Woking v Torquay TUE 13TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

An excellent performance which will increase the team's confidence considerably. As supporters we must do our part and encourage the players ans staff as much as possible even when the going gets tough and the results don't go our way. Hopefully, as the injuries situation improves so will our survival prospects so we can rebuild for next season and challenge for promotion back to the Football League where we can consolidate and lay down proper financial foundations for a sustainable future !!
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Missed the whole of the first half due to the sh!tty M25 which probably wasnt a bad thing from reading some of the comments and chatting to a steward on the way in.

Second half though......WOW!!!! Just a bit deflated that we couldnt hold on and Bell right at the end, that should have sealed all 3 points.

Nicho is definitely getting the confidence back in the team and we actually look very decent going forward.

Totally different test on Saturday though. Anyone know if Gus is back??
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Yes both Dan and Gus are back in Saturday. I really cannot wait to see fairhurst come back from injury.. His creativity goals and assists will only help us going forward!
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Great point tonite lads and don't worry about Grimsby because I thought we played our best football in the 1st half against them we went 2 0 up and Richards and Carmichael were controlling midfield then we gave a poor goal away and Grimsby were back in the game glad Richards is back but pity it's too early for Carmichael as he won't be match fit but hey we have nothing to fear as the lads I feel have turned the corner COYY.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Thoroughly enjoyed the way we played in the second half. We got the ball down and played to our strengths. Some really positive performances tonight and a well deserved point away to one of the better sides in this league is a huge bonus for the spirit of the players. Impressed with Hurst and Berry tonight, they linked up very well at times and we looked the better side for the majority of the second half.

Stonewall penalty for them that wasn't given but about time the ref did us a favour.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper

Post by tufc si »

Southampton Gull wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed the way we played in the second half. We got the ball down and played to our strengths. Some really positive performances tonight and a well deserved point away to one of the better sides in this league is a huge bonus for the spirit of the players. Impressed with Hurst and Berry tonight, they linked up very well at times and we looked the better side for the majority of the second half.

Stonewall penalty for them that wasn't given but about time the ref did us a favour.
Not entirely sure how/why he didnt give them that pen, looked an absolute cert!!

And to be fair, I initially thought there keeper pulled off a fairly decent save for our penno but as none of there players protested, it must have been a fair call!!
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I think we were all in disbelief which soon turned to laughter as we all realised he wasn't going to give it. I thought the keeper definitely brought our player down and the spotkick was well taken ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper

Post by tufc si »

About time a large piece of lady luck came our way!!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Very enjoyable second half. Disappointed not to cling on for the win but would have taken a point at half-time and before the game. Played some lovely stuff after the break and had Woking on the ropes. Marsh made a huge difference - set up the first which was curled into the top corner from 25 yards by Richards. I didn't think he had that in his locker! We had chances to take the lead before Woking came back into it and had a stonewall penalty turned down when Berry mistimed a tackle inside the box. I still can't believe the ref didn't give it. He made himself even more unpopular with the home fans when Marsh skipped past the keeper and went down under his challenge before slotting in the resultant spot-kick. Thought we would hang on but Holman netted a late equaliser when he held off Smith, turned and fired past Spiess. Good finish but Smith - otherwise excellent - should have been tighter. Even more frustratingly, we had a golden chance to win it in injury-time but Bell fluffed his lines with only the keeper to beat. Bloody awful attempt. Draw probably a fair result.

Spiess still makes me nervous. He made two mistakes in the second half - dropping a corner and getting caught in no man's land with a cross - but he was rescued by covering yellow shirts on both occasions. Couldn't have saved the second goal and I was late to the game so missed the first by Daniel, who was Woking's best player. Nicholson did quite well considering he didn't get much help when defending against him. Smith was superb... until the late equaliser. I think it was him and not Hickford (they look alike from a distance). Hickford was very solid on his debut. Positioning was good and he looks quite confident. Would like to keep him longer but Angus - who was at the game along with Butler, Chaney, Odofin and Hells Bells - will be back in on Saturday. Berry played well again although was incredibly lucky not to concede that penalty.

Hurst started on the right and ended up on the left. He was limited to shots from outside the box but tested the keeper twice and was a menace. At first it looked like he was going to take the penalty before the ball ended up in Marsh's hands. Fenwick was out of position on the left and struggled although improved slightly after the break. Still not convinced. I've been very critical of Heslop to date but thought he was very good in the second half after taking the captain's armband. Easily his best showing in a Torquay shirt. Richards was garbage in the first half but scored our best goal of the season and that boosted his confidence. Fisher much more involved in the second half too and almost scored a header which was brilliantly clawed away by their keeper at 1-1. Did well with Marsh who was the difference maker. His pace and link-up play was really impressive. Set up one, scored one and put one on a plate for Bell at the end. Less said about Briscoe the better. He was in the huddle after the final whistle and had his calf iced up so maybe his withdrawal was because of injury but he was so ineffective it could easily have been a tactical substitution. Murombedzi did ok when he came on. Ran into a couple of dead ends but set up Marsh to win the penalty after we caught Woking on the counter.

That second-half performance gives me a lot of hope for the rest of the season. Was impressed with the team spirit and our heads never dropped - even after conceding the late equaliser. Marsh must start on Saturday.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

A good result all things considered. We're making progress, and two games unbeaten! Grimsby will be a challenge, but prospects are definitely good. These lads will continue to improve with experience under Kevin Nicholson, and we'll gradually move up the table. And we're due for a good cup run this season..
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

At last we have a manager that can organize a football team well done great result. :keepie:
Gashtufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by Gashtufc »

Really pleasing second half very impressed with the two young centre halfs smith and hickford, marsh coming on changed the game massively held the ball up well and fed the wide men. Definite penaltys both ends not sure how they didn't give Woking theirs
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

Great to see that result last night, if Nico can maintain that record then he's going to be a hero and get the team out of trouble. There will still be some bad results but not as bad as they had been & and anyway it's the conference and every team will get done over a few times during the season.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I do actually think if anything we are looking a bit stronger teamwise. Nicholson has addressed the blindingly obvious weakness and ditched Exodus G (who surely we will never see again)
The likes of Berry and I guess Heslop are benefitting by getting more games. Hurst and Butler are strong players. Richards is an ok player. I do think that Fisher and Marsh are our best combination up front.
I wouldn't be too worried about facing Grimsby - they are one of the better teams in this league but nothing special.
In general there are a whole host of teams we should be able to take points off in this league.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I completely agree with brucie.