Torquay v Dover TUE 6TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

Was too gutted/drunk to post last night.

Nico seems to have galvanised us in terms of spirit and i was impressed how he went with diamond midfield with hurst floating. Hurst was superb .

We looked shaky defensively all game though and marking was abysmal. I dont think angus n smith look safe at all despite both decent out n out defenders. We are a small side at the back.

Fisher gave his all but looks devoid of confidence. Briscoe was poor.

Dont wanna mention the last minute as it was a calamity of errors and dovers players were a disgrace cheating and rubbing it in when they stole the game.

Draw would of been righr result but that performance has given me hope we can get out of trouble if we can add 2/3 players and keep hurst who is way too good for this level
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

gullno4 wrote: I thought Macdonald was a rock, and was up there for my MOTM. ........ Hurst was running a one man show tonight, we are absolutely f*** if he gets injured. ........... Heslop delivered the best performance I've seen from him, ........... To be honest the game has given us a lot of positives and has shown that we* can fight, we* can attack, and we* can look dangerous!

Agreed. Captain Fantastic won every header and encouraged the attack by playing forward.

Hurst was simply class. Great sense of positioning. Kept the ball too long, but had no-one to take it on.

If that was the best from Heslop, God help us. He's supposed to be an experienced head, a midfielder with a bit of guile. A midfielder with gel, is more like it (seemed more concerned to keep his hair in place than show us his skills). I thought he was really poor, other than a couple of interceptions or passes.

And yes, second half, we showed some passion and fight, except when the goalies were playing kick-tennis.

We are going to beat Southport. :scarf: :scarf:
TUST member 200 ;-)
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Eh? By a mile heslops best game. He was poor first 30 . minutes (like the rest of them) but second half he out battled his centre midfield opponent more often than not. Also put the excellent ball through for butlers chance and the brilliant cross for fishers header when breaking down the right.

If he plays like that from minute 1 he's good enough. Needs to get into the game quicker though.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Yep I'd agree with that.

Heslop looked a decent player in the second half. He needs to bring that to the table on a regular basis now.
DaveysBarTab
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: none right now

Post by DaveysBarTab »

And heslops superb cross on a plate for fisher who tamely headed to their keeper when should have scored. A mixed night for heslop. Def signs of a decent player though
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Reading the positive comments about Heslop ....I am not sure I am looking at the right player!!!

He is no.26 ?? The one who stands in the middle of the field and sends 95% of his passes sideways, back or to the opposition's feet?

He was appalling last night. Almost gave away a goal with a hideous back pass and was heavily involved in the 3rd Dover goal with another poor sideways pass through midfield.

He did make, maybe, 5>10 decent to good passes last night, but not enough to convince me.

Every time he got the ball last night, I was nervous about what was going to happen .....and I was not expecting good things at any time.

I would not be in the least disappointed if he never pulled on a Torquay shirt again .....my view is he is a liability.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

when everybody ran in for the team talk last night, why did murombedzi stay and mope around on the pitch on his own? was he sulking, because the last thing we need is bad attitude like that.
The gulls are going up
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

gullno4 wrote:when everybody ran in for the team talk last night, why did murombedzi stay and mope around on the pitch on his own? was he sulking, because the last thing we need is bad attitude like that.

I personally did not notice that, and agree we don't need payers who aren't willing to fight for the cause. However in his defence he worked extremely hard chasing down and winning back the ball by the Dover corner flag in the build up to our second goal, which does not indicate a player who is unwilling to put in the effort.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just because he stayed out on the pitch on his own, not that I noticed, should be taken he was either sulking or has a bad attitude, he may just have been upset by how the game ended, and may have wanted a few moments alone, if he was hacked off with how the game went, personally don't mind that either, shows he cares.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

forevertufc wrote:Just because he stayed out on the pitch on his own, not that I noticed, should be taken he was either sulking or has a bad attitude, he may just have been upset by how the game ended, and may have wanted a few moments alone, if he was hacked off with how the game went, personally don't mind that either, shows he cares.
It was before the game. All the other players disappeared into the dressing room after the warm up but Shepherd stayed out on the pitch until kick-off.

Doesn't mean anything of course, could be any number of reasons.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

I also saw that and thought it was a little odd, but could have been anything. Apparently marsh got injured in the warm up, so maybe Nicholson told him to keep himself warm while he decided what to do. Who knows.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Radio Devon reported that Marsh had been injured in the warm up.