Torquay United v Aldershot Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Kit_robin wrote:Can't believe Hurst is receiving positive comments. The man is an absolute disgrace to professional football. Won a few headers, made about three runs with the football, but did not give one flying f*ck about the team or his responsibilities. Constantly walking, yes WALKING, around when we didn't have the ball, a major contributor to their second goal in which he decided that walking around the half way line was better than trying to help Berry with a two on one. Basically a two fingers to the club and people have paid to watch.

To a certain extent I can forgive bad play from players who aren't good enough - it's not their fault. But I DO expect 100% effort as a minimum. Far too many of our players seemingly can't be arsed, and Hurst is the worst. Probably our most talented attacking player, but he's going to have to score 2 goals a game to justify his inclusion if he continues with that excuse for a 'performance'.

I am quite angry, if you hadn't noticed.
You can hardly blame him. He was brought in by Cox who did a runner just a couple of months into the season. He's been one of our best players, if not THE best so far this season and is now probably considering getting out of Torbay as quickly as possible.

He won't make an effort if he's not inspired by his manager........
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Perhaps Bill Nicholson could give our Kevin a little advice (through an appropriate medium of course)... :)
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Burnhamgull wrote: You can hardly blame him. He was brought in by Cox who did a runner just a couple of months into the season. He's been one of our best players, if not THE best so far this season and is now probably considering getting out of Torbay as quickly as possible.

He won't make an effort if he's not inspired by his manager........
I do understand what you are saying. Did you travel from Burnham today only my grandson played there today against Burnham. ;-)
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

arcadia wrote: I do understand what you are saying. Did you travel from Burnham today only my grandson played there today against Burnham. ;-)
No, I'm based in Paignton now but can't change the username without losing all previous posts.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Well, at least we drew the second half and we didn't concede seven. We actually started quite brightly and played some of the best football we've seen this season. But then came the free kick and we reverted to type - ragged play, poor control, always second to the ball and no anticipation. The second half was a scrappy non-event. Good match report from Swanny again.

I thought the defence looked reasonably secure apart from dreadful defending for their second goal. There was no creativity in midfield - Alex Russell playing blindfolded would have created more than our midfielders did. Hopefully Carmichael and Richards will soon be fit again. Up front, Marsh worked hard but he was on his own. There's still lots of points to be played for but Kevin Nicholson must now be fully aware of the huge task he's taken on. A win might restore a bit of confidence but it's hard to see where that win is coming from. We just have to hope that we catch Dover on an off day ........

Oh, by the way - as one who rated Damon Lathrope, he had a very good game. His usual game - doing the simple things well.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I agree with Tomo's points as a summary of my thoughts on the match. Nicholson wasn't going to work a miracle by his very presence. Marsh needs a lot of work to build timing, anticipation and movement into his game, but he has attributes when he has the ball. Backfour looked ok. Note on Hurst, I thought he was streets ahead in terms of athleticism and ability, but he seemed to become disgruntled in the latter stages.
TUST number 080
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

It will imrove when we hit rock bottom. And we aint there yet. Im resigned to conf south now. BUT that doesnt mean im giving up on the club. But u know folks football is a funny game and anything can happen. Im hoping of course that we dont relegated but it helps my mental well being to expect the worst but hope for the best.
TUST MEMBER
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

Some thoughts. Apologies if anyone else has covered this, I haven't read the thread.

1. Butler should not have been central in a million years.

2. Defensively I thought the main issue was lack of protection from the midfield, rather than the performance of the defenders themselves.

3. Our shape after the substitutions was poor. I suspect Nico, being on the pitch, could not see this as well as us in the stands. But there was a point where we had Butler and Hurst playing very central with Bell and Heslop virtually out wide. Made no sense at all. Perhaps Kenny V could have provided a bit of direction from the bench.

4. We're lacking creativity in the middle and going forward. I genuinely think that as Hurst is by far our best player we should build our team around him like a Bale. Stick him behind the front two or even up front or something. He'll run at people and make things happen. Just an idea.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Plenty of lessons to be learned but we started well so we know we can do it.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
PL21gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee MansellBaseball

Post by PL21gull »

Spot on Arcadia and Modgull. We are consistently headless chickens; the players are not no-hopers but we have no system of play, just a dysfunctional set of individuals, and hence cannot make realistic goal-scoring opportunities but have to rely on hoofball and occasional shots from distance.

