Welling United v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Welling United v Torquay United

Post by Dave »

Last Saturday saw the young Gulls pick up a deserved point against Guiseley, many will see this as a disappointing result, however after two straight defeats at home a welcome point. Our squad are now faced with two consecutive away matches, the first of which, this coming Saturday see’s the squad travel to Park View road home of Welling United FC.

The Wings were promoted back to the non-league top flight at the end of season 2012-13, however it looked like their stay in the NL premier division would be short lived, going into the last month Welling were favourites to be relegated, however a late run of good results, including a 2.2 draw versus their relegation rivals Alfreton in the penultimate game, which helped Welling to survive on goal difference. It’s too early to say whether the Wings will once again struggle against relegation, and they certainly gave a good account of themselves from their televised match against Tranmere Rovers.

For Gulls fans attending the match

Park view rd, Welling, Kent, DA16 1SY http://www.wellingunited.com/wp/directions/

Featured Welling United player

Sam Corne; born 11th July 1996, position, central midfield, Sam Corne at 19 years old hasn’t had much of career to date, a relative unknown even at this level, Sam was brought through to the first team at Welling by previous manager Jamie Day and current Welling vice-captain, had come to the club via Cambridge United’s satellite centre, Sam Corne came to national attention Saturday with a wonder strike, equalizing goal in front of the BT sport camera’s Saturday.

Sam Corne interview on that goal

Corne said: "It's not something that happens every day!

"It was a great experience and something to remember. I'm not a goalscorer normally but it's certainly something to live on now.
"My mum and dad will be winding me up for all the attention I've had from it now!"
Corne was particularly pleased to score as he felt he wasn't enjoying the best of games.
"It wasn't my best game but the goal has meant it has overlooked my performance," said Corne.
"I've hit one of the sweetest shots I'll ever hit. I was just hoping that it would hit the target and not going into row Z.
"The fans loved it so to get booked for celebrating with them was a bit harsh but it was worth it."
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/sp ... olt-42776/

Welling United top goalscorers

Kabba,2
Obafemi,1
Vidal,1
Corne,1

Current form

Welling United; L-D-L-L-L-D

15 Aug Macclesfield 2-1 Welling Utd
18 Aug Welling Utd 2-2 Eastleigh
22 Aug Wrexham 1-0 Welling Utd
29 Aug Welling Utd 1-2 Braintree
31 Aug Woking 2-0 Welling Utd
5 Sep Welling Utd 1-1 Tranmere

Last time out

Welling Utd 1-1 Tranmere

21 King
03 Jefford
05 Osborne
08 Lee
19 Lokko (Obafemi - 81' )
06 Chambers
07 Porter
20 Corne Booked
22 Harris
32 Vidal
09 Kabba (Adeyinka - 82' )

Substitutes
01 McEntegart
04 Fagan
11 Wellard
14 Adeyinka
17 Obafemi

From a Torquay United point of view

Saturday against Guiseley, we saw the inconsistency in team performances continue, and I’m not talking about from game to game, more from half to half , we’ve seen the odd 20-30-45 minutes of good football an dominance from Torquay whether that be in the first or second half, but as yet a complete performance, however, I believe the signs are there of what this team could be capable of with a few tweaks to the squad, I fully believe we’re not that far away from turning a good 30 minutes into a good 60 minutes, and when that happens the results will come, us fans though, really have to see through our current form, the club needs us stick by it like never before.

The forthcoming two away fixtures may come as a bit of relief for the squad and manager, although Paul Cox and many of the players haven’t been involved over the last 3 seasons to date, however, Paul Cox his staff and players will be acutely aware that our home form over this period hasn’t been good enough, and the pressure to correct this, and get our team performing at home consistently again is growing, over the last 3 seasons to date we’ve played 73 matches at home with a record of; won 24 , drawn 22, lost 27, goals for 84, goals against 102, our team over this period has performed equal to, and better away from home, us fans can help, by turning up in numbers and getting behind the team, it will mean a lot to the players if they know the fans are on their side.

Feel I must give a mention to Fabian Speiss, Speiss has come in for a lot criticism of late, in part deserved, some of the criticism a little unfair, thought he showed he has one thing in his locker important for any keeper to have, that’s character, he did well Saturday to come back from a few indifferent performances, especially for a keeper who’s young and inexperienced, something easy to forget.
Another player I think us fans have been too quick to judge is Simon Heslop, a player that’s come to Torquay short of game and perhaps that’s showed, he looks as if he’s beginning to come into his own, and signing a 1 year contract with hopefully will help him settle.

Simon Heslop on signing contract with Torquay

“It’s nice to get settled down and hopefully I can kick-on from here,” he said. “I feel that I have done okay so far. I’m getting stronger all of the time and edging ever nearer to 100% match fitness.
“I’m just looking forward to the next game. We had a couple of disappointing results over the Bank Holiday weekend, and whilst the next set of games look easier on paper, we know only too well that they are going to be just as tough as those we have faced so far.

