Lincoln City v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Lincoln City v Torquay United

Post by Dave »

In a bid to get our focus back on the football and away from off field problems, here goes. Tuesday we entertained Boreham Wood, another home match another defeat, think it may be a blessed relief to the management and players alike to get away from our home ground, this coming Saturday, it's a trip up north, to Sincil Bank home of Lincoln City FC.

Lincoln failed to live up to expectations last season finishing 15th, two places below Torquay United. Under fire Imps manager Chris Moyses kept his position as manager, Lincoln City will be hoping for a better season this time around. The Imps are currently sat 12th in league table, although unbeaten at home to date they have just two wins and four draws from their opening home fixtures, Lincoln City have a free scoring front partnership in Matt Rhead and Liam Hearn a test for any leaking defence, The Imps also have former Gulls loanee Craig Stanley in their squad, although we've seen our team perform well on the road, this is going to be another tough test.

For Gulls fans attending the match

Sincil Bank Stadium, Lincoln, LN5 8LD http://www.redimps.co.uk/news/article/d ... 15030.aspx

Featured Lincoln City player

Alan Power born 25th January 1988, Dublin, position midfielder. Alan Power began his career with Nottingham Forest, whilst he would make no senior appearances for Forest Alan Power would have short loan spell with Grays Athletic, 2008 saw Power join then League 1 club Hartlepool United, making his debut against Stockport County, however Alan Power would only make 6 appearances for the north east club, June 2010 saw Alan Power move to Rushden and Diamonds, he scored 3 goals from 41 games before joining Lincoln in 2011, Alan Power to date has made 170 appearances for Lincoln scoring 27 goals, he is currently the Lincoln City captain.

Lincoln City's top goalscorers and season stats

Matthew Rhead 8
Liam Hearn 4
Jonathan Jack Muldoon 2
Alan Power 2
Alex Simmons 2
Craig Stanley 1

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE

% Points (HOME) 59% (AWAY) 41%
% Goals scored (HOME) 63% (AWAY) 37%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 50% (AWAY) 50%

Current form

Lincoln City; L-D-W-L-W-D

31 Aug Gateshead 2-0 Lincoln City
5 Sep Lincoln City 1-1 Wrexham
12 Sep Lincoln City 3-1 Boreham Wood
15 Sep Barrow 1-0 Lincoln City
19 Sep Kidderminster 0-2 Lincoln City
22 Sep Lincoln City 1-1 Altrincham

Last time out

Lincoln City 1-1 Altrincham

01 Farman
02 Wood
05 Waterfall
12 Hawkridge (Hearn - 79' )
18 Beevers
04 Stanley Booked
21 Sparrow (Simmons - 15' )
06 Bush
09 Rhead
08 Power
07 Muldoon

Substitutes
10 Hearn
13 Grant
16 Simmons
17 Hodge
23 Brown

Lincoln City manager Chris Moyses told BBC Radio Lincolnshire:

Lincoln City manager Chris Moyses told BBC Radio Lincolnshire:

"I've seen Matt Sparrow's ankle and it's not looking good. We were on top and we'd scored a goal but him completely changed the way the game went.

"We had to make the change and then conceded from a set-piece so I would say it certainly affected us because we'd built up a decent head of steam.

"I think we played some nice football in the second half when we pegged them back. I'm just disappointed that we didn't get three points, but in years gone by we might not have got anything out of that game and we got a point."

From a Torquay point of view

Tuesday night will live long in my memory, maybe not the performance, certainly not the result, but for the fans reunited day, organised by Plymouth Argyle fans and supported by fans of other clubs, for me it showed the power of the football fan, it should what football can be about, and how to support a club. To look around the popside and see a Wycombe shirt, to see Brighton scarfs, and a lot of Plymouth shirts was simply magic, I understand there were Exeter and Yeovil fans in the Bristow's Bench as well.

I'm proud as fan of the atmosphere on the night, make no mistake about it, that atmosphere was generated by Torquay United fans, and it was amazing to see fans of other clubs wearing their shirts jumping up and down joining in with Torquay United chants, even saw fans I've stood around for years who, I've never seen join in with a chant, singing the "three little birds" chant, I'm not an emotional person as a rule, had a lump in my throat through out the game, for those who could go and could afford to go, but stayed away, this was what supporting your team is all about.

The football itself wasn't as bad as some painted on the night, yes, the quality was lacking, largely down to a lack of confidence, there was the normal amount of over hit long balls, but there also was an attempt to play more football, with one or two very slick passing moves, thought the change in formation helped, the team did look more compact, and after all Boreham Wood scored from two free-kicks, their only two shots on target.

Exodus has been playing with an injury for some weeks now, suggested he's been at 70% fitness, he should have been rested before and looks like he will miss this match, Richards is not fit to return, we've got a pretty decent away record, so there's some hope our team can get some thing here, a draw will do right now, but, personally not expecting to much.