Goalkeeping coach - why is it so difficult to line up a wall and stop teams scoring from 30 yards? why does our keeper hide behind the ineffective wall of three?

Midfield - why do we not pass the ball to one another and build play? why is there no central focus player wanting the ball and being available?

Opposition forwards can come off their marker and receive the ball to feet then play triangles etc with the midfield and wide support - why do we not try to play on the deck?

Set pieces - generally very careless, constantly over-hitting, no variety, no apparent awareness that there are two goalposts not just the far one.

It is not rocket science, so let us learn from all our defeats and get more organised and actually try to play as a team. And be professional and not a Sunday league outfit.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

PL21gull wrote:Goalkeeping coach - why is it so difficult to line up a wall and stop teams scoring from 30 yards? why does our keeper hide behind the ineffective wall of three?
Wonder whether it's modern goalkeeper coaching. Did we 'all' not notice when our team had a free-kick in the second half in exactly the same position they scored from there's, the Aldershot keeper lined up a wall of, yes, three.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Missing - Torquay United's midfield.

Nico - you cannot wait 3 games to see if the answer is 'in house' because quite simply it ain't. You know this by the fact you played a left back in there who looked lost. Shockingly though he was not as bad as Heslop who supposedly has been applying he trade as a midfielder in league football for years!

Massively disappointed yesterday as it seemed as if we just accepted the loss as soon as we went 1 down. We showed nothing - and seemed to care little. I expect people to chase, harry and get stuck in but we showed none of this. This cannot be explained through lack of confidence as simply they did not put in the effort that at the very least we should be seeing from them. Aldershot will not have an easier game all season as we just went through the motions in front of a crowd who were massively polite for what they had to witness.

As for the ovation they got as they left the pitch - what the f*ck? I am not for booing them off but I for one will never applaud that type of care free rubbish. I expect the Tuesday gate to be half of yesterday's as if the players don't give a sh1t then the fans will vote with their feet.

Nico has a hell of a job on his hands and in his radio interview afterwards he again referred to them 'enjoying playing football'. Perhaps he needs to get them to care about playing football first!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Richinns wrote:Missing - Torquay United's midfield.

Nico - you cannot wait 3 games to see if the answer is 'in house' because quite simply it ain't. You know this by the fact you played a left back in there who looked lost. Shockingly though he was not as bad as Heslop who supposedly has been applying he trade as a midfielder in league football for years!

Agree with this. In fact, I agree with your entire post, but this part stood out. I asked a question to Nicho at the fans forum, "how are you going to motivate the players?" The answer I got began with "I don't care about Lincoln." Well, I'm afraid to say, Nicho really should have cared about Lincoln, because there were so many players out of position yesterday.

I really want Nicho to do well and I know it's only been one game, but I just can't see it happening. I hate being pessimistic and I've tried so hard in staying positive, but it's getting harder and harder every match.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

And it will get even harder when Dover put another half a dozen past us.
RichyMills
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: the 12th man

Post by RichyMills »

Neal wrote:It will imrove when we hit rock bottom. And we aint there yet. Im resigned to conf south now. BUT that doesnt mean im giving up on the club. But u know folks football is a funny game and anything can happen. Im hoping of course that we dont relegated but it helps my mental well being to expect the worst but hope for the best.

as a Grimsby fan (Torquay's my local team) that's a tactic I used for years - just expect the worst then anything better is a pleasant surprise
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I was hoping for some kind of response and unfortunately it was same old Torquay. When I heard Nicho was starting I was immediately worried. Surely he would have got a better idea of his team from the sidelines, especially with no assistant manager.

The first 30 minutes wasn't too bad, had a few chances and their keeper looked very dodgy early on. Briscoe's free kick almost spilled from his grasp into the goal, but once Aldershot scored it all went south. It was a pretty well hit free kick and the defending for their second has dreadful. Reminded me of Bromley, like a hot knife through butter.

Second half was a complete non event. Don't even think we tested their keeper at all.

Decent turnout from Aldershot and only positive from today was we were over the 1800 break even point.

Listening to Nicho's post match interview left me feeling very annoyed. I'd rather he had come out and said we were poor and needed to do a lot better. Aldershot should have scored a few more than they did. Once again we lumbered with one up front and posed no threat.

I probably will still be there on Tuesday although I'm expecting a much lower turnout. I can't see where our next win will come from. Nicho has a lot of work to do.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!