Torquay United v Aldershot Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

It was pretty obvious that Kevin had no midfield players fit so pushed Butler into midfield and played himself and after a nervous start he settled in played alright and was fitter than when at Torquay last.
Observations, we are to expansive with our play Hurst and Morumbedzi were too wide leaving two inexperienced lads struggling in the middle with Aldershot playing through us at ease. This is leaving the back four vulnerable.
The wide midfielder that is on the oposite side of the play should tuck in and support the central players.
We've let in I'm pretty sure six free kicks in the last four games so the players are fouling in and around the box a lot.
Keepers have to look at starting position as several are going in their side, all bar one.
Hurst was very poor today until he was given a free roll or it worked out that way.
The best way forward I think with the players available would be three in midfield and have a central one as anchor. Hurst to play just behind the front two of Fisher and Marsh. This would give a flair player to be able to go either side and have freedom and it might suite Hurst as he likes to do his own thing. This would leave Briscoe on the bench but could be an impact player.
Today it was like watching a Knill side something needs to change.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

arcadia wrote:
Today it was like watching a Knill side something needs to change.
The last bloke to say that publicly got the job! Then went on to prove that he was worse .... ;-)
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just back from the game.

Another pathetic performance where we hardly mustered an attack worth talking about. Only 6 attempts all game, three each half, says it all. Of these only three were on target and didn't really extend their keeper although he did manage to fumble one round his post in the first half.

The defensive wall is nothing of the sort. Spiess continues to line up the wall leaving both sides of the goal showing and then taking up a central position so that he can't see the ball until its too late. Its the third similar goal conceded in the last two home games - question: what the hell is the goal keeping coach doing if our keeper is being allowed to make such fundamental errors?

Their second goal was even more worrying - we had a packed penalty area but Aldershot were allowed to waltz around with the ball without being challenged and passed the ball to a free player to pass the ball into the net. There were several other chances for Aldershot to add to their lead - fair play to Spiess he did make a couple of really good stops. And the manager had the cheek to say that the defence was largely untroubled throughout the game!

Nicho also says that he has inherited a talented squad. Well, yes, if the test is how many step-overs and keepy-uppers they can perform in warm-ups and training but if the test is whether they can play as a team against a half-decent opposition then this lot are the worst bunch of no-hopers I have ever had the misfortune to call "my team". Any side which can make Lathrope look like a quality midfield general and who hardly had to break sweat is heading for oblivion.

The only players to come out of this game with credit were Hurst (feeling increasingly sorry for him because he deserves a better team within which to show his talents), Berry and Marsh.

We are looking increasingly like relegation candidates - just can't see where the next win can come from. I'll be there on Tuesday night hoping to see a transformation but the more likely outcome is a drubbing and a lesson from another side who can play football rather than hoofball.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

stefano wrote: The last bloke to say that publicly got the job! Then went on to prove that he was worse .... ;-)
Kevins got a lot harder job!
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

0 - 20 mins .......not too bad. We showed some endeavour and held Aldershot in their own half for short periods.

20 mins 1 sec to end of game ....very, very poor.

Was stunned that Nicholson chose himself (despite my advice on the "If I was Kev" thread :O) Says to me that he rates himself better than any other possible left back player at the club ?

In his pre match comments on Radio Devon he said that ALL the players were looking good ...he was just better ?????

Butler in midfield .......why??? .....in pre match comment Nicholson said had seen him there in a game and thought he looked OK !!!!

He did stick by his "no excuses" mantra in the Post match comments "it was my fault" - OK, if he feels that is the case, but he would not be drawn on what he thought the issues were and didn't sound too upbeat (not unexpected) but, to me , did not sound too upbeat about Tuesday either.

We can blame Cox for the squad, but Nicholson has quoted Ling's comments that the "answers re in the building" - possibly not the players but perhaps the answer is with the board. They have stated that their investment has not been touched and neither has the players fund .........is Nicholson making a thinly (or fat) veiled comment that perhaps they should look to use it ??????
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Just feel really sad tonight.

It's only a matter of time before the incredible supporters begin to turn on the players, one of which is now the manager, and the atmosphere will become toxic.

Where on earth is the improvement going to come from? Who's going to inspire and elicit it?

The crowd is trying but it's like a one sided relationship at the moment.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

TUST_Member_Rob wrote:If Heslop qualifies as a professional football there is still hope for my Nan!

He was dreadful today!