Torquay United top goalscorers and season stats

James Hurst 5
Alex Fisher 4
Tyrone Marsh 2
Dan Butler 1
Josh Carmichael 1
Exodus Geohaghon 1
Angus MacDonald 1
Joe Quigley 1

HOME / AWAY ADVANTAGE
% Points (HOME) 40% (AWAY) 60%
% Goals scored (HOME) 35% (AWAY) 65%
% Goals conceded (HOME) 52% (AWAY) 48%

Current form

Torquay United; L-D-D-D-L-L

31 Aug Eastleigh 3-2 Torquay Utd
5 Sep Torquay Utd 1-1 Guiseley
12 Sep Welling Utd 1-1 Torquay Utd
15 Sep Kidderminster 2-2 Torquay Utd
19 Sep Torquay Utd 3-7 Bromley
22 Sep Torquay Utd 1-2 Boreham Wood

Last time out

Torquay Utd 1-2 Boreham Wood

01 Spiess
29 Berry
05 MacDonald
12 Carmichael (Briscoe - 58' )
03 Butler
06 Geohaghon
02 Hurst Booked
27 Bell
18 Smith
10 Marsh (Yeoman - 77' )
17 Fisher

Substitutes
07 Briscoe
11 Murombedzi
14 Yeoman
21 Lavercombe
28 Hickford

RAMSHAW REFLECTS

We were desperately unlucky,” he said. “First and foremost, I thought that we defended very well, a massive improvement on Saturday.

“In the end we were beaten by two free-kicks; they were absolute worldies to be fair, but other than that, they didn’t trouble us too much.

“I felt that we played some decent stuff at times and created chances, which unfortunately we couldn’t take advantage of.”

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 2xLy8eP.99

Head to Head meetings

English Division Three (old)

23.09.1961 Lincoln City 1-3 Torquay United
10.02.1962 Torquay United 3-4 Lincoln City

English Division Four (old)

25.08.1962 Torquay United 0-0 Lincoln City
21.12.1962 Lincoln City 3-0 Torquay United
05.10.1963 Lincoln City 3-2 Torquay United
15.02.1964 Torquay United 2-2 Lincoln City
26.09.1964 Torquay United 0-2 Lincoln City
06.02.1965 Lincoln City 0-1 Torquay United
06.11.1965 Torquay United 4-1 Lincoln City
02.04.1966 Lincoln City 1-1 Torquay United
27.09.1972 Lincoln City 3-1 Torquay United
04.11.1972 Torquay United 2-0 Lincoln City
01.09.1973 Torquay United 2-1 Lincoln City
01.01.1974 Lincoln City 3-0 Torquay United
08.11.1974 Lincoln City 3-1 Torquay United
01.02.1975 Torquay United 1-3 Lincoln City
23.08.1975 Lincoln City 4-2 Torquay United
24.04.1976 Torquay United 2-2 Lincoln City
26.01.1980 Lincoln City 2-0 Torquay United
03.05.1980 Torquay United 2-5 Lincoln City (my first ever Torquay united game)
20.08.1980 Torquay United 1-2 Lincoln City
12.11.1980 Lincoln City 5-0 Torquay United
21.10.1986 Torquay United 0-1 Lincoln City
17.03.1987 Lincoln City 1-1 Torquay United
08.10.1988 Torquay United 1-0 Lincoln City
18.02.1989 Lincoln City 1-0 Torquay United
09.09.1989 Torquay United 0-3 Lincoln City
04.04.1990 Lincoln City 2-2 Torquay United
05.03.1991 Torquay United 0-1 Lincoln City
30.03.1991 Lincoln City 3-2 Torquay United

English Division Three

09.03.1993 Lincoln City 2-2 Torquay United
20.04.1993 Torquay United 1-2 Lincoln City
06.11.1993 Lincoln City 1-0 Torquay United
23.04.1994 Torquay United 3-2 Lincoln City
27.08.1994 Lincoln City 1-2 Torquay United
17.12.1994 Torquay United 2-1 Lincoln City
18.11.1995 Torquay United 0-2 Lincoln City
04.05.1996 Lincoln City 5-0 Torquay United
17.08.1996 Torquay United 2-1 Lincoln City
29.03.1997 Lincoln City 1-2 Torquay United
11.10.1997 Lincoln City 1-1 Torquay United
28.02.1998 Torquay United 3-2 Lincoln City
04.09.1999 Torquay United 5-2 Lincoln City
12.02.2000 Lincoln City 2-1 Torquay United
09.09.2000 Torquay United 1-1 Lincoln City
10.02.2001 Lincoln City 1-2 Torquay United
15.12.2001 Lincoln City 0-0 Torquay United
09.03.2002 Torquay United 2-0 Lincoln City
28.09.2002 Torquay United 0-0 Lincoln City
03.05.2003 Lincoln City 1-1 Torquay United
16.08.2003 Torquay United 1-0 Lincoln City
17.01.2004 Lincoln City 1-3 Torquay United

