Lincoln City v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its blindingly obvious that EG cannot play in a back four so what does Ramshaw do? plays him in a back four. God know what line up we were playing today - I am past caring but Ramshaw is a clown and the sooner he buggers off the better.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Greatful to Ramshaw for sticking around and trying his best, but the bare facts are he is a worse record as caretaker manager than Shaun Taylor did.

I sincerely hope that we get the new boss sorted very early next week, and that signals the end for Ramshaw. Whoever the new guy is, I'd rather have a new broom sweeping through the place. I want a new manager to pick a team based on merit, not past "glories" - so basically I want a new boss to drop Ex as he's just not up to scratch.

Shaun North is the best shout in my eyes. The guy knows the league, knows the club and is an excellent coach by all accounts. He's as good as we can hope for
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I'm not convinced by North. He might be a good coach but there have been plenty of excellent coaches who have failed as a manager. He's in his mid-50s and you have to ask why he has never held a managerial position before. Of course, he could get the job and be a revelation but my gut feeling is that he's not right for the top job. I wouldn't be surprised though if it was him.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I was at the match, struggling to summon the energy to write a report. For every talented Torquay player there is one who shouldn't be a professional footballer.

Had a brief exchange of words with Dave Phillips, will post about that later.

Well done to the 100+ who came today.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

njgull wrote:Sounded like a quite even, though boring, game ruined by two errors from a player who shouldn't have been on the pitch in the first place.

That was about the size of it.
We played well for 30 odd mins until captain calamity c*cked it up..... :@
And we played well 2nd half and at least created chances.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Jeff wrote:Greatful to Ramshaw for sticking around and trying his best, but the bare facts are he is a worse record as caretaker manager than Shaun Taylor did.

I sincerely hope that we get the new boss sorted very early next week, and that signals the end for Ramshaw. Whoever the new guy is, I'd rather have a new broom sweeping through the place. I want a new manager to pick a team based on merit, not past "glories" - so basically I want a new boss to drop Ex as he's just not up to scratch.

Shaun North is the best shout in my eyes. The guy knows the league, knows the club and is an excellent coach by all accounts. He's as good as we can hope for
Not manager as he would have been one by now if he was cut out to be one. Assistant yes. Ramshaws & Taylor are the same.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Not long back. Thought we looked OK untill they scored and then it fell apart. Second half was a non event really we created a few half chances but never looked like getting back into it.

Plenty of time for Ramshaw who came over and shook hands with the traveling fans and thanking us for the support in his time here. Said it was most likely his last game in charge.
Gaviota_Gull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Gaviota_Gull »

'We'll be alright, we'll have a new manager on Monday" - the words of David Phillips at the end of the Lincoln match as he came over to see the 129 faithful. Obviously he wouldn't be drawn on a name or even give us a clue but his body language wasn't at all positive which belied his words. So at the final whistle what really got me wound up was only 3 players bothered to come over and acknowledge the Gulls fans. Briscoe, Yeoman and McDonald. Where were the others? The very least they could have done was to actually approach the away end instead of a non-committal wave from the centre spot. I spoke to David Phillips about this and he just shrugged his head and had no answer. Having read the posts, I was pleased to hear that JR made the effort to thank the fans. Surely the Captain should be leading by example by making sure the team acknowledge their support?
In a cracking gesture, the former stadium manager and kit man at Lincoln came over to us at half-time, gave us a programme and wished us well remarking on what great support the club still has in these times of crisis. If the opposition recognises this, why doesn't the squad?
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Guess the squad are as pissed off as everyone by losing every game. You may have a point but personally I wouldn't care if the players waved, flicked the v's at the supporters or told them all to feck off as long as they won the odd game or two.

I'm with Hector - if Nicholson is appointed manager then I will never go near Plainmoor again
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

We looked okay for the first 35 minutes, actually played some decent football on the floor. We looked good coming forward with Briscoe, Hurst and co, but Lincoln's defence was so organised, they were nearly impossible to get past. As for our defence, oh dear. Exodus at fault for their two goals and as soon as the first went in, it was game over.