“We’re going to have to be at it right from the off against Guiseley. They will be tough opponents, but with our fans right behind us, it will really help us achieve the result that we all desire.
“There’s no team that is going to blow us away at this level. It’s all about consistency and those teams who can produce the goods week in, week out will be up there.
“I’ve played at this level before when I was loaned out from Barnsley, so I know what it’s all about and hopefully I can use my experience in League’s One and Two over the past five or six years to help the team.
“We’ve got a lot of young lads and whilst their ability is not in any doubt, they do need a few older heads to guide them at times.
“They need to be able to find a consistency in their performances. We’ve seen games where we’ve done really well in the first half but not been able to continue it after the break, such as our trip to Grimsby, but it will come.
“The fans can also really help us; they’ve really impressed me so far, to be honest. Even when we were three goals down at Eastleigh on Monday,

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... oYMekug.99

Torquay United top goalscorers

Fisher, 3
Hurst, 2
Carmicheal, 1
Exodus, 1
MacDonald, 1
Quigley, 1

Current form

Torquay United W-L-D-L-L-D

15 Aug Halifax Town 2-3 Torquay Utd
18 Aug Torquay Utd 0-1 Woking
22 Aug Grimsby 2-2 Torquay Utd
29 Aug Torquay Utd 0-3 Cheltenham
31 Aug Eastleigh 3-2 Torquay Utd
5 Sep Torquay Utd 1-1 Guiseley

Last time out

Torquay Utd 1-1 Guiseley

01 Spiess
12 Carmichael
03 Butler
18 Smith
02 Hurst
24 Lavelle-Moore Booked (Quigley - 78' )
07 Briscoe
26 Heslop
06 Geohaghon
17 Fisher
05 MacDonald

Substitutes
04 Fenwick
10 Marsh
11 Murombedzi
22 Quigley
23 Richards

Paul Cox: Torquay United deserve current low league place

"I think we're the position where we deserve to be and where the club deserves to be," he told BBC Sport.

Torquay have won only two of their opening eight fixtures and have not won any of their last five games.
"Going forward, do a lot of things need to happen for us to have a successful season? Yes they do," added Cox.
"Did I think we'd be in the play-offs at this stage of the season? No I didn't. Did I think we'd be around mid-table? No I didn't, if I'm honest.
"But are we a team that's going to affect this league at the minute? No we're not, that's my honest assessment."

Last meeting

28.12.2014 Welling United 0-0 Torquay United

Head to Head

Torquay 1 wins and there’s been 1 draw from the clubs two previous meetings.
Formerly known as forevertufc
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Ah, Welling United - formerly Bexley United where I cut my football supporting teeth. Sorting old programmes and selling sweets in the club shop, making rosettes, litter picking on the terraces. Happy days. And then I started school.

I think they used to be a nursery team for West Ham, maybe Charlton - I sure they had the occasional "star" player on loan, getting match fit after injury. Anyway, their kit was pale blue with 2 claret stripes across the chest, likes West Ham's away kit. Come to think of it, it probably WAS West Ham's old away kit.

Anyway, the main thing is we come away from there with 3 points.

COYY!! :scarf: :scarf:
TUST member 200 ;-)
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I don't know why but I'm feeling a little optimistic about this fixture; optimistic, that is, that we will get a draw. So:

Welling United (0) 1
Torquay United (1) 1

Att: 677.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Unless we have some new faces - and no news of the potential signings - this is going to be another tough fixture. Welling may not have won since the opening day but their 1-1 draw last Saturday against Tranmere should be a warning.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

This may be good news.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34204326

Kabba is their top scorer so his absence would be appreciated!
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Looking forward to this one. After a fairly worrying week off the field all we can do is get out there in our numbers and show the players how much this club means to us. A win would be very, very welcome.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Welling 3
Torquay 0

Attendance 211
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Could be a new signing in the squad for tomorrow?
Gashtufc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke young

Post by Gashtufc »

Looking forward to today as its my first game of the season due to work commitments hopefully 3 points as we need to beating teams at this end of the table coys
Charley the Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by Charley the Gull »

I'm pretty hopeful following last week's performance. Not sure if Courtney is back today but lots of better performances last week will have given some confidence to the team. Looks like we could be catching Welling in a bad patch as no wins since the opening day and now their main striker suspended. Last week they only drew with a very late goal against ten men. That's got to give us some belief we can beat them. The key to me is - can we score more than we let in as we've still got work to do in defence. Feeling good, so looking for a 2-1 win for us today.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Only 2 points from 15 and Cox names an unchanged side.

Added in 3 minutes 40 seconds:
3-5-2 XI v Welling United

Spiess
Butler
Smith
Geohaghon
MacDonald
Hurst
Heslop
Carmichael
Briscoe
Fisher
Lavelle-Moore
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

We have a 'Marlon Jackson' on the bench, anyone have a clue who he is?
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

OllieGull wrote:We have a 'Marlon Jackson' on the bench, anyone have a clue who he is?
Ex Bristol City forward I think. Done the rounds at non-league level on loans IIRC
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

OllieGull wrote:We have a 'Marlon Jackson' on the bench, anyone have a clue who he is?
I'm guessing it's this guy, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlon_Ja ... tballer%29.
Signed on non-contract terms for Tranmere two weeks ago, I guess that didn't work...

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
But according to the BBC he isn't on our bench, they have
04 Fenwick
11 Murombedzi
20 Odofin
21 Lavercombe
22 Quigley
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Subs according to official Twitter:

Lavercombe
Odofin
Fenwick
Murombedzi
Quigley