English League Two

24.09.2005 Torquay United 2-1 Lincoln City
11.02.2006 Lincoln City 2-0 Torquay United
12.08.2006 Torquay United 1-2 Lincoln City
10.02.2007 Lincoln City 1-0 Torquay United
24.10.2009 Lincoln City 0-0 Torquay United
20.03.2010 Torquay United 2-3 Lincoln City
14.08.2010 Lincoln City 0-2 Torquay United
02.04.2011 Torquay United 2-0 Lincoln City

English Conference

30.08.2014 Lincoln City 1-3 Torquay United
14.04.2015 Torquay United 1-0 Lincoln City (last meeting)

English FA Cup

02.01.1971 r3 Torquay United 4-3 Lincoln City

English League Cup

11.10.1967 r3 Lincoln City 4-2 Torquay United
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

A slight chance, perhaps, but I wouldn't bet on it. So:

Lincoln City (1) 2
Torquay United (1) 1

Att: 2,266.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

These young players are now "performing" for a coach/caretaker who doesn't want the job full-time.So what incentive is there for these players? Pride yes but that doesn't equal wins.
I agree though that the side plays better away so anything's possible, hopefully.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Nice words from ramshaw. still, 4-0 loss.
The gulls are going up
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

With no new manager on the horizon and the current men in charge continuing with big Ex on Tuesday I just cannot see us winning. Away from home the shackles are off and against Lincoln we were always going to be second favourites, whatever our form. I reckon we may score a couple or three so I'm going to say 4-3 to Lincoln :(
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Another great summary, Forever - especially about Tuesday night. I also had a lump in my throat. It was Lincoln who were the fall guys when Paul Dobson scored that late, late equaliser against Crewe after Bryn the police dog did a 'Labadie' on Jim McNichol. Lincoln became the first ever league side to be automatically relegated to the Conference, or whatever it was called back then.

Lincoln are a club you expect to be in the Football League but they've been languishing in this league for far too long. Maybe their fortunes are beginning to change for the better. I don't know what their usual gate is but I think of them as being a similar club to Torquay. They seem to have stayed afloat financially so perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea for Dave Roberts or Steve Breed or another member of the Board (share the tasks) to have a chat with the Lincoln chairman about how they set their budget. Anyway, football wise - the Imps home record isn't that great so if we get a bit of luck along the way, perhaps we can pick up a point. After our so called 'easy' games in September, we now have Lincoln, Aldershot (h), Dover (h) Southport (a) and Grimsby (h). It doesn't get any better, does it ?
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Agree Tomo. Obviously I know how much time, work and effort goes into researching and constructing a matchday thread and whilst mine were extremely odd it is fair to say that in contrast, Dave's are excellently informative and factually interesting. I enjoy reading them very much Dave. Actually I miss talking shite. I don't anymore. Not because I don't do the threads now but because I've become so anti social that I rarely speak to anyone these days so don't get the chance. ;-)

Anyway, great work Dave. Hope the lads are doing ok with their footy.

If you go to the game, park on the common. It's a 5 minute walk, plenty of parking. Spent 3 years at Uni here and still sick of the air raid siren at corners. Please let me know if they still do this when you go on Saturday.

I'll be not far away, down at Meadow Lane with my fellow Yorkies but i'll wish you all the best at Sincil Bank, a ground that I've seen Torquay play and not lose on 3 occasions.

COYY!!! (Yellows AND York :nod: :-D :scarf: ).
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Yorkieandy wrote:Agree Tomo. Obviously I know how much time, work and effort goes into researching and constructing a matchday thread and whilst mine were extremely odd it is fair to say that in contrast, Dave's are excellently informative and factually interesting. I enjoy reading them very much Dave. Actually I miss talking shite. I don't anymore. Not because I don't do the threads now but because I've become so anti social that I rarely speak to anyone these days so don't get the chance. ;-)

Anyway, great work Dave. Hope the lads are doing ok with their footy.

If you go to the game, park on the common. It's a 5 minute walk, plenty of parking. Spent 3 years at Uni here and still sick of the air raid siren at corners. Please let me know if they still do this when you go on Saturday.

I'll be not far away, down at Meadow Lane with my fellow Yorkies but i'll wish you all the best at Sincil Bank, a ground that I've seen Torquay play and not lose on 3 occasions.

