Torquay v Grimsby

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

FT 1-1
Commo saying the Gulls the better side
Well done one and all :clap: :bow:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

I'll take that. :clap:
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Well that's Dover, Woking and now Grimsby we've conceeded late on now. Would've taken a point before the game especially seeing as Grimsby hadn't lost in 10 games prior to today (11 now). In Nicho we trust!
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

well done all,Iwould have taken a point today . yet another sixpointer next week,against my better judgement Nico seems to have got the players playing for the shirt so good on him.Hope the progress continues.By the way , good crowd today,no doubt a contribution from Grimsby.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Stevie_RitchTea wrote:Attendance 2003 taking the cumulative total to 16125, 75 below the break-even attendance of 16200.

Average home attendance for the season now 1792
:goodpost:

Great effort from the yellow army considering some of the tripe we've been served this season. Onwards and upward.

Nicholson's yellow army! :)
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Very nice and very well deserved draw against a promotion chasing team. Little bit disappointed with the penalty though although I must say what a player Omar Bogle is, strong, quick, skilful, can read a game and knew when to go down to help out his team get a point. But the plaudits must go to our defence today, didn't do much wrong if anything at all today and to keep a team scoring for fun rely on a penalty to get something from the game is a real well done.

COYY :clap:
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Great to see the lads playing with such passion. Got to respect Nicho for that.

The positives:
Angus MacDonald - an absolute rock at the back today.
Courtney Richards - all action, confidence back up, looked the player he was before CH played him centre back.
The crowd - not many of us, but those that are going are getting right behind the team. The negativity has gone and realisation that we're not the big boys in this division means the fans are up for the fight like the players are. A togetherness between the team and fans seems to be back for the first time in a long time.

The negatives:
Defensively we are very panicky at times but hopefully results will breed confidence and organisation.
The officials - bloody hell they were bad. The popside linesman a waste of space. Throw ins taken 10 yards further down the line than where the ball went out - this lead to the penalty. No consistency in fouls or bookings and let the Grimsby players influence them every time they surrounded the ref.
The stewards - why is it everytime there is a big away support they can't cope!? Telling the home fans by the away end not to celebrate and stop dancing when we scored was ridiculous.

If we keep playing like we did today we'll be ok though. Plainmoor was an enjoyable place to be for a change and a great send off for Kenny Veysey who quite rightly got a standing ovation at full time.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Can't wait for KN post match he must be more gutted than me, we deserved three points there. Fantastic battling performance we restricted the leagues in form side to virtually zero shots on target. Ref was poor they played the ref permantly the booking of Hurst came as direct result of Grimsbys players hounding the ref. His hands were nowhere near his cards until they bullied him. Yes I'd of taken a point pre match but as per Woking I feel we deserved more.

Their No 9 was a disgrace but nowhere near as disgraceful as Bartlett behind me on the pop. More than once he insisted the same player should have a banana, embarrasing racist comments, the sooner he's banned the better.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Dave_Pougher wrote: Their No 9 was a disgrace but nowhere near as disgraceful as Bartlett behind me on the pop. More than once he insisted the same player should have a banana, embarrasing racist comments, the sooner he's banned the better.
What is this, the 1970s? I very much hope this person was condemned for his bigotry by the fans who were within earshot. No one wants to hear this bile at a football match, or anywhere else for that matter.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

Stevie_RitchTea wrote:Attendance 2003 taking the cumulative total to 16125, 75 below the break-even attendance of 16200.

Average home attendance for the season now 1792
Good stats, good way to look at it, nicely done
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Really good all action game. Angus played well, like him. The defence generally were pretty good. Not sure about Fisher, he never ever seems to be in the right place. Things are getting better and Nico seems to be steadying the ship. The break even is absolutely essential and I am always heartened when the crowd figure is above 1800. Feel much more confident about the team. Look forward to next week and the cup.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

Orange Gull wrote: What is this, the 1970s? I very much hope this person was condemned for his bigotry by the fans who were within earshot. No one wants to hear this bile at a football match, or anywhere else for that matter.
Well said, no place for that in football or anywhere for that matter. Kick it out
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Would have taken a point before the game, but a little disappointed to not win given the position we were in.

Grimsby were the better team for the first 30 minutes, but we more than matched them for the rest of the game. Having said that we created very few opportunities, and a draw was a fair result from the play.

Defence played very well, we just lacked any creativity going forward.

One thought from the match - why did Hurst go straight down the tunnel when he was substituted? He wasn't great today so potentially an injury, however it seemed a little unprofessional not to join his colleagues on the bench supporting the team.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

leetufc wrote:
One thought from the match - why did Hurst go straight down the tunnel when he was substituted? He wasn't great today so potentially an injury, however it seemed a little unprofessional not to join his colleagues on the bench supporting the team.
I might have misread the situation, but he looked pissed off to me. When he came back on at the end to shake hands, it looked to me that one of our guys had to actually put a hand on his back and get him to stick around for the huddle.
TUST member 203
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Just listened to Nico's post match analysis. If you can get to listen to it it's at 52 minutes on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033w7zm#play

He's very hoarse! 'both teams should be pretty proud of how they played today'. However, he's not satisfied with 4 points in last three matches but is 'relatively happy'