has become a place where reasonable debate isn't possible.
Scorpion
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Danny Stevens

Post by Scorpion »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Yep just remembered why I don't post on here as often.

Such a shame this forum has become a place where reasonable debate isn't possible.
:goodpost:

Completely agree. Unfortunately some people are incapable of expressing an opinion without resorting to abuse.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

agreed Dave,it's a shame some people can't post without expletives****.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

I completely understand the number of people who are pissed off and frustrated by Saturday's match, so I mean no disrespect when I say that we should put the match in perspective: since Nicholson took over as manager, I've certainly seen a general vast improvement in the team. Hell, the Grimsby match was the best I've seen the team play since the Ling era! One match doesn't alter how much the team has come on in recent weeks, even if they played diabolically in that match. I remain hopeful that the fortunes of Torquay United will continue to improve over the coming weeks and months.
TUST member 203
Caldwellanddobson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by Caldwellanddobson »

We were awful on Saturday. We might play like Brazil next Saturday. Tbh you're only likely to get actual Torquay fans on this forum and if they believe the most recent performance was abysmal (it was), they are fully entitled to state that. An expression of opinion is what forums are for. What is important is what happens next on the pitch, and if posters fear that might be disappointing they have every right to express their fears. To recap, we were truly abject on Saturday and I am happy to share that with anyone. Does that make me any less of a Torquay fan? No. Just using an internet forum to express my opinion.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I have to agree we were sh t Saturday but we do have to stick by the manager and the players or we won't have a team next year times are hard but we do not want to lose our club. As for Tomogull spoke to one of the players yesterday and he said Carmichael has told him he is sticking around at least till January and hopes to be back this weekend from Bournemouth he feels he wants to try and get the gulls out of the mess they are in if he can.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We're not going to win every game. Performances are going to be inconsistent for a while yet. But we will climb the table, and finish the season on a high note. :)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Alley wrote: As for Tomogull spoke to one of the players yesterday and he said Carmichael has told him he is sticking around at least till January and hopes to be back this weekend from Bournemouth he feels he wants to try and get the gulls out of the mess they are in if he can.

Thanks for that Alley. Nice to have some good news after a bad weekend.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As usual I agree with brucie, tomogull. He speaks sense and tells us how it is. Not being at any TUFC matches for the past two seasons I feel that, usually, I ought to keep my mouth shut, especially as I remember the great, great days of the 60s. Everything must be judged by that time and that team and those performances.
Tomogull, Whitby Town belong to the Evostik League (Premier division). I think the Ryman League is a south-east confection. We got the biggest crowd of the season (276) on Saturday and I expect an even bigger one on Wednesday evening as we are at home to (fairly) local rivals, Blyth Spartans. We will get hammered, of course. Even so, there is no sense of despair here at Whitby which is so clear on these pages.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

So in essence you agree with someone who's been to one game all season and haven't been to a game yourself? Talk about the blind leading the blind......
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Never let the facts get in the way of a good provocative post. Made me laugh a couple of weeks ago when Brucie posted we never beat Aldershot, just below a list of our recent results against them, summed it up
TUST number 080
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote: I ought to keep my mouth shut, especially as I remember the great, great days of the 60s. Everything must be judged by that time and that team and those performances.
Tomogull, Whitby Town belong to the Evostik League (Premier division). I think the Ryman League is a south-east confection. We got the biggest crowd of the season (276) on Saturday and I expect an even bigger one on Wednesday evening as we are at home to (fairly) local rivals, Blyth Spartans. We will get hammered, of course. Even so, there is no sense of despair here at Whitby which is so clear on these pages.
Totally agree that the United team in the sixties was the best ever. Us old gits are lucky to have been around at that time. We are light years away from those heady days when Plainmoor really was a fortress. Now it's more like a sandcastle. But hey ho - we are where we are (the state of the club reflects the state of Torbay) and you have to be an eternal optimist to be a TUFC supporter to hope the good times will return. Unfashionable clubs like Mansfield, Newport and Accrington have regained league status and so will we ...... one day.

Lazy posting on my part not to check my Sunday rag for the league Whitby Town are in. I now look out for the results of your Whitby (and Andy's York, also looking precarious) and hope the season gets better for you. Whatever level of football you're used to, it's demoralising to drop down to the level below. Tough looking local derby against Blyth Spartans for your lot tomorrow night - good luck !! Bet it'll be bliddy cold up there next to the North Sea so as I might say to Brucie - wrap up !! :scarf:
furmax
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Aggy

Post by furmax »

I chose this as my first Gulls game of the season. I did not choose well. I have one obsevation to make. We played in a lovely, bright, white, kit. At the end this was largely still true. Despite the rain. And 90 minutes of non commited football.

Shocking!
A poster previously know as furzehamgull. @furmax
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Southampton Gull wrote:So in essence you agree with someone who's been to one game all season and haven't been to a game yourself? Talk about the blind leading the blind......
:lol:
TUST MEMBER
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

At least Exodus got something right at the start of the season.

It's disgusting coming to Plainmoor these days. The pitch is covered with 11 pieces of rubbish at least once every couple weeks, every time Brucie turns up the stands get filled with toxic waste and our Accounts Department must look like the aftermath of a nuclear bomb.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"