Torquay v Grimsby

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

gateman49 wrote:Just listened to Nico's post match analysis. If you can get to listen to it it's at 52 minutes on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033w7zm#play

He's very hoarse! 'both teams should be pretty proud of how they played today'. However, he's not satisfied with 4 points in last three matches but is 'relatively happy'
He will be slightly happier when it is actually 5 points not 4 :lol:
Lucy
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

I thought there was much to be pleased with today in a full throttle encounter with Grimsby today. It felt like a throwback to the better times at Plainmoor – two evenly matched decent teams giving their all, a decent atmosphere with a vocal 300+ from Grimsby and the yellow army doing their bit. There were decent moves from both sides, chances and most of all two totally committed teams. Pre-Nicholson this season Torquay would not have been able to handle Grimsby's skill and physicality and would have succumbed very weakly by probably 2 or 3 goals. But make no mistake about it, under Nicholson Torquay look revamped and play like a proper professional outfit again. We have to go back to the Buckle and Ling's eras in recent times to say that with any degree of confidence. Torquay dug in well against an in form Grimsby and almost won it. A draw was probably a fair score line. Crowd 2,003, sponsors MOTM captain MacDonald.

Grimsby started confidently as you would expect from a team who had just won 7-0 in mid-week and asked questions of Torquay's defending. In the opening 30 minutes Grimsby must have had around half a dozen decent chances. Spiess did well coming off his line to smother a 1-on-1 and there some decent last ditch defending and let-offs. Richards had a decent long range effort saved and as the half wore on, the play evened out to a mainly hard fought midfield battle. There were times when Torquay played some good passing moves. Then on 38 minutes Torquay took the lead. A Richard's effort flew over their keeper and Marsh headed in at close range.

Torquay probably edged the second half and at times Grimsby resorted to trying to rough Torquay up. Torquay stood up to their physical challenge well. Grimsby's equalizer was a little strange and came at a time when there seemed little threat. A breakaway caught out Torquay with their striker with just Spiess to beat on the edge of the area. Spiess rushed out, the ball was dinked over him and went just wide. Phew, I thought, that was a close one. However the ref pointed to the spot for Spiess colliding into him? The penalty was stroked in at ease. Grimsby found an extra gear again and Spiess made an excellent diving save at close range pushing the ball past the post at full stretch. Torquay stood up well for the rest of the match and had some corners and free-kicks towards the end.

There were no 3 points today but another morale boosting performance against a team who will certainly be challenging this season. There seems to be some strong foundations being built by Nicholson that should steer us clear from relegation this season if we maintain this level of performance. We are no longer easy pushovers and our approach play is now decent. Some friends at the end said we are missing a decent keeper and centre forward. Well, Spiess is erratic I'm afraid. One minute he makes match winning saves, then other times he's flapping at crosses and is all at sea. I don't know if he was at fault giving the penalty away as it was down the other end from me? As for a centre forward, Marsh shows good skill and pace and again today was at the right place at the right time. But Fisher looks quite average to me.

I really like Butler in left midfield and he has a really good left foot delivery. A young Nicholson, my son says. There is a much better balance to the team with Nicholson and Butler on the left and the impressive Berry and the enigma Hurst on the right. MacDonald seems to be maturing since he's been made captain and Smith alongside him is very consistent. Richards really shone in midfield today and is back to his best.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I'm interested in people's opinion on the penalty. From where I was (about five yards past the half way line towards the away end) my initial reaction was that the forward stabbed it towards goal clipping Spiess on the way through. This feeling was shared by those around me. That's why I was so upset about it anyway!

He definitely clattered into him after the forward had kicked it, though, so if it didn't touch Spiess I guess it's a pen.

Surprised to see the harsh words on Fisher. Thought he worked incredibly hard today, also won a fair few headers against a physical side. We rarely had the ball on the floor (not a moan, nature of the game) but I thought he battled really well and occupied their defenders.

Another positive performance though. I was against Nicholsons appointment, but it has to be said we have improved since he came in. Most notably in work rate and defensive play.

