Torquay United v Guiseley A.F.C

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Guiseley A.F.C

Post by Dave »

Monday saw The Gulls fall to defeat at Eastleigh despite a late comeback, and a disappointing end to the bank holiday weekend seeing The Gulls lose both our fixtures, however comparing the position of our club against the two clubs we faced pretty understandable, once again the squad must move on quickly, as this Saturday we welcome newly promoted Guiseley A.F.C.

Guiseley are nicknamed The Lions and were formed in 1909, The Lions are listed strangely as having two captains, the second of which is a very familiar face to many Gulls fans, in the form of Adam Lockwood, who made nine appearances for Torquay on loan in the 2005-6 season scoring three times for The Gulls.

Guiseley finished the 2009-10 season as Northern premier division champions and were promoted to the National league set up, This is where The Lions have been on what can be described as both an amazing yet heart breaking run. Guiseley qualified for the play-offs every season, however were twice beaten semi finalists, and twice beaten play-off finalists before being promoted to the National league premier division via the play-offs last season, at the fifth time of asking, coming from behind to beat Chorley in the final, The Lions have no shortage of players in their squad with football league experience, and will provide a stern test Saturday.

Featured Guiseley player

Tom Craddock ; born 14th October 1986, Darlington, position striker. Tom Craddock started his career with Middlesbrough making just 4 appearances, Tom would have short loans spells during his time with Middlesbrough, at Wrexham, Hartlepool United and Luton Town, however would join then Conference premier side Luton Town permanently at the start of the 2009-10 season, 31 goals in 70 games brought Tom to the attention of a number of clubs, however it would be League two Oxford United on transfer deadline day who would pay £50,000 for the strikers services, Tom Craddock scored 26 times from 80 games for Oxford before joining Portsmouth in the summer of 2013, however injuries would blight Tom's career with Portsmouth, and Tom Craddock made the move to Guiseley in the summer.

Guiseley top goal scorers

Boyes,2
Atkinson,1
Boshell, 1

Current form

Guiseley; W-W-D-L-L-D

11 Aug Guiseley 1-0 Altrincham
15 Aug Guiseley 1-0 Kidderminster
18 Aug Barrow 1-1 Guiseley
22 Aug Guiseley 0-4 Aldershot To.
29 Aug Guiseley 0-2 Gateshead
31 Aug Chester 1-1 Guiseley

Last time out

Chester 1 v 1 Guiseley

01 Drench
02 Toulson Booked
04 Lowe
24 Thompson (Boshell - 68' )
03 Parker
25 Atkinson
07 Brooksby
16 Dickinson Booked (Craddock - 61' )
14 Hatfield Booked
06 Lawlor
19 Boshell (Boyes - 68' )

Substitutes
05 Lockwood
08 Boshell
09 Boyes
10 Craddock
17 Atkinson

Guiseley manager Mark Bower

Bower said: “I’m pleased we got something out of the match, we’ve created chances again, so I’m happy.”

Further reaction to their draw with Chester; http://guiseleyafc.co.uk/first-team-new ... t-chester/

From a Torquay point of view

Monday once again saw the team not defend as well as I'm sure Paul Cox would have liked, however a stunning comeback late on nearly saw them nick an unlikely point, much has been said about the fixtures in August, particularly the bank holiday weekend that saw us face Cheltenham and Eastleigh, some how it feels like our team went into the lions den armed with just a water pistol, it's just honesty as to where our club is right now.

I'm loathed to say we have now got some easier fixtures coming up, there are no easy games, and, as Dean Edwards says in his interview , Guiseley right now are probably on par with us on what our clubs are spending, so I'll describe are upcoming fixtures as softer, rather than easier, however I see no reason why we can not or should not win this game Saturday.

Again it needs to be said, the manager, all our players, the club need our support, no moans and groans, shouting at players calling them shat, and wishing they disappeared, get behind the chosen 11.

Torquay United top goal scorers

Fisher, 3
Hurst, 2
Carmicheal, MacDonald, Quigley, 1

Current form

Torquay United; L-W-L-D-L-L

11 Aug Wrexham 3-1 Torquay Utd
15 Aug Halifax Town 2-3 Torquay Utd
18 Aug Torquay Utd 0-1 Woking
22 Aug Grimsby 2-2 Torquay Utd
29 Aug Torquay Utd 0-3 Cheltenham
31 Aug Eastleigh 3-2 Torquay Utd

Last time out

Eastleigh 3 v 2 Torquay United

01 Spiess
18 Smith
06 Geohaghon
26 Heslop
02 Hurst
03 Butler
05 MacDonald Booked
12 Carmichael (Briscoe - 52' )
16 Richards
10 Marsh (Fisher - 68' )
22 Quigley (Lavelle-Moore - 61' )

Substitutes
07 Briscoe
11 Murombedzi
17 Fisher
23 Richards
24 Lavelle-Moore

Torquay United manager Paul Cox

"You can't come and try to outplay teams who have the kind of budget that Eastleigh have and players that they have, and hope to 'get away with it'.

