Kidderminster v Torquay United-TUE 15th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

I'm sorry forever but I disagree that Kidderminster fans will be less happy about this result than us. We gifted them two goals, one right at the death. We threw those points away. I'll never give up on the club, but this result just isn't good enough, we should have won. The last few games against Welling and Guiseley were a prime opportunity to pick up points but we failed. If we fail to pick up a win in either of the next two games against Bromley and Boreham Wood, the alarm bells will certainly be ringing.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Orange Gull wrote:I'm sorry forever but I disagree that Kidderminster fans will be less happy about this result than us. We gifted them two goals, one right at the death. We threw those points away. I'll never give up on the club, but this result just isn't good enough, we should have won. The last few games against Welling and Guiseley were a prime opportunity to pick up points but we failed. If we fail to pick up a win in either of the next two games against Bromley and Boreham Wood, the alarm bells will certainly be ringing.

Fair enough, well soon see however, if I get time before going to work Ill read the Kidderminster forum and we'll see what their view on this result is, I'll be surprised if their happier with this result, than us.
Formerly known as forevertufc
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Cox's interview pretty much sums it up, lack of discipline and concentration cost us again, but considering in the last 2 games we have effectively played 90 mins with 10 men, he cannot fault the work ethic.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

In all honesty, it is two points lost rather than one gained but I am more than happy with the shift the lads put in tonight. We'll be just fine this season I'm sure, we just need these youngsters to start seeing games out and the old heads to start leading a bit better!!

First half was all ours and apart from a dodgy last few minutes, we stood firm and went in deseverdly leading. We looked comfortable and Kiddy looked no threat whatsoever with there constant long balls!!

Second half and the same pattern begins. Kiddy break from a corner I think it was, heslop cynically brings there lad down, deserved a booking but in no way a straight red!! He wasnt the last man, it wasn't malicious, just very very silly - boom, early bath!!

Pattern of the game then understandably changes but we still look fairly solid. Long hopeful ball gets put up high into the box, Speiss ends up clattering through Hurst (I think??) and there lad nods it in, 1-1. Looked like neither called for it but we were at the other end of the pitch and couldnt really see.

Kiddy's long ball tactics then carry on, we defend well and try to hit them on the break. This is where Hurst bags his second, neat little finish, hero of the moment....
Same patterns ensues again, long hopeful balls by them, we stand firm, etc, etc.

Cue the 92nd minute, Hurst turns villain! Again, couldnt really see what happened but looked very stupid indeed. Penno, 2-2, game over!!

Kiddy were there for the taking, they dont look very good at all and will probably not be in this division next season. Dissapointed that we arent travelling home with three points, but I am very impressed with the way the boys dug in and never gave up!!

And before people want to go Speiss bashing again, apart from there first goal, he was excellent!! Pulled off a couple of cracking saves, held on to the ball well but I do wish he would be a bit more vocal and command his box a bit better, that's my only negative points!!

Just want to finish up by mentioning the fans, yet again!!!! Absolutely tremendous from start to finish and I really do think the players appreciate it! I know they havent got much to sing about at the mo but the Kiddy fans were truly awful. If I were blind and there was no Gulls fans there, I could have sworn I was either at the library or in a morgue!

Cracking food choices as well, do enjoy coming here, beautiful little pork and stuffing bap at half-time :-D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

How can Kidderminster be less happy than us with the result? - that's just nonsense. They were 2-1 down in injury time against ten men. We are now into our run of games against the lesser sides and have scraped three points out of nine. As Steve Breed says ten points from ten games would give us 40 points after 40 games - that's relegation form.
By the sound of it we could have scored six and conceded six last night. Our defence is hopeless.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

brucie wrote:How can Kidderminster be less happy than us with the result? - that's just nonsense. They were 2-1 down in injury time against ten men. We are now into our run of games against the lesser sides and have scraped three points out of nine. As Steve Breed says ten points from ten games would give us 40 points after 40 games - that's relegation form.
By the sound of it we could have scored six and conceded six last night. Our defence is hopeless.
Maybe because they were 2-1 down against ten men and only managed a draw because we gave away a silly penalty in the dying minutes.
Beleive it or not Brucie, Torquay United do not have a divine right to win every game. Given they were at home and we are crap Kidderminster fans had every right to expect a win last night, even if they had to play against a full team of 11 men for 90 minutes. As it was they had a lot of time with an extra man and couln't make it count, they should be a lot more unhappy than us. Given the way we took the lead after going down to ten men and managed in the end to draw, away from home, with ten men and only then because we gave away a silly penalty at the very end. In the cold light of day we should be relatively happy with last nights result.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

In the end it doesn't matter what Kidderminster fans think abut their performance. What I think is important and utterly deflating is that we were winning 2-1 in the 91st minute. There's no excuse for not holding on to that, Kidderminster were doing nothing, we gave that goal to them. If you had offered me a 2-2 draw before the game started, I perhaps would have taken it, but not when we are winning with two minutes left.

