Torquay v Grimsby

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Grimsby looked like a team that was used to bullying the opposition. We didn't let that happen. During the first 10 minutes I thought if we don't get hold of Bogle then it is going to be an unpleasant afternoon. I was concerned that it appeared to be Smith marking him. I thought it should have been MacDonald however, once Smith got into it he was great. The whole team worked hard and deserved a win as reward. I thought Heslop and Fisher were the weakest performers. Although both finished stronger than they started. Heslop has to speed up his decision making, he doesn't pick a pass quickly enough and slows our attack down, ending up play a square ball to the fullback. That said, he was really pumped up and committed right to the end. Fisher needs to time his runs to support teamates better, particularly when the fullbacks are under pressure and looking for an out up the line. Again I thought he improved as the game went on winning more in the air. The defence was excellent, although things got a bit panicky at the end, but I think fatigue was setting in aand our whole team shape broke down a little. Richards showed great leadership I thought, really buying into the team ethic. He also managed to get the ball down when it was pinging around. Will never be the greatest passer but brought some calm when it was badly needed. I hope Marsh continues to put away those close range chances, we've missed that for a few years. Butler worked so hard and had nothing left, needs to keep whipping those crosses in from setpieces and open play and not go for the easier lofted ball,; put in a couple of great deliveries. I have been a big fan of Hurst, but I think he showed why he is with us rather than playing higher, it was poor attitued to stalk off down the tunnel. I was sat over the dugout and Richards said to Vesey, 'what was that all about ' and shook his head. Hope it is sorted.
The fact that I have written my longest post ever, shows how much yesterday's game enthused me. Looking forward to more and better!
TUST number 080
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Can't understand their reaction. Yes there were a couple of mistimed tackles and their number five complained of an elbow in the face but it wasn't a dirty game and their bad-tempered reaction left me feeling that they are a team who don't like it when they don't get their own way - and for much of the game they were definitely second best (the opening 30 mins excepted).

Good show from our boys and, no, it wasn't a penalty - the ref realised he had made the wrong decision by only giving Spiess a yellow card not a red.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

That's a cracking post from Hector above, amongst others :clap: What a difference a few weeks can make, I felt the same after the Boreham wood game, I walked away from the ground that night feeling the whole football had the feel of a close dying relative about it, I couldn't see where TUFC was going, or where it was going to end up, I can now.

The difference between the performance against Aldershot and Dover was night and day, the team have then, gone and won at Southport, picked up a very good draw at Woking, and an even better point against one of the genuine title contenders.

Yesterday, above and beyond the result was the performance, I would rate that the best performance of the season, not just for effort, application and desire, but look at our defending yesterday, just a few short weeks ago we conceded 7 against Bromley, looked all over the place, no defensive shape, or idea, came up against Bogle , Almond and the lad the brought on in the second half, Mackreth I think his name was, these three looked like they could run many a football league back line ragged, our back line was organised and conceded very few chance against a team who'd scored 7 themselves in the prior midweek.

Special mention for Angus MacDonald, giving him the captains armband is beginning to look like a stroke of genius, his on pitch attitude and performances are 10 times better since being given that responsibility.

special mention also for Spiess and Fisher, not enough to get in my top five, but Spies has made an incredible save from point blank range saved us a point, and Fisher when substituted runs half way of the pitch before turning, runs back and shakes the hand of the referee, the most intelligent piece of time wasting I've ever seen.

The team are looking game by game more relaxed and comfortable with the style of football there being asked to play, the improvements across the park are clear for all to see, carry one playing at the current level, our team will get the midtable finish I believe their capable of, just a few additions to this squad with Fairhurst coming back in and maybe towards the seasons end Young as well, and maybe this will turn out to be a successful season after all.

On the penalty, in my view Bogle got his shot away before being taken down by Spiess, how in the name of sanity can that be a penalty, in fact I thought Spiess had saved the shot, but, the one thing that is throwing a seed of doubt in my head is the lack of protest.

