Torquay v Grimsby

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
GTFCfan
Trialist
Trialist

Post by GTFCfan »

It was one of those pens that you are happy to take, but given against i would be furious, so if i were a neutral i would say not a pen, Bogle had already put it wide so i can see why you feel hard done to there.
I did think we were well worth a point though, and last 10 mins i really thought we were gonna nick it.
It does seem to ring true about things evening themselves out though, we have had 2 shockers given against us this season, away at Lincoln when Rhead (in his own words) "dropped to the floor professionally" to get a pen and red card for Gowling, and then a 'goal' conceded at Altrincham when the ball was nowhere near over the line.
Not that any of that makes the pen yesterday any easier for you to swallow of course, just pointing it out.
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Fully enjoyed the game yesterday!! Great to see a side battling for each other and trying their nuts off.

Speiss - Made some great saves but still worries me. Whenever we concede a goal he has done something to cause it.
Berry - Steady as ever.
Nicholson - Not doing a lot wrong at the moment. If he comes up against a pacy winger he could be in trouble.
Angus - Class
Smith - The Port Vale centre backs must be good if he can't get in their side. Coped very well against a big, strong striker.
Butler - Really like him. Puts in a good shift.
Heslop - I do feel he is getting better each game.
Richards - Showing good form.
Hurst - Really does create chances for us and gives a great goal threat but he does worry me sometimes. (will give my reasons after this).
Marsh - Looks lively and I do feel the more games he plays the more goals will come from him as he will be sharper.
Fisher - Does cover some ground and chases all day long but I'm not convinced.

I think the penalty was harsh. But as soon as Speiss had made the contact, the ref put the whistle straight to his mouth but didn't actually blow until the ball went wide.

Grimsby certainly didn't like the fact they were being outplayed. They surrounded the ref all the time in the second half.

On to Hurst, whilst I think he is a great talent and is certainly one of our keys players at the moment, I have my concerns.
1) He leaves Berry very vulnerable at the back. He rarely gets back and is almost walking back when we haven't got the ball.
2) Was in tracksuit after he got subbed yesterday and had to be sent over to clap the fans as he actually turned away after the huddle.
3) Is it case he thinks he is maybe playing below his level and not buying into Nicholsons way of thinking?! Did he sign simply cause Cox was Manager etc?!
Maybe I'm looking to much into it.

Anyway, fully confident we will be ok for the rest of the season. Good to get over 2k there. Thanks to Grimsby for adding to the numbers. Was a really good atmosphere.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

GTFCfan wrote:It was one of those pens that you are happy to take, but given against i would be furious, so if i were a neutral i would say not a pen, Bogle had already put it wide so i can see why you feel hard done to there.
I did think we were well worth a point though, and last 10 mins i really thought we were gonna nick it.
It does seem to ring true about things evening themselves out though, we have had 2 shockers given against us this season, away at Lincoln when Rhead (in his own words) "dropped to the floor professionally" to get a pen and red card for Gowling, and then a 'goal' conceded at Altrincham when the ball was nowhere near over the line.
Not that any of that makes the pen yesterday any easier for you to swallow of course, just pointing it out.
Honest viewpoint - thanks. Maybe things do even out over the season because every, or most, Gulls fans who were at the Woking match last Tuesday said that Woking should have had a nailed on penalty. Hope you had a good trip down to this neck of the woods and enjoyed the match as much as we did.

Added in 5 minutes 35 seconds:
wivelgull wrote:The train comes off the rails......
TUFC (0) 0
Grimsby (2) 5
Att: 1,981
Oh dear, Wivel - way out with that prediction but you got close with the attendance. You have my sympathies though 'cos I see that Whitby Town lost again and are now next to bottom, five points from safety. Never mind - there's still a lot of points to play for (as we say in Torquay). ;-)
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

tomogull wrote:
Honest viewpoint - thanks. Maybe things do even out over the season because every, or most, Gulls fans who were at the Woking match last Tuesday said that Woking should have had a nailed on penalty. Hope you had a good trip down to this neck of the woods and enjoyed the match as much as we did.

Again -

chunkygull wrote -

Our luck hasnt really evened out there if yesterdays wasnt a penalty. Wokings evened out for them because their first goal was well offside, they were denied a clear penalty, so even and a fair result. We have been hard done by a few times this season by the sound of it, no luck again yesterday though if their penalty shouldnt have been given.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Having not seen the game I cannot really comment but are Grimsby actually better than Bristol Rovers or Barnet? - the league table wouldn't say so.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Might give you Barnet Brucie but I think you will find Rovers were not as well placed as Grimsby are currently at this stage of the season. Grimsby reminded me of Barnet last year. Very fast,very tough -we did well to stay with them. I suspect they will win this league.
Norfolk Mariner
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Norfolk Mariner »

Always enjoy my trips down to the south-west (a modest profit at Wincanton races on Friday helped in that) and if your boys put in the kind of shift they did yesterday consistently, then I can't see how you'll have any relegation worries at all come the end of the season. I don't expect any of our rivals to find it easy down there either.