Brucie is correct about what Steve Breed mentioned during the game, that on current form we will be looking over our shoulders come the end of the season. We have to improve, dramatically. We won't get a better opportunity to do that than the next two games.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Excusing throwing away two points as "not having a divine right to win every game" is just tosh as well. We were winning in injury time - it doesn't make any difference how many men we had. In our position where we cannot buy a win chucking points away is going to hurt us.
We cannot compete with the better teams in this league so we have got to start winning against the lesser lights. If we don't we will be relegated. Three points against Guiseley. Welling and Kidderminster isn't good enough. Two part time pub sides and a team who are actually worse than everybody else in the league.
Its no good justifying that because we are down to ten men in every bloody game we should be grateful for a draw. Perhaps if we stopped making kamikaze challenges in every match we would keep eleven men on the pitch which might give us a better chance of winning.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We threw away two points thanks to two silly irresponsible fouls, one of which resulted in us going down to ten men and the other giving away a penalty in the dying seconds of the game. The players themselves will be unhappy about that.

Our players are young, but they need to mature fast, get fitter, focus on teamwork; the defence needs to improve and our forwards/strikers need to improve their sharpness and accuracy; the manager knows what needs to be done. Not a great start to the season, but in the circumstances, surely we did not expect anything better?

But keep the faith; we will improve over the coming weeks and months (starting on Saturday). And we're only ten points off a play-off spot with 36 games still to go.. :)
IanGull01
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tim Sills

Post by IanGull01 »

Gullscorer wrote:We threw away two points thanks to two silly irresponsible fouls, one of which resulted in us going down to ten men and the other giving away a penalty in the dying seconds of the game. The players themselves will be unhappy about that.

Our players are young, but they need to mature fast, get fitter, focus on teamwork; the defence needs to improve and our forwards/strikers need to improve their sharpness and accuracy; the manager knows what needs to be done. Not a great start to the season, but in the circumstances, surely we did not expect anything better?

But keep the faith; we will improve over the coming weeks and months (starting on Saturday). And we're only ten points off a play-off spot with 36 games still to go.. :)
:goodpost:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The issue is that results won't improve at all whilst we continually ship goals at the rate we do. That's now 22 goals conceded in the last six away games. That's an average of 3.66 goals per game. So the likelihood is that we are going to have to score at least 3 or 4 goals to win a game away from home. The stats hold up when you look at our only victory away (Halifax) when we scored 3 and conceded 2.
Anyone can say that results will improve starting with the next game but with a defence as bad as ours there isn't the slightest indication that we are going to start winning games in the near future.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I did not mean to say that results will improve starting on Saturday, but rather that the players' performances, sharpness, skills, and teamwork, will all begin to improve, little by little.

And we'll make it to the sixth round of the FA Cup.. :)
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Gullscorer wrote:We threw away two points thanks to two silly irresponsible fouls, one of which resulted in us going down to ten men and the other giving away a penalty in the dying seconds of the game. The players themselves will be unhappy about that.

But the player who was sent off for a shocking tackle is a seasoned "experienced professional". With Hislop's dismissal a victory went out the window.
NorfolkGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicky Wroe

Post by NorfolkGull »

brucie wrote:The issue is that results won't improve at all whilst we continually ship goals at the rate we do. That's now 22 goals conceded in the last six away games. That's an average of 3.66 goals per game. So the likelihood is that we are going to have to score at least 3 or 4 goals to win a game away from home. The stats hold up when you look at our only victory away (Halifax) when we scored 3 and conceded 2.
Anyone can say that results will improve starting with the next game but with a defence as bad as ours there isn't the slightest indication that we are going to start winning games in the near future.

22 goals?! Are you sure brucie? We have only conceded 18 all season including home games...