A goalkeeper knows in his own mind whether he's conceded a penalty or not and regardless of whether the manager has told players not to protest a refereeing decision , when you're trying to hang on, to what would be a priceless win, you'd do your nuts if you thought a wrong penalty decision had been given against you.

I enjoyed the match yesterday, a long time since I could genuinely say that, for the first time I can say I actually watched all 90 minutes of the game, massive well done to Nicholson and the team, and thank you for restoring my pride, confidence and self belief in the team I support, I feel I want to go and support my team, rather than doing it out of duty.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Modgull wrote:Can't understand their reaction. Yes there were a couple of mistimed tackles and their number five complained of an elbow in the face but it wasn't a dirty game and their bad-tempered reaction left me feeling that they are a team who don't like it when they don't get their own way - and for much of the game they were definitely second best (the opening 30 mins excepted).

Good show from our boys and, no, it wasn't a penalty - the ref realised he had made the wrong decision by only giving Spiess a yellow card not a red.
The manager and players would never admit it but I think they thought they were playing another bottom club that as just going to roll over.
TUST number 080
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

I've heard it said a few times recently now, but I genuinely think your luck does even out over a season!! 110% nailed on penno for Woking last Tuesday not given, a very dubious (from what I have read from a lot of people) and soft penno given yesterday!! Don't think we can complain too much in all fairness!!

Anyways, onwards and upwards!! Nicho, in a short space of time has got the belief back in a very young squad and thankfully we now look like a team worthy of competing with anyone in this league. I just hope and pray that this coming Saturday isn't a banana skin waiting to happen. We need this decent run to continue, but more importantly in my opinon, we need the FA's cash!!!!
Last edited by tufc si on 18 Oct 2015, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep, I just put the Grimsby managers reaction down a man under extreme pressure, they were heavily backed as favourites to win the league, he's had the backing from his club to deliver automatic promotion, they came up against a team everyone connected with Grimsby was expecting to win comfortably.

Not only did they fail to win, they got outplayed in parts of the game, so as expected their manager is going to blame everything but himself for their failure, it will get to a point and Paul Hurst will know this, if it starts to look like he is not going to deliver the promotion Grimsby want, he'll get sacked, once again they've drawn after a win, he (Hurst) showed maybe that pressure is getting to him a bit with his after match reaction.

Which of course is a complete load of ballhooks.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes you are dead right - we are perceived as the whipping boys in this league and we have to get rid of that stigma whereby every team turns up expecting to beat us.
He obviously expected three points and you can tell by his reaction he isn't happy. As I said before the game Grimsby are not winning their away games.
A decent point nonetheless really. That's 5 points out of 15 for Nicholson so nothing to go overboard about really. Woking lost again at home yesterday - still at least we are not losing I suppose.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

I need to replace mine so how many ballhooks in a complete load? And how much?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

5 from 15 sounds rubbish, except when you look at it another way, which is that those 5 points have come from the last three games - 5 from 9, which sounds so much better and is a far greater reflection of our current form.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

tufc si wrote:I've heard it said a few times recently now, but I genuinely think your luck does even out over a season!! 110% nailed on penno for Woking last Tuesday not given, a very dubious (from what I have read from a lot of people) and soft penno given yesterday!! Don't think we can complain too much in all fairness!!

Anyways, onwards and upwards!! Nicho, in a short space of time has got the belief back in a very young squad and thankfully we now look like a team worthy of competing with anyone in this league. I just hope and pray that this coming Saturday isn't a banana skin waiting to happen. We need this decent run to continue, but more importantly in my opinon, we need the FA's cash!!!!
Our luck hasnt really evened out there if yesterdays wasnt a penalty. Wokings evened out for them because their first goal was well offside, they were denied a clear penalty, so even and a fair result. We have been hard done by a few times this season by the sound of it, no luck again yesterday though if their penalty shouldnt have been given.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A fantastic performance by us yesterday. We totally matched Grimsby in all corners of the pitch and we made them very frustrated. We really should have won the game, it was never a penalty. Their striker had a chance on goal, contact was then made, he missed his shot. Robbed by a huge three points, but even one point seems huge at the moment. Full credit to Nicho, he seems to be doing the job thus far, but we really need to start winning games and move up the table. Two criticisms of the game; it was annoying that we played so deep in the second half and taking off Hurst for the second game running was another poor decision.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Modgull wrote:.....their number five complained of an elbow in the face.....
Yes, he did, the dirty, cheating bastard. The 'incident' happened right in front of where we were sitting. The prat managed to mis-aim a header and hit the ball on the side of his face. No one touched him, as he well knew. Being charitable, perhaps he was embarrassed by hurting himself with the ball and decided to point fingers. He was roundly mocked by our section of the crowd for the rest of the match whenever he touched the ball. What a idiot.

