Torquay United v Aldershot Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Aldershot Town

Post by Dave »

It’s out with the old, as John Ramshaw took charge of The Gulls for the last time, in our away defeat at Lincoln City. Once again we welcome in a new era at Torquay United, in time for our next home game Saturday versus Aldershot Town.

Aldershot Town a phoenix club formed after the demise of Aldershot FC have become a bit of a rival in an on the field sense, since our very first meeting in 2007, The Shots have been both a promotion and relegation rival of ours, and there has been some real battles between our two clubs in the past.

Two previous match’s stick in the memory, the first, with both clubs neck and neck at the top of the conference, took place at Plainmoor in March 2008 in front of a crowd of 4,510, after Lee Phillips had equalised an early Shots goal, The Gulls would be left heartbroken by a late Scott Davies strike, virtually ending all hopes of winning the conference title for Torquay.

The second of the two match’s, again at Plainmoor, took place in October 2012 this time in League 2, The Gulls were left stunned by a Reid hat trick, as The Shots led 0.3, however within a minute Bodin gave The Gulls some hope, further strikes from Jarvis and Yeoman, pulled The Gulls level, with Aldershot now on the ropes and Torquay poring forward the unthinkable couldn’t happen, could it, the roof almost came off with an 89th minute Howe strike gave The Gulls an incredible win from being 3 goals down, a result that turned out to be important, as, had Aldershot maintained their lead, it would have been Torquay who would have been relegated with The Shots, alas The Gulls would only survive one more season.

Aldershot finished 18th last season, and will be hoping for a much more comfortable finish time around, although The Shots are not in great overall form, they, like us have fared better away from home, they’ll fancy their chances here.

Featured Aldershot Town player

Phil Smith; born 14th December 1979, position, goalkeeper, Phil Smith’s career started way back in 1998 with Millwall, however would only make 5 appearances for Millwall before moving into non-league football, most notably with Dover, Margate and Crawley Town. Crawley Town would enter into administration in 2006, with all Crawley players made available for transfer, Phil Smith joined Swindon Town.
Phil Smith made 112 appearances for Swindon, winning a PFA fans player of the month award, and Swindon Town player of the season in 2007, Smith would be released by Swindon in May 2012 after being displaced by Wes Foderingham, Phil Smith signed for Portsmouth making just 4 appearances before joining Aldershot in 2014, Smith has made 45 appearances for The Shots to date.

Aldershot top goal scorers and season stats

Charlie Walker 6
Richard Brodie 5
Cheye Alexander 2
James Stevenson 2
Rhys Browne 1
Charlie Harris 1
Sam Hatton 1

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE
% Points (HOME) 41% (AWAY) 59%
% Goals scored (HOME) 39% (AWAY) 61%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 45% (AWAY) 55%

Current from

Aldershot Town; W-L-W-W-L-L

5 Sep Aldershot To. 3-2 Halifax Town
12 Sep Grimsby 4-1 Aldershot To.
15 Sep Aldershot To. 1-0 Welling Utd
19 Sep Barrow 1-3 Aldershot To.
22 Sep Tranmere 3-1 Aldershot To.
26 Sep Aldershot To. 0-3 Macclesfield

Last time out

Aldershot To. 0-3 Macclesfield

01 Smith
12 Alexander
05 Saville
08 Stevenson
20 Wilmer-Anderton
14 Beckles
07 Hatton (Browne - 46' )
16 Gallagher Dismissed
19 Walker
10 Walker (Lathrope - 59' )
17 Brodie (Barnes-Homer - 46' )

Substitutes
04 Lathrope
09 Barnes-Homer
13 Thomas
15 Browne
21 Harris

Aldershot Town boss Barry Smith told BBC Surrey:

That was a poor performance today, one that I didn't see coming.

"We have got a young team but too many of them had off days, it wasn't just one or two of them - there were too many and we weren't close to the quality of performance that they've been showing.

"I don't want to take anything from Macclesfield because they did extremely well, but if I am going to look at my players, I think we could do a lot better."

From a Torquay United point of view

With the appointment of our new manager, we say goodbye to Paul Cox’ assistant John Ramshaw, I’m sure John Ramshaw goes with the best wishes of us all, and thanks for all his help during this transitional period.

We welcome our new manager, Kevin Nicholson, an appointment that was never going to be met with universal praise from our fan base.
Kevin Nicholson wins a new found respect from me, the manager’s job at Torquay United, is a real football management poison chalice , Nicho you’ve got guts, I’ll give you that, as said on another thread, Kevin’s first job is to bring stability, and try and restore self-belief and confidence into the squad.

I do not buy into this, Cox assembled a poor team, they’re not world beaters we know that, I’ve always believed there is at least a lower middle eight finish in this team, and remember this team, has won at Halifax, beaten Macclesfield and picked a very credible draw at Grimsby, they’ve shown in patch’s they are capable of beating anyone on the day, just need start believing it again.

Us supporters, we can help our club rise again, or we can help drive it into oblivion, what do we want?

Kevin Nicholson’s job is going to be hard enough as it is. He’s going to need some luck, but most of all, he’s going to need the support and backing of us fans, we’ve had our moan and our whinge, now time to unite, behind the management and our club.

Time to put fire in your bellies, Ladies and Gentlemen.

"Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright.
Singing' "Don't worry about a thing,
'Cause every little thing gonna be alright!" :)

Torquay United top goalscorers and season stats

James Hurst 5
Alex Fisher 4
Tyrone Marsh 2
Dan Butler 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Angus MacDonald 1

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE
% Points (HOME) 40% (AWAY) 60%
% Goals scored (HOME) 35% (AWAY) 65%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 48% (AWAY) 52%

Current from

Torquay United; D-D-D-L-L-L

5 Sep Torquay Utd 1-1 Guiseley
12 Sep Welling Utd 1-1 Torquay Utd
15 Sep Kidderminster 2-2 Torquay Utd
19 Sep Torquay Utd 3-7 Bromley
22 Sep Torquay Utd 1-2 Boreham Wood
26 Sep Lincoln City 2-0 Torquay Utd

Last time out

Lincoln City 2-0 Torquay Utd

01 Spiess
29 Berry
06 Geohaghon (Fisher - 46' )
05 MacDonald Booked
18 Smith
28 Hickford
02 Hurst
27 Bell (Yeoman - 88' )
10 Marsh (Murombedzi - 76' )
03 Butler Booked
07 Briscoe

Substitutes
11 Murombedzi
14 Yeoman
17 Fisher
19 Chaney
21 Lavercombe

RAMSHAW ON LINCOLN LOSS

CARETAKER-manager, John Ramshaw, has given his verdict on our 2-0 reverse at Lincoln City.

“I felt that our game-plan was working really well until they got their noses in front,” he said. “There was absolutely nothing in the first half-an-hour or so of the game, in fact, if anything we were shading it.
“But in the end, their experienced players came to the fore and were able to grab hold of the game.
“That know-how and experience is something that we are lacking out there on the field right now; we’re a very young side and once we fell a goal behind, we found it difficult.”
Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... g2pZ7Re.99

Head to Head meetings

With Aldershot Town only

English Conference Premier

15.08.2007 Aldershot Town 0-3 Torquay United
03.03.2008 Torquay United 1-2 Aldershot Town

English League Two

29.09.2009 Torquay United 1-1 Aldershot Town
13.04.2010 Aldershot Town 0-2 Torquay United
28.09.2010 Torquay United 0-1 Aldershot Town
08.03.2011 Aldershot Town 1-0 Torquay United
16.08.2011 Aldershot Town 0-1 Torquay United
06.03.2012 Torquay United 1-0 Aldershot Town
02.10.2012 Torquay United 4-3 Aldershot Town
19.02.2013 Aldershot Town 1-0 Torquay United

English Conference

25.08.2014 Torquay United 1-1 Aldershot Town
06.04.2015 Aldershot Town 2-0 Torquay United (Last meeting)
Formerly known as forevertufc
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

A reinvigorated squad will be too much for Aldershot on this occasion. 3-0 Gulls (MacDonald, Marsh, Murombedzi) 2200 in attendance.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

the Shots are pretty solid but a lot depends on which Richard Brodie turns up. He can be a handful or a liability - easily wound up by defenders, especially if it's a team he's been at previously. Luckily Torquay haven't had the pleasure
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

Another loss. A close 2-1 loss as the lads play a little better from the new manager bounce but the deficiencies in the squad still show.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

brucie will be along in a minute to say we're doomed; Torquay 0, Aldershot 10. You can go home now Brucie, I've pre-empted you.
Honestly, I'd be happy with a point !!!!!
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We never beat Aldershot - so what are the chances of it happening now?

Torquay 0

Aldershot 6

Attendance 1301
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Has Josh Carmichael gone home? - I seemed to have missed something.
TUST member 200 ;-)
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Come on then guys.....it's time re-unite again more than ever.

I will tomorrow be emailing work contacts, texting mates etc just see if we can get a few more through the turnstiles. If everyone does that then it's extra coppers in the bank I.e new players.

Hopefully a few of Nicholson fans who haven't been to LWS for a while may filter back as well.

Let's get behind Nico and the boys once again!!!

COYY!!!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Nice post, but, think we need more than a few extra coppers in the bank, some extra bare P (I'm down with the youth :) ) in the coffers might help though. COYY :scarf:
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

torq2u wrote:Has Josh Carmichael gone home? - I seemed to have missed something.
Josh Carmichael has a back strain which is why he missed the Lincoln match. Haven't heard if he is expected to be fit for Saturday. Thanks for putting up the match thread early, Forever. Takes our minds off the other hypothetical threads ! As well as Brodie being wound up by defenders, he also winds up defenders. I remember him getting into a spat with Angus when he played at Plainmoor last season for Southport. I would imagine Angus will be marking him. Keep your calm, Angus !! It's difficult to predict any result for the Gulls at present. A win would be very welcome but even a draw would be acceptable.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

nicholson's spoke well, the team seem fired up, and ex is out. everything's pointing in the right direction, so I can see only a 0-2 loss. Brodie will get on the scoresheet.
The gulls are going up
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Torquay 0-2 Aldershot. Angus sent off. Attendance 1,501.
jimhart33
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by jimhart33 »

Not many big names in Aldershot's last line up.
Prediction 1 0 Lathrope OG.
Also i think we should give Exodus credit for playing through pain and injury for the team in the last few games.
Perhaps Lincoln was one too many.
Hope he is back fit soon.
My last match was Macca so I hope i bring good luck.
COYY
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

3-1 to the good guys. Briscoe hat trick, Hurst with two assists and Berry with the other.

Attendance 3,569

Nico worshipped

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

jimhart33 wrote:Not many big names in Aldershot's last line up.
Prediction 1 0 Lathrope OG.
Also i think we should give Exodus credit for playing through pain and injury for the team in the last few games.
Perhaps Lincoln was one too many.
Hope he is back fit soon.
My last match was Macca so I hope i bring good luck.
COYY
Why?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/