Torquay v Dover TUE 6TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Gutrenching. Nothing more to be said.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Christ, it's not easy being a TUFC fan is it! Talk about a roller coaster of a game.

We played much better than on Saturday and if it wasn't for a number of howlers for their third we would have got a more than deserved point against an in form team.

I didn't think Dover was spectacular or anything special, they did what they had to do. We can argue all night about these part time teams, but they know how to grind out results in this league. Something we need to learn and quick.

Gutted doesn't even come close to how I'm feeling tonight.

TTID :scarf:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

My take on the game is much the same as everyone else's. But for an appalling pass from Heslop and joke keeping from Speiss we would be celebrating a great second half performance and a well-earned point.

Hurst is an outstanding player at this level and is consistently showing the rest of the team how to do it. His performance tonight was fantastic and energetic with two of the best taken goals you could wish to see. Unfortunately there isn't the same quality elsewhere in the team and Fisher, for all his effort, missed a couple of gilt-edged chances.

But the most worrying problem is our inability to defend and we are nailed on certainties for the drop if we can't bring in inexperienced central defender to accompany McDonald. That is not to say Smith had a bad game individually but between the two of them they just seem to switch off at key points and - bang - another goal is conceded.

I thought Richards made a difference to the midfield tonight but Briscoe just seems to be past it - getting slower and slower and none of his tricks are working any more.

The attendance is also worrying - we are heading for sub-1,000 gates if this run continues.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

we played well tonight. I thought Macdonald was a rock, and was up there for my MOTM. Smith was fairly anonymous but did his job. Berry played very well I thought, apart from the first 20 minutes where he was pulled inside out by their winger! Hurst was running a one man show tonight, we are absolutely **** if he gets injured. Briscoe did ok, Fisher ran his socks off, but to no real avail. Heslop delivered the best performance I've seen from him, shame he had to mess it up for himself otherwise he'd have had a higher rating! To be honest the game has given us a lot of positives and has shown that we* can fight, we* can attack, and we* can look dangerous!

*James Hurst
Last edited by gullno4 on 06 Oct 2015, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
The gulls are going up
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

we do need a wise old head at the back, next to
Macdonald. I'm sure we could claw something out of this season from there.
The gulls are going up
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

A big improvement and I am confident that Kevin is on the right track after he started with Hurst behind the front two which looked good until Dover began to exploit our fullbacks. Nicholson switched back to a 4-4-2 formation after they scored but what a difference from Saturday we played narrow and Hurst was then in his element getting space on the outside of him which he then exploited also Butler was bursting through the middle where we did not have players on Saturday. Good to have Richards back but a shame about the result but the last ten minutes we were to open and perhaps in hindsight should have settled for a point.
Their second goal I would expect the keeper to be nearer to the ball.
There is something to build on now which was not there on Saturday.
Lavercombe should be back in contention after tonight.

Added in 2 minutes 59 seconds:
brucie wrote:Please tell me that we have not lost to another goalkeeping mistake?
Bruce the second was a set piece (Corner) nowhere near it far post area.
The third I closed my eyes.
moneylife
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by moneylife »

Id definitely like to see Dan Lavecombe get a good run in the side.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

moneylife wrote:Id definitely like to see Dan Lavecombe get a good run in the side.
He should never of been dropped after the 7-3!
WESTWARDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WESTWARDGULL »

Maybe letting Downes (as an experienced centre back), go was a mistake. Sure he dropped a few clangers, but couldn't be any worse than defence is, and you could always bank on him getting a few goals aswell.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Hurst - what an attacking force he is. Great first goal, lovely controlled header for the second. Shame that he will simply not put in any effort when we lose the ball. Summed up by Berry hobbling, unable to run after a collision PLEADING with Hurst to help him to which Hurst did... Absolutely nothing! Hope I'm never on fire near him, as he probably wouldn't bother to piss on me!

First 20 minutes were reminiscent of Saturday - gave too much space and spent too much time ball watching. The goal really shook us up though and for the last 10 minutes of the first half and whole of the second half we were the better side. Heslop went from a latter-day Harding to a good midfielder - won loads of 2nd balls and used the ball well. Richards' attitude is spot on and he sparked the increase in effort in the first half - shame he can't pass! Butler was excellent, as was MacDonald. Fisher and Briscoe both worked incredibly hard and forced Dover into plenty of hasty clearances out of play.

If we play like that every game we will win matches. Those individual errors need to be ironed out. Spies is a good prospect but I think I would be looking for a more experienced keeper on loan, and probably another forward.

I am absolutely gutted about the result, but a few hours later I am trying to focus on the positives of which there were money. It was a small step in the right direction, and the tea, have to use this to get a result on Saturday.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Kit_robin wrote: If we play like that every game we will win matches. Those individual errors need to be ironed out. Spies is a good prospect but I think I would be looking for a more experienced keeper on loan, and probably another forward.
Agree with all your post, the quoted bit especially. As a general reply. We've missed some sitters last night and throughout the season, Spiess is suspect there's no doubting that, but, overall think he's been hard done by been solid enough so far, last night thought he had a pretty decent game, which was some what undone by that howler.

The headed chance missed by Fisher, was bad miss, someone near me said, had that chance fell to Tim Sills only one place the ball would have ended up, if some funds could be found for a striker who doesn't need so many chances to score and a more experienced keeper, think there's a good chance, based on that performance last night, our team would pull clear of the bottom four with some ease.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Much,much better.Thought it was a good team performance and that all played well,barring Fisher,who misses guilt edged chances every game.
People blaming Speiss for third goal,but thought it was a well struck shot by their striker.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

tommyg wrote: Nothing to do with luck, Si. Another individual error costs us a point. The players simply aren't good enough. Most of them are Conference South standard and that's exactly where we're heading. We have 10 points from 15 games. By my reckoning, 50 is usually enough to stay up which means we need to win 12 from 31 and pick up a few draws along the way. It's not going to happen unless we bring in fresh faces - and with crowds of 1,200 that's not going to be possible. The supporters don't deserve this but everyone has a breaking point and it's only a matter of time before our attendances dip below the 1,000 mark. One thing that will help is a decent FA Cup run but we'd struggle to beat Truro so I can't see us even qualifying.

...and three of our next five matches are Grimsby, Woking and Wrexham.

The run of the last 5/6 games was supposed to be were we put points on the board to get into a stable mid table place, given the quality of opposition we've played and instead we've picked up 1 point from all of them. We're in very very deep trouble, regardless of whether it was a better performance, the performance isn't what matters, the points are.

We're getting to the point where it's going to be very hard to recover, look at the number of games already played people, not nonsense like 'its just October and give Kev time'. Remember that the Conference rattles through it's games and finishes before the league.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

Nicholson release by TUFC for not being good enough, released by Kidderminster for not being good enough, drops down the leagues and now plays himself still not being good enough with no one giving direction from the side line.... wrong appointment, wrong results and as i have said previously as much as it hurts there is no escape.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We were dire for the first 40 minutes and a better side than Dover would have been out of sight.
Tried hard from the first equaliser to added time with Hurst being the only truly quality player we have, the majority are less than average.
MacDonald needs all his effort to concentrate on his own performance which was good, he is not a captain.
We need a major overhaul but how that can be achieved with the financial constraints and gates plummeting I don't know.