COYY!!! (Yellows AND York :nod: :-D :scarf: ).
Different styles, Andy, but both very enjoyable reads in their own right. We don't get any info on the quality of the pies and pasties in Forever's reviews, nor where the best pubs are. ;-)
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Don't listen to Yorkieandy, the South Park Common won't be open. They only open it for local rivals now - Grimsby/Scunthorpe. They no longer play the air raid siren, but listen out for the Dambusters theme and look south east you should just about see the new memorial to Bomber command on top of the hill.

For those of you driving it's only £5 to park at the stadium and the money goes back to the club (something I wish Torquay could do!) there's ample room and in ten minutes everyone has filtered out. If you wanted to look at the city then you could park closer to the town then try the Tentercroft Street car park - road works going on but central ish. LN5 7DB for your Sat Navs.

I live just down the A15 and lots of friends/colleagues are 'Imps' but none of them go anymore. Financially, for the past couple of years the Imps have been in the sh*t, the co-op requested they pay off their overdraft and all sorts of stuff kicked off regarding property developers and the like there was some talk of a new out of town stadium with astro-turf five a side pitches and a gym etc but somehow they've managed to stay at Sincil Bank. Can't recommend any pubs or anything in the area - though I'd definitely skip The Golden Cross.

This is my closest match and last year we took 3 points in glorious sunshine, hopefully the weather will be just as good and we'll come away with all the points again. As a regular at away days I know no-ones names but I do nod hello to everyone. In Sleaford there's 4 Torquay fans, I'd expect them all to come tomorrow plus I'm bringing a Spanish mate. Well done whoever comes tomorrow, it'll be a long old drive and a result is probably unlikely.

2-1 to the yellows. Hurst and Fisher, Ex will be rested and we'll look far more comfortable with a back 4.

COYY.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

RussianGull wrote:Don't listen to Yorkieandy, the South Park Common won't be open. They only open it for local rivals now - Grimsby/scunthorpe. They no longer play the air raid siren, but listen out for the Dambusters theme and look south east you should just about see the new memorial to Bomber command on top of the hill.

For those of you driving it's only £5 to park at the stadium and the money goes back to the club (something I wish Torquay could do!) there's ample room and in ten minutes everyone has filtered out. If you wanted to look at the city then you could park closer to the town then try the Tentercroft Street car park - road works going on but central ish. LN5 7DB for your Sat Navs.

I live just down the A15 and lots of friends/colleagues are 'Imps' but none of them go anymore. Financially, for the past couple of years the Imps have been in the sh*t, the co-op requested they pay off their overdraft and all sorts of stuff kicked off regarding property developers and the like there was some talk of a new out of town stadium with astro-turf five a side pitches and a gym etc but somehow they've managed to stay at Sincil Bank. Can't recommend any pubs or anything in the area - though I'd definitely skip The Golden Cross.

This is my closest match and last year we took 3 points in glorious sunshine, hopefully the weather will be just as good and we'll come away with all the points again. As a regular at away days I know no-ones names but I do nod hello to everyone. In Sleaford there's 4 Torquay fans, I'd expect them all to come tomorrow plus I'm bringing a Spanish mate. Well done whoever comes tomorrow, it'll be a long old drive and a result is probably unlikely.

2-1 to the yellows. Hurst and Fisher, Ex will be rested and we'll look far more comfortable with a back 4.

COYY.

Exactly Russiangull, what does that plank Andy know? :no: :rofl:
Will be there with Bixieupnorth (unfortunately) :-/ and Keir.....
Hopefully our lucky charm who has an excellent 2 from 2 win ratio from watching the Gulls can "inspire" them again....
Will be in the wetherspoons Ritz for lunch so hope to see you RG :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Yes, thankyou to Russiangull for pointing out my errors. Obviously he lives a bit closer to Lincoln now than me so i'd completely trust his info is up to date. Thanks also for the air raid siren update. Shame they don't still do it really. Yes it was annoying but it was synonymous with LCFC and perhaps they could have kept it?
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Josh Carmichael not available for the Lincoln game as he has a back injury. (tweet by Gareth Law)
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I don't see us getting a win under Roger Ramshaw who has all the charisma of a plank of wood.
We seem to get more injuries every game and this game looks way harder than the whole host of part timers who have embarrassed us lately.

The only logical result is another defeat

Lincoln 9

Torquay 0
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Taxilady said josh Carmichael is unavailable shame I thought he has been doing well for us overall much better than his Bmth team mate Quigley but the big problem for me is we will soon be struggling to field a team with the injuries we are getting and letting players go due to the budget we need to get as many injured players back ASAP then we might start to turn the corner.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

If Carmichael is injured then don't we only have 1 fit central midfielder who is Bell? (Heslop suspended, Richards, Young injured, Fenwick now out on loan)
I guess Chaney is kicking around somewhere? and Briscoe has been playing in there (Albeit it in a number 10 role in a 3 man midfield).
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/