Torquay v Grimsby

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay v Grimsby

Post by Dave »

After a positive week on the road that saw our team gain a vital win, and probably one of the most important wins for some time at Southport, followed by a very good point at Woking, we welcome Grimsby Town to Plainmoor (LWS) .

Once again, thanks to the way fixtures are worked out in the national league, we find ourselves playing a team we met just a short weeks ago. I believe it was Mariners fans who started this player fund idea, they raised a sum that has dwarfed others, it was also well documented that Grimsby started this season as favourites for the league title, however, whilst still sat 4th in the table things haven't gone totally as expected for The Mariners. Grimsby since we met in late August, have only lost one game, however have drawn more games than they've won, leaving many Grimsby fans questioning team selections and tactics.

Grimsby top goalscorers and season stats

Padraig Amond 10
Omar Bogle 9
Nathan Arnold 4
Craig Clay 3
Andy Monkhouse 3
Jon-Paul Pittman 3
Craig Disley 1
Josh Gowling 1
Aristote Nsiala

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE
% Points (HOME) 62% (AWAY) 38%
% Goals scored (HOME) 68% (AWAY) 32%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 59% (AWAY) 41%

Current from

Grimsby; D-W-D-W-D-W

22 Sep Wrexham 0-0 Grimsby
26 Sep Southport 0-4 Grimsby
3 Oct Grimsby 1-1 Forest Green
6 Oct Grimsby 2-1 Gateshead
10 Oct Braintree 0-0 Grimsby
13 Oct Grimsby 7-0 Halifax Town

Last time out

Grimsby 7-0 Halifax Town

01 McKeown
02 Tait
05 Pearson
16 Clay
26 Townsend
22 Nsiala
20 Arnold
08 Disley (Brown - 63' )
11 Monkhouse (Marshall - 22' )
09 Bogle (Tomlinson - 71' )
10 Amond

Substitutes
04 Brown
07 Mackreth
14 Marshall
23 East
27 Tomlinson

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst told BBC Radio Humberside:

"I'm struggling really to find much to complain about. I'm disappointed Andy Monkhouse has had to come off but, other than that, I don't think it could have gone much better.

"Given Halifax's form and mental state, we wanted to not give them anything to really hang on to. We got in front and then, when Andy got his injury, just for a short while, the game stuttered a little.

"Once we got the second we really pushed on and probably overall the most pleasing thing for me is the second-half performance.

"At half-time at 4-0 up you know realistically the game is won but, to keep that intensity and desire to get more goals, that's what I was asking for at half-time."

From a Torquay United point of view

It's amazing what a good week can do when you're struggling, our first win in 12 games followed by a very credible point at Woking, 4 points from our last 3 games might not seem a good return, but the main thing for me has been the vastly improved performances, reading the forums and social media, talking to fellow fans there's certainly a notable increase in positivity, but, we know our home is wretched, and when you could do with a break the fixture computer sends us Grimsby Town.

Grimsby come down of the back of a 7.0 win versus FC Halifax, normally I'd view this as a concern, however The Shaymen, have lost by 7 twice in a month and have consistently been one of the teams in this division poorer than ourselves. Positives going into this game, two of our more influential players in Angus MacDonald and Dan Butler both return from suspension having sat out the midweek draw, and the clear improvement in our team from an attacking point of view, when Kevin Nicholson talked about players playing with a smile on there face, he got laughed at in certain sections, I knew it was a figure of speech, I knew what he meant, and we've seen over the few short weeks Nicho has been here, a better body language from the players, they looked more relaxed out on the pitch, and more comfortable in the playing style adopted since Nicho's arrival.

Featuring Kenny Veysey

Normally I pick a player from the opposing side who I think might be of interest to the readers, today I think it's only right to feature Kenny Veysey who leaves our club after tomorrows game. Across football, fans can label the word 'legend' on players sometimes a bit cheaply in my opinion, I think it's easy to miss who the real legends are, I've been lucky enough to meet Kenny Veysey, got know what smashing bloke he is, even when you see him out and about always got time for a chat.

Kenny after failing to make the grade at Arsenal, moved to Devon with his family and signed for Dawlish Town, originally signed for Torquay by then manager Cyril Knowles in 1987, but would return to the club in 1997 for a second spell, Kenny suffered the hearbreak of missing out on a Wembley appearance twice in his time at Torquay, a serious leg injury would rule him out of the 1989 Sherpa van final, and a straight red card in the final game of the season at Leyton orient with the Gulls needing just a point, Kenny scarified himself to deny Orient a killer third goal from a one on one situation and would be suspended for the eventual play-off final V Colchester.

Kenny Veysey has given so much time to Torquay United over the years, as a player, goalkeeper coach not just to the first team keepers, but the youth team, development squad right down to the academy U8's in the past, Kenny has been the kit man and a tireless hard working jack of all trades for our club, I hope he gets the send off deserved tomorrow.

Torquay United top goalscorers and season stats

James Hurst 7
Alex Fisher 5
Tyrone Marsh 3
Dan Butler 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Courtney Richards 1

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE
% Points (home) 29% (away) 71%
% Goals scored (home) 36% (away) 64%
% Goals conceded (home) 53% (away) 47%

Current form

Torquay United L-L-L-L-W-D

22 Sep Torquay Utd 1-2 Boreham Wood
26 Sep Lincoln City 2-0 Torquay Utd
3 Oct Torquay Utd 0-2 Aldershot To.
6 Oct Torquay Utd 2-3 Dover Athlet.
10 Oct Southport 0-1 Torquay Utd
13 Oct Woking 2-2 Torquay Utd

Last time out

Woking 2-2 Torquay Utd

01 Spiess
29 Berry
28 Hickford
16 Richards Booked
24 Nicholson
26 Heslop
02 Hurst Booked (Bell - 90' )
18 Smith
07 Briscoe (Marsh - 46' )
04 Fenwick (Murombedzi - 75' )
17 Fisher

Substitutes
10 Marsh
11 Murombedzi
14 Yeoman
21 Lavercombe
27 Bell

Player-manager on our draw at Woking...