:goodpost: and I don't even know your Nan, but even playing in slippers she is likely to be better !!!!!!
njgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by njgull »

Sounded like a pretty even game for 20 minutes. Then what was by all accounts yet another incredibly stupid free kick goal to concede. Rest of first half didn't sound good. Can't judge second half performance as the commentator spent more time talking about Sergio Aguero and Plymouth Argyle instead of the game he was actually meant to be commenting on.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

The second half was a lot worse than the first I'm afraid.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

arcadia wrote: Kevins got a lot harder job!
It's a lot harder if he plays as well as he can't see what we can see.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

After that shocking performance the only way this club is heading is south.....National South.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Can't believe Hurst is receiving positive comments. The man is an absolute disgrace to professional football. Won a few headers, made about three runs with the football, but did not give one flying f*ck about the team or his responsibilities. Constantly walking, yes WALKING, around when we didn't have the ball, a major contributor to their second goal in which he decided that walking around the half way line was better than trying to help Berry with a two on one. Basically a two fingers to the club and people have paid to watch.

To a certain extent I can forgive bad play from players who aren't good enough - it's not their fault. But I DO expect 100% effort as a minimum. Far too many of our players seemingly can't be arsed, and Hurst is the worst. Probably our most talented attacking player, but he's going to have to score 2 goals a game to justify his inclusion if he continues with that excuse for a 'performance'.

I am quite angry, if you hadn't noticed.
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

PlainmoorB0b wrote:Just feel really sad tonight.

It's only a matter of time before the incredible supporters begin to turn on the players, one of which is now the manager, and the atmosphere will become toxic.

Where on earth is the improvement going to come from? Who's going to inspire and elicit it?

The crowd is trying but it's like a one sided relationship at the moment.
You are quite right, it's exhausting trying to keep positive with this group, sadly nico obviously hasn't seen them as much as we have and is prepared to give them a chance but its fairly obvious his conclusion will be the same as the old faithful who can already see it, he will take up the offers eventually when he has seen what we already know.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by arcadia »

Kit_robin wrote:Can't believe Hurst is receiving positive comments. The man is an absolute disgrace to professional football. Won a few headers, made about three runs with the football, but did not give one flying f*ck about the team or his responsibilities. Constantly walking, yes WALKING, around when we didn't have the ball, a major contributor to their second goal in which he decided that walking around the half way line was better than trying to help Berry with a two on one. Basically a two fingers to the club and people have paid to watch.

To a certain extent I can forgive bad play from players who aren't good enough - it's not their fault. But I DO expect 100% effort as a minimum. Far too many of our players seemingly can't be arsed, and Hurst is the worst. Probably our most talented attacking player, but he's going to have to score 2 goals a game to justify his inclusion if he continues with that excuse for a 'performance'.

I am quite angry, if you hadn't noticed.
You could not have read my post and Nicholson had to talk to him to go with the other players to the crowd at the end. I can understand how he feels as he's been let down by Cox and does not want to be here at the moment. I thought only got in the game when we changed formation. :)
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

So it was not the start we all wanted for Nicholson and it was the same sorry story what we have come to expect this season. Yes, the commitment was decent, I thought the shape of the team looked balanced and there was some decent build up play at times. I thought we used the width of the pitch well and I liked Murombedzi on the left wing who offered a bit of flair. Nicholson himself slotted in well at left back and his experience often showed using the right option when on the ball. It's a shame his corners were typically over hit. But, and it' a huge but, we rarely looked like scoring and whereas Aldershot worked our keeper, we rarely tested their's. Crowd 1,946. around 250 from Aldershot and sponsors MoTM Hurst.

Nicholson had a warm reception and there were plenty of chants of his name from the Popside. The home crowd got well behind the team. The game was evenly matched and Torquay were looking decent in their ideas and approach play. But Speiss had to make 2 outstanding saves to keep the score level, one diving very low down,so the warning signs were there. Like previous matches, Torquay conceded from a free-kick that was beautifully curled past our 3 man wall in to Speiss's left corner. Surely Torquay needed more men in our wall? The goal lifted Aldershot and their second reminded me of a Bromley goal a couple of weeks ago. Neat passing on the edge of our area until they found room to slot the ball past Speiss without a challenge from a defender.

Torquay for the rest of the match never seriously threatened and Aldershot were held comfortably with a bit more know-how. Torquay had their fair share of corners and the occasional promising position but there was no end product.

It's a huge job for Nicholson or indeed any manager. I was amazed he was given the job when surely we needed an experienced manager, now of all times. I have been impressed how Nicholson has conducted himself thus far but I'm afraid I cannot see any light at the end of the tunnel. I was so shocked when I dared look at the league table this evening as we are in huge danger of being cut off adrift in the relegation zone. Even at this stage of the season we need a huge turnaround in results and I cannot see how it is going to happen? It was quite distressing to look over to out dugout and only see a passive Kenny Veysey there. Indeed we used all our subs with like for like swaps and did not ask any questions of Aldershot. If anything, our substitutions made matters worse. There just seems so much wrong I'm afraid and our season continues to plunge.