That said, I firmly believe we should have won. The first half was a complete role reversal of last year's game at Plainmoor when we somehow managed to win despite being absolutely battered for long periods. Before you scored, we had one cleared from on or close to the goal line, Bogle really should have scored his one on one with Spiess and Disley headed wide when I would expect him to hit the target. We seemed to get a lot of joy down our left hand side in particular and, apart from pick the ball out of the net, I can only recall McKeown having to make one or two saves.

After you scored, you started to get the ball down and played a bit and we were guilty of going too long too often. I was surprised we got the penalty, not because I didn't think it was a foul, but because I felt we'd got next to nothing out of the referee up to then. Still, Bogle did very well with it given the delay and the lengthy advice session he seemed to be getting from one of your players (not sure who). After that, I felt you were always a threat but the clearer openings were ours, particularly with a header cleared off the line and a brilliant block from Spiess from another shot.

Regarding Paul Hurst's interview, I can't recall ever hearing him talk about "should have been sent off" incidents in that way before. He's usually pretty level-headed and tends to play things down rather than build them up, so I can only presume that he and/or the players were not happy. I don't know what the shirt pulling remark or the Tait one related to, so I'm not going to comment on them directly. However, I will say that I can see why he felt Spiess should have been sent off for the penalty, as much as I felt it would have been harsh in real time.

And as for suggestions that our players may have put themselves about a bit, I'm not going to complain about it. Too often in our early years in this league, we were outmuscled and outfought by other teams. The teams which do best in this league are not necessarily the best footballing sides, but tend to be the most streetwise and battle-hardened. If we've learnt that, then that's fine by me.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

Norfolk Mariner wrote: I was surprised we got the penalty, not because I didn't think it was a foul, but because I felt we'd got next to nothing out of the referee up to then.

And as for suggestions that our players may have put themselves about a bit, I'm not going to complain about it. Too often in our early years in this league, we were outmuscled and outfought by other teams. The teams which do best in this league are not necessarily the best footballing sides, but tend to be the most streetwise and battle-hardened. If we've learnt that, then that's fine by me.
We all see football matches differently of course - that's why so-called pundits make a good living. But Bogle and his strike partner were backing into our central defenders all match and were not penalised. In fact, they were awarded free kicks when our defenders stood firm. Re the penalty - there were no loud howls for a penalty from your supporters right behind the goal. Funny that.

Don't disagree with your final paragraph. We need to be more street-wise and battle-hardened. Your fullback, Townsend, looks a useful player.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Things are looking a lot brighter now and credit must go to the manager for getting the side organised and well balanced I have not said that for a long time. Playing it tight has brought a discipline to the side.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Would just like to register how impressed ive been with the way Kevin Nicholson has first arrested the rapid decline of the side and then improved the team. Given how low things had got there can be no doubt that he has had a big impact. The reorganisation of the side wasn't rocket science but undoubtedly there is belief now and hope. It's very, very early days but as someone who thought a rookie manager was the very last thing we needed, I have to say that THIS rookie manager might just have what it takes - very surprised and very impressed so far! Feels like he's putting that bite, passion and application into the side that seemed to be lacking and has stopped them feeling sorry for themselves!

Added in 3 seconds:
Would just like to register how impressed ive been with the way Kevin Nicholson has first arrested the rapid decline of the side and then improved the team. Given how low things had got there can be no doubt that he has had a big impact. The reorganisation of the side wasn't rocket science but undoubtedly there is belief now and hope. It's very, very early days but as someone who thought a rookie manager was the very last thing we needed, I have to say that THIS rookie manager might just have what it takes - very surprised and very impressed so far! Feels like he's putting that bite, passion and application into the side that seemed to be lacking and has stopped them feeling sorry for themselves!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:Having not seen the game I cannot really comment but are Grimsby actually better than Bristol Rovers or Barnet? - the league table wouldn't say so.
On Saturday's showing, they are a very good side. Full of confidence, well organised, physical and they play at a high tempo. Whether they can keep playing like that remains to be seen. We did very, very well to match them. Do you remember a game against Swindon when Di Canio was their manager and Martin Ling was at Plainmoor ? I seem to remember it was on or about New Year's day. An all action game. Saturday's match was like that. Just hope that becomes more like the norm than the mostly dross that has been served up for the past three and a half seasons (since Ling's illness) that has driven many fans away.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I would say that Saturday's Grimsby side looked better than Bristol Rovers did last year. I actually think the division is more competitive this season, than last year.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was at that game vs Swindon Town, Mr. tomogull. Di Canio was very upset at the end as I was sure that he had expected an easy win for his team and, when that didn't happen, toys were ejected from prams.

Added in 2 minutes 32 seconds:
A postscript to my piece above. Yes, Mr. tomogull, it's a hard road supporting Whitby Town at the moment: no win in 15 games, crowds down to 200, next to bottom in the league, relegation an almost certainty and out of every cup (except the Trophy but that will happen soon). But - as at Plainmoor - you keep on keepin' on, hoping that something will change for the better. Oh, for an oligarch!

Added in 1 minute 11 seconds:
A postscript to my piece above. Yes, Mr. tomogull, it's a hard road supporting Whitby Town at the moment: no win in 15 games, crowds down to 200, next to bottom in the league, relegation an almost certainty and out of every cup (except the Trophy but that will happen soon). But - as at Plainmoor - you keep on keepin' on, hoping that something will change for the better. Oh, for an oligarch!