TORQUAY United player-manager, Kevin Nicholson, has given his verdict on our 2-2 draw at Woking.

"We just weren't at it in the first half," he admitted. "Fair play to the lads because we had a good chat at half-time where I told them to relax and be ugly when we didn't have the ball and pretty when we did, and I felt that we did just that after the break.

"The way we played in the second half is progression. There is still a lot of hard work to be done, but we are moving in the right direction and that's all I can ask.

"We're in control of what we do; if we continue to improve and do the right things, we'll get to where we want to be.

"We maybe needed to be a bit more ruthless when we were on top, but overall I was happy with our night's work and now we will go away and prepare for our next test at the weekend."

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 4FU2WOs.99

Head to Head meetings

English Division Three (old)

06.02.1961 Torquay United 0-0 Grimsby Town
15.04.1961 Grimsby Town 4-2 Torquay United
22.08.1961 Grimsby Town 2-3 Torquay United
30.08.1961 Torquay United 1-2 Grimsby Town
10.09.1966 Grimsby Town 1-0 Torquay United
14.01.1967 Torquay United 3-1 Grimsby Town
23.09.1967 Grimsby Town 1-1 Torquay United
03.02.1968 Torquay United 1-0 Grimsby Town

English Division Four (old)

05.11.1977 Torquay United 3-1 Grimsby Town
31.12.1977 Grimsby Town 3-1 Torquay United
02.09.1978 Grimsby Town 3-0 Torquay United
11.11.1978 Torquay United 3-1 Grimsby Town
03.09.1988 Grimsby Town 1-0 Torquay United
14.01.1989 Torquay United 2-2 Grimsby Town
26.08.1989 Torquay United 0-3 Grimsby Town
13.01.1990 Grimsby Town 0-0 Torquay United

English League Two

17.09.2005 Grimsby Town 3-0 Torquay United
21.01.2006 Torquay United 2-2 Grimsby Town
22.12.2006 Grimsby Town 2-0 Torquay United
26.01.2007 Torquay United 4-1 Grimsby Town
19.09.2009 Torquay United 0-2 Grimsby Town
17.04.2010 Grimsby Town 0-3 Torquay United

English Conference

13.09.2014 Grimsby Town 0-2 Torquay United
18.10.2014 Torquay United 2-3 Grimsby Town

English National League

22.08.2015 Grimsby Town 2-2 Torquay United (last meeting)
Last edited by Dave on 16 Oct 2015, 19:56, edited 5 times in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

No need to apologise. Based on Grimsby's form we will draw, but they are due a defeat. I predict another 2-2 result
Lucy
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

This is a difficult one for me - I come and see Torquay when I can as they're my local club but I was born in cleethorpes so obviously Grimsby are my team and always have been

They're looking good right now. I think it's 10 games unbeaten and as well as knocking in goals they've tightened up at the back too. I saw the game in August when the teams drew 2-2 and I reckon Cox's tactics were spot on that day so it was a shock that Torquay's season didn't kick on from that point. Even Exodus looked pretty handy.

I reckon Town will win this Saturday - Amond, Arnold, Bogle are in great form - but look out for Conor Townsend on loan from Hull, he's total class.

I'll be back supporting Torquay next home game
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Like almost every game at present, this is another difficult looking match. Yet I see it as a match where we will be able to gauge just where we are at present. I'm looking forward to a good game - they usually are against Grimsby. Hopefully Mr. Huxtable won't be the ref. I'm obviously hoping for a win but I think a draw is more realistic. But even if we lose but put up a good fight, it will give us confidence that Nicho is setting the team in the right direction to get us away from a relegation battle which we do not want.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

RichyMills wrote:This is a difficult one for me - I come and see Torquay when I can as they're my local club but I was born in cleethorpes so obviously Grimsby are my team and always have been

I'll be back supporting Torquay next home game
Riding two horses at the same time! Could you do that half-time at Plainmoor? Whilst holding a bucket? :~D
Last edited by Gullscorer on 16 Oct 2015, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

At half time I'll hopefully be either eating a pie or drinking a pint ;-)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

The train comes off the rails......
TUFC (0) 0
Grimsby (2) 5

Att: 1,981
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Going to be a difficult game, but could do with getting something out of this. Apart from us and Altrincham everyone in 15th downwards are playing each other, so there is potential that teams above us pull away or those below us catch up to add extra pressure.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Match thread now completed, sorry for the delay. Yep it's going to be a long afternoon, but now looking forward to the game, couldn't have said that 2 weeks ago. COYY :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Just hope we can put in a competitive performance to give the crowd something to shout about.

Latest odds from one of the bookies are:

Torquay Win 9/2
Draw 11/4
Grimsby win 4/7

I'm going for a 2-2 draw

Att: 1762
TUST No 278
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

It's not a great time to be playing them, as they've found some form and are scoring for fun at the moment. Hopefully though we can continue to show some signs of progress, and maybe catch them on an off day.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Bad feeling about this one sadly, was hoping for a run of positive results. 0-4
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

3-1 to us.

Season has started to take shape finally and we'll go on a run of form now.

COYY!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Funny that, I've got a good feeling about this, I reckon it will only be 3-0 ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Southampton Gull wrote:Funny that, I've got a good feeling about this, I reckon it will only be 3-0 ;-)
A hat-trick from Spiess..? ;-) :)