Didn't create any real chances in the second half, just a couple of shots from Louis. Lincoln should have got another in the second half, surprised it was only 2-0.

A huge thank you to Ramshaw for sticking around after Paul jumped ship, a true gent coming over to us, thanking us and shaking hands. I personally got to know John quite well and will be missed.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
NorfolkGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicky Wroe

Post by NorfolkGull »

I disagree, we were much improved after the break. 442 was far more balanced and Ex going off was the best move. The cheer when we heard he had subbed Ex was the biggest all afternoon. First half was far worse.

And the players coming over, you didn't mention Berry. He came over and applauded and he was really good yesterday as well. We've been ridiculously unlucky with centre mid injuries this season and I wasn't sure where Carmichael was?
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I thought we looked good for 1st 30 mins until Ex let us down however 2nd half I thought we looked like a team more balanced and trying to play football hopefully the new manager can keep the squad going and we will turn it round and to NorfolkGull young Carmichael was out and did not travel due to a back injury but I personally hope he is back v Aldershot as I think he has done well I hope he stays as his loan runs out after Aldershot.
NorfolkGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicky Wroe

Post by NorfolkGull »

Okay thanks Alley. He hasn't been great this season but him and Bell are the only definite cms we have. Carmichael is the best of a bad bunch.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Heslop is also available again now after serving his suspension and it's a sign of desperation that I'm almost looking forward to his return! Also hoping Richards will be fit again soon - he's been by far our most effective central midfielder this season.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

As others have mentioned Exodus was a liability on the pitch yesterday, I never understand why we publicise that our players are carrying knocks then proceed to put them in the starting 11. He was at fault for our first goal, no doubt and his inability to jump combined with Spiess not having a clue what to do cost us the second goal.

On our defence, we looked much better when Exodus was removed from play - why didn't he sit on the bench? Toys out of the pram? Berry is a positive signing, the link with Hurst was beginning to show but with time that could develop nicely. Berry is a composed defender, good on and off the ball and will surely take up thrown in duties when Ex is demoted to the bench. Of the three centrebacks I feel most for Angus, he was gutted at the end of the match but in the second half he showed good form, a positive is that no-one will be interested in taking him off our hands just yet. He and Smith could become a decent pairing and I'm sure the incoming manager will notice this. Butler yesterday seemed to be everywhere he seemed the most determined at 1-0 and later at 2-0 seemed to play almost across the back 4. One thing with Butler is that he and Briscoe didn't seem to show as much potential as Berry/Hurst, in fact I didn't think much of Louis yesterday.

Midfield was lacking yesterday, Hurst put in a shift and was there/thereabouts. He will get goals and assists for the new manager. Bell and Hickford I found to be largely anonymous, we need a leader in midfield, someone with a bit of tactical nous and experience.. I wonder whether Heslop might be the man for that when he returns from suspension? Briscoe was ineffective on the left and in reality presented limited threat on goal, I was hoping pop up with a goal in the second half but there wasn't much chance of that.

Up front. I quite like Marsh, I think if he were to find himself on the ball a bit more we might see double figures from him.

The subs didn't really do a lot, Fisher didn't do a lot but neither did the others, I do like him as a player and think there's a lot more to come from him. Shep was rubbish, a light weight Ajala, but he did manage to knock the ball on a couple of times and as for Yeoman I think he'll do very well to get another 6 months from the new manager, realistically though Ash it's probably time to find a new trade mate.

A word ok Ramshaw and the three to come over and applaud the fans - I appreciate you find yourselves in an unenviable position and thank you for your efforts. To those who sauntered off down the tunnel - remember that you may not be being paid megabucks but without those fans who buy the merchant, who follow you at Plainmoor and away, who have stuck with the club through good times and bad, without those fans there wouldn't be a club and there wouldn't be any wages.

Dave Phillips told me a new manager is coming in tomorrow, let's hope he's a motivator, let's hope he can nurture some of the talented youth in our squad and let's hope he restores some pride in the team.

COYY