I would like to see another forward come in, although I like fisher we can't rely on two forwards all the time (forget yeoman, might as well not be here) . With a couple of astute additions/loan signings, and a continuation of our current play, I can't see any reason why we can't finish mid table. Next week vital - need the cash for players.
Yellow74
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellow74 »

Good performance today, actually enjoyed the game! Maintain this level of enthusiasm, effort and desire and we will be alright this season! Some encouraging foundations being laid
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Agree entirely with Kit Robin. It's an excellent summary of a good game.

I would say this wouldn't I but I am bit confused by the penalty. If the shot had gone in a goal would have been awarded so the referee gave to it to Grimsby both ways. They were a really good side but moaned and moaned at every decision not going their way so got a bit lucky with this one I think.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Hilarious take on the game from Grimsby's manager. Interesting thinks half of our team should have been sent !! Apparently shirt pulling is a sending off offence ! If so then plenty of that lot should have gone. Jeez as for Tait what a cheating pile of excrement he should of got a straight red ! As for their off the ball "challenges" well we could be here all night !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34493881

:@ :@

Great performance from our team and showing some promise..... :)
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

It was a rarity seeing the oppositions players who were being subbed run off the pitch, normally its a gentle carefree stroll in an effort to slow the game down. YEAH.. WELL... watch out cuz WE ARE BACK AND WE ARE COMING FOR YOU.. WE ARE UNITED. ONYA NICHO
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

I must confess, I was taken aback by the penalty. I saw Speiss come out to intercept their forward, the forward kick the ball past Speiss and go wide of the goal, and then the ref give a pen. We were five yards or so off the halfway line, towards the away end, and everyone seemed utterly baffled.
TUST member 203
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I was very much against Nicholson being appointed as manager, not because I didn't like him but more because I did not feel a rookie was what we needed. However, to his credit, he summoned a performance out of his players today that made me care about the outcome for the first time in almost a year, in a game I very nearly did not attend today - although I am very glad I did. Had I not gone today, then it was likely December would have been the next time I attended but more performances like today will arrest the dip in attendances.

The crowd and the team were together and the style of football was a world away from the rank stuff I saw the last time I came. An improved performance v Dover, a win v Southport, a draw at Woking and now a draw v Grimsby. I suppose we would have been happy with that.

I thought Torquay were excellent today in the context of the state they were in when losing to Bromley and Boreham Wood. I didn't think it was penalty, although I guess replays may prove me wrong but Bogle had chipped the ball over Spiess before there was any contact.

I thought every Torquay player gave it their all today and MacDonald deserved his m.o.m award. Whilst Nicholson is not the fastest player, and his playing days are numbered, I do think he led by example. I certainly saw enough today that has persuaded me to attend my first away game for some time next week at Basingstoke.

Just perhaps the cheap, local option is going to be the diamond in the rough we needed. Nicholson has certainly gone a long way to changing my original view.
Last edited by hector on 17 Oct 2015, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular

Post by A Realist »

Kit_robin wrote:I'm interested in people's opinion on the penalty.
I thought it was harsh. The striker got his shot away before any contact was made so he was not impeded or put off by Speiss. Once he would have realised that it was going wide, there was not a hope in hell of him catching the ball and tapping it in so it cant be claimed that a clear goalscoring opportunity was denied. I think they were lucky to get it tbh though I did feel they deserved a draw today.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Hector, I came away from Woking feeling exactly the same as you've described. A couple of additions to the squad will only add to the current optimism I have.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Grimsby played some good football but didn't do a lot with it. They hit the post and had one cleared off the line but we fully deserved a point and on another day it would have been all 3 had the ref not given the penalty (still maintain that it wasnt.)

Fair play to Grimsby for bringing over 350. Made a lot of noise although looked like they found out how much we regard our stewards after they equalized.

Can only feel positive after the last week. Seen us at Southport, Woking and today and the performances are getting better. We battled hard today and 5 points out of 9 is a pretty decent return considering how poor we have been.

Let's make an effort to go to Basingstoke and support the team. Together we are united!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Whoops, thanks Lucy I can't count and I'm an accountant! Yes 5 from 3 matches.

I've just listened to their manager's take on the match too, he thought we ought to be down to 8 men! So, he completely ignores the fact that MacDonald was crudely taken out twice and Fisher was flattened by what appeared to be an elbow in the face (that was just a yellow card).

Talk about looking through the wrong end of a telescope
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Dutchgull »

Their manager is a complete Ars*wipe !!