Southport v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Regardless of your views on the choice of manager, it's been a clear improvement in this last week and that isn't going to be a coincidence given the rut we were in - so well done Kevin!!!!
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Great result - relieved!
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Brilliant, well done all, relief is an understatement. Lets kick on from here and drag ourselves up the table eh. :-D

Lets try and stop all the negativity now, lets stop banging on about lack of money now etc, we know there are financial issues, we get the message, money isnt the be all and end all at this level, lets be positive. :)

These arent bad players, they cant be or they wouldnt have got to this level, they just need some guidance, organising and confidence. Lets hope this is a boost and we can start from here. :scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Managed to beat a very poor side.....just!
Very welcomed however I'm not getting carried away.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Last Saturday very ordinary, Tuesday better, wasn't at the match but we clearly got the result. Gradual improvement.
TUST number 080
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

There will be some sad faces in London tonight after this result. Well done Kev and the lads!
Tust member 191
Malagagull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Malagagull »

At last something to smile about .Well done lads a win and a clean sheet. Looking forward to Woking which will be my first visit there......Funny how Yell, George et all are all missing from the site ...says it all if ever it was needed
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

That is a crucial win, never did I think that I would be so ecstatic over a hard fought 1-0 win over Southport, but the longer you go without winning, the harder it is to break that run so well done to the players, the continually magnificent away support and most of all to Nicho for his first win as a manager.

Obviously not getting carried away but it's a start, and it also makes Southport one of those teams we can keep below us if results continue to approve.

Most pleasing aspect for me is the clean sheet. We have been conceding goals, soft goals, at an alarming rate, today should hopefully give a few of the lads a much needed shot in the arm. It's a good base to build on. It's taken a while, so lets just bask in that winning feeling, if only for tonight!

Onwards and upwards.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

After last Tuesday the players deserved this victory and it looks as though Kevin has sorted out the formation and how to play it. He must be looking at our forum.
Well done everyone that includes Kevin the Chairman and Steve Breed! oh and all the supporters.Lets hope it continues.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

:goodpost:
yellowsmiffy wrote:Great, great result!!! Some real positives:

-Massive win in a crucial 6 pointer;
-A CLEAN SHEET an a goal for Fish;
- Superb work ethic;
- Balanced formation with strength on the flanks;
- Heslop improving?;
- No Exodus anymore; and
- Nico getting the huddle and team spirit together like the Buckle era!

Back to back decent performances is brilliant and I do agree that it suggests that Nico is to thank for that. I'm not going to judge Nico until he's had a number of games, but I seriously want him to do well. Fantastic bloke, and was a great player for us. If he can continue to build confidence and get us gradually climbing the table, he might just prove to be a good appointment. Long way to go until we can judge him though, and he'll be learning all the time.

COYY
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

B
yellowsmiffy wrote:Great, great result!!! Some real positives:

-Massive win in a crucial 6 pointer;
-A CLEAN SHEET an a goal for Fish;
- Superb work ethic;
- Balanced formation with strength on the flanks;
- Heslop improving?;
- No Exodus anymore; and
- Nico getting the huddle and team spirit together like the Buckle era!

Back to back decent performances is brilliant and I do agree that it suggests that Nico is to thank for that. I'm not going to judge Nico until he's had a number of games, but I seriously want him to do well. Fantastic bloke, and was a great player for us. If he can continue to build confidence and get us gradually climbing the table, he might just prove to be a good appointment. Long way to go until we can judge him though, and he'll be learning all the time.

COYY
:goodpost: well done to all at Torquay and boy this Saturday night feels so great
Lucy
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Yes, a good hard fought win at Southport, and on balance well deserved.
It was good to see the team come straight out the starting blocks well, and a good early goal helped calm the nerves, with United then playing a decent passing game for the first 20 minutes. - should have had 2 more in the net by then. That did not last, and Southport showed that they could also play - the period up to half time was very nervy.
Southport were clearly told to make it more physical in the second half and their intimidating tactics and constant backing-in by no9 were fallen for by the ref, who first booked Angus, then several others in a game which contained no bad tackles at all. But when a Southport free kick skidded through and luckily only hit the bottom of our post, the thought was that maybe it was our day. So it proved, despite a Torquay rearguard action in the second half, although no miracle saves were needed today (which indicates that Southport were indeed pretty poor!)

Nicho has certainly provided some motivation to the team, although to put in in perspective, we are only at the point of competing on equal terms with the worst the National league has to offer. Still, the defensive organisation has improved, Angus is top quality, and the early left sided linkage forward from Nicho was good. On the other side of midfield, though, Hurst offered very little, and Heslop still seems unfit/off the pace. The subs added little variation or impact, although Marsh hit the corner of the upright. Richards was excellent, and on his knees thanking the gods for 3 points at the end. Good to see, as was the players unity at the end.
So far, so good. Dont get carried away all, but this was 3 hard-earned really essential points couple with a glimmer of hope for the future.
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

A lot of excitement on here tonight with comments of superb and great win. Torquay have won 1-0 against a side with the worst home record and worst strike rate in the league (12 goals all season). Our satisfaction rate has reached new depths it seems. If United win by the same score against Woking then the adjectives on here might be a little more appropriate.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Sesimbra we both have Portuguese connections but a win is a win and after our dreadful run it is a huge relief. Well done the lads.

I truly believe Kevin may indeed be the man to inspire his young team to give their all and move us up the table.

Now for Woking!