Torquay United v Aldershot Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

With so many players on board it might have been a better option to have signed four or five experienced players and then a dozen or so youngsters rather than a squad of all youngsters.We miss some Old Heads in the team.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Disappointed with yesterday's attitude more than anything, can't expect miracles overnight I appreciate but still disappointed because,

1. I took two more newbies (and paid for em!) hoping hey would see a better attitude and didn't, they won't be back.
2. Nicholson said he wanted to see "what they could do" and played himself.
3. His corners were poor when he was here before, he trotted over to take the first corner and guess what,
4. He took the second corner, (see above) in fairness however he didn't take another and the rest were also poor.
5. We didn't penetrate in the second half at all.

OK all a bit cynical but my "two newbies" impression was that the players we'rnt enjoying it and not playing as a team. I am more that prepaired to give him (and Mr Milton) time but my worry here is Nicholson is going to play himself come what may, an attitude demonstrated by his willingness/instructions to take corners. Suprised to be honest that Exodus has been vilified as much as he has, deservedly so one one or two occasions maybe but surely he's been no worse that of some others IMO. Exodus would be in my team ahead of Nicholson every time. Just hope it works out for him.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

PL21gull wrote:Spot on Arcadia and Modgull. We are consistently headless chickens; the players are not no-hopers but we have no system of play, just a dysfunctional set of individuals, and hence cannot make realistic goal-scoring opportunities but have to rely on hoofball and occasional shots from distance.

Goalkeeping coach - why is it so difficult to line up a wall and stop teams scoring from 30 yards? why does our keeper hide behind the ineffective wall of three?

Midfield - why do we not pass the ball to one another and build play? why is there no central focus player wanting the ball and being available?

Opposition forwards can come off their marker and receive the ball to feet then play triangles etc with the midfield and wide support - why do we not try to play on the deck?

Set pieces - generally very careless, constantly over-hitting, no variety, no apparent awareness that there are two goalposts not just the far one.

It is not rocket science, so let us learn from all our defeats and get more organised and actually try to play as a team. And be professional and not a Sunday league outfit.
The only midfielder we've got that can score or pass is Chaney where is he does anyone know! In all the friendlies he was sharp and created then he was discarded. :}
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Who was the guy doing the warm-up and on the bench with Veysey? He was wearing a baseball cap.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Chaney was watching the game, stood next to the dug=out with Luke Young.
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

'Selling' Bowman was ridiculous - players of his type are essential in this league. We replace him with an 18 year old and expect him to hold the ball up all the time. He doesn't do it enough so we send him back and replace him with - well with no one ( apart from the returning Yeoman from the Truro bench.) We have a predominantly young side prone to hitting long balls particularly when they go behind. That is clearly where our second half 'performance' came from. Both Marsh and Fisher ( both of whom at least try- I have my doubt about some others) need feeding by a larger bustling forward.

Our defence currently lacks confidence- reading too much Exodus. They have not been protected by anyone from midfield since Richards was injured and even he was not a natural defensive midfielder.

I don't blame Nicho the current spell was spun by Cox. However if Nico is true to his word and waits for another 3 games we will be bottom and managing teams from that position is beyond most inexperienced managers as we well know.