EDIT: oh, and the incident happened right next to Paul Hurst and he was also well aware that no one touched their #5 (Pearson).
TUST member 203
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

What a match ! That's the best game I've seen at Plainmoor for four years since Martin Ling was manager. It's all been said already. Good report from Swanny and Lloyder. Grimsby are a very good side, better than both Barnet and Bristol Rvrs who went up last season. Good players but they're also a strong physical side. Their two forwards were backing into Smith and Macdonald all match and getting away with it and even being awarded free kicks. I didn't like the way the Grimsby players crowded around the ref at every opportunity to put pressure on him. Those tactics must come from the manager. As evidence the penalty decision was dubious was that there was not a huge cry for a penalty from the Grimsby supporters behind the goal. Lots of positives. Most of all seeing us play football at a good tempo. Nicho has set the standard. If that's how we play, we will not be relegated.

I forgot to add - the support the fans gave the team yesterday was fantastic. It has been a long time since Plainmoor rocked like that :clap:
Last edited by tomogull on 18 Oct 2015, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
GTFCfan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GTFCfan »

Lloyder5 wrote: The manager and players would never admit it but I think they thought they were playing another bottom club that as just going to roll over.
Just to put a Grimsby fans perspective on this, after 5 and a bit year in this hell-hole league, neither our players, manager or fans (except a few idiots on The Fishy) ever expect us to just turn up and turn a team over. Our achilles heel every season is failing to beat the teams near the bottom.
Last year we dropped points to Telford, Dartford, Nuneaton and Altrincham twice.
This season already we have dropped points to yourselves twice, Kiddy and Altrincham.
These are the games we always struggle in, so if you really believe we just expected to turn up and win, you are well mistaken.
Should be winning these sorts of games with our budget ----Yes. Expect to win them ------Hell no!!! :|
Anyway good luck for the season, seems like you are back trying to play football now instead of Cox hoofball tactics, good to see. :-D
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

GTFCfan wrote: Just to put a Grimsby fans perspective on this, after 5 and a bit year in this hell-hole league, neither our players, manager or fans (except a few idiots on The Fishy) ever expect us to just turn up and turn a team over. Our achilles heel every season is failing to beat the teams near the bottom.
Last year we dropped points to Telford, Dartford, Nuneaton and Altrincham twice.
This season already we have dropped points to yourselves twice, Kiddy and Altrincham.
These are the games we always struggle in, so if you really believe we just expected to turn up and win, you are well mistaken.
Should be winning these sorts of games with our budget ----Yes. Expect to win them ------Hell no!!! :|
Anyway good luck for the season, seems like you are back trying to play football now instead of Cox hoofball tactics, good to see. :-D
That was the best we've played for a long, long time. I really enjoyed the match - great advert for National League. You don't have to tell us about losing to the bottom teams - even Alfreton got the double over us last season. On yesterday's performance, you should get promotion this season. You're a far better side than either Barnet or Bristol Rvrs were last season. Just one niggle - I didn't like the way the Grimsby players crowded around the ref every time a decision went against them. Is this one of Paul Hurst's more dubious tactics?

Also - now be honest - did you think it was a penalty? There wasn't much of a howl for a penalty from your lot and it happened right in front of you. Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season and we hope you start beating the bottom clubs 'cos we want to get above them. :-D