"We have got to first set our stall out to defend well and keep a clean sheet – and progress from there.

"That wasn't evident, especially in the first half.

"People have got to understand where we are at this stage, what we are as a group, and they have to buy into that.

"At the minute, we are a little bit individualistic as a group – and based on what I have produced in the past, I have always had good 'teams' where the roles and responsibilities of the group come before anything.

"We have to stop acting as individuals.

"I thought we were pleasing on the eye in the second half, but once again we are standing here having lost a game.

"Cheltenham on Saturday and Eastleigh today are two clubs going for automatic promotion – and I think our lack of mental strength has let us down.

"What I don't ever want to do at this football club is make excuses. It's not me and not what I am about. I am about the here and now.

"I have always said I am an impatient person and I am not going to stand here and make lame excuses. I would rather try and solve it as quickly as possible to get us into a rhythm as quickly as possible.

"We have to make right things that have been going wrong for the last couple of games."

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... z3kcJz1xWC

Head to Head/last meeting

There has been no previous match's between Torquay United and Guiseley A.F.C
Formerly known as forevertufc
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Great write up as ever forever.

Im hoping to be wrong but with two defeats in the last week, i fear we may not meet the 1800 attendance needed to break even on Pauls Budget. I doubt Guiseley will bring more than 100 and I think thats being optimistic.

I'll be there anyway. Hope many of you can as well.

2-1 Torquay.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Solid performance from the team, decent support from the crowd and a proper ref required!

2-1

COYY!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Even I think we will win this one.

Torquay United (2) 4
Guiseley (0) 0

Att: 2060
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:Even I think we will win this one.

Torquay United (2) 4
Guiseley (0) 0
Att: 2060
Careful Wivel - you'll give yourself a nosebleed. I'm going to be rather more cautious and go for a 2 - 0 win - attendance 18001. Teams such as Guiseley with several players with league experience tend to up their game when playing against former league sides and I don't think this will be an easy game.

Samuel's forecast of 12 points from the August matches turned out to be rather optimistic but I will make a forecast that we will get 12 points (at least) from the six September matches.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

tomogull wrote: Careful Wivel - you'll give yourself a nosebleed. I'm going to be rather more cautious and go for a 2 - 0 win - attendance 18001. Teams such as Guiseley with several players with league experience tend to up their game when playing against former league sides and I don't think this will be an easy game.

Samuel's forecast of 12 points from the August matches turned out to be rather optimistic but I will make a forecast that we will get 12 points (at least) from the six September matches.

Ambitious mate ;-)
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

tomogull wrote: attendance 18001.
That's a bold prediction there Tommo, don't think we'll 18001 in the stadium some how. :)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: That's a bold prediction there Tommo, don't think we'll 18001 in the stadium some how. :)
Ah, yes - a tad ambitious !! Got carried away with Wivel's 1967 Torquay Utd/Bristol Rvrs thread. What I meant wuz ...... 1801 :Oops: By the way Forever, another great summary - ta.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No problem Tommo I enjoy doing them.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I thing assuming we will beat teams like Guiseley is a pretty dangerous assumption really. They are above us in the table (which says it all really)
I'm not at all confident as coming off the back of two defeats when we think we have got an easier fixture I have seen us come unstuck time and time again.

Torquay 0
Guiseley 2

ATT 1603
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote:I thing assuming we will beat teams like Guiseley is a pretty dangerous assumption really. They are above us in the table (which says it all really)
I'm not at all confident as coming off the back of two defeats when we think we have got an easier fixture I have seen us come unstuck time and time again.

Torquay 0
Guiseley 2

ATT 1603

Wivel doesn't agree with you .......... :whistle:
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: Careful Wivel - you'll give yourself a nosebleed. I'm going to be rather more cautious and go for a 2 - 0 win - attendance 18001. Teams such as Guiseley with several players with league experience tend to up their game when playing against former league sides and I don't think this will be an easy game.

Thats a big crowd Thomo. :scarf:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Mind you, brucie does have a point.....
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

wivelgull wrote:Mind you, brucie does have a point.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually just wet myself!!...
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I think Paul Cox will get a big performance from the team after last weekend.

A narrow 2-1 win with goals from Alex Fisher and Louis Briscoe.

1650 gate.