Torquay United v Guiseley A.F.C

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Orange Gull wrote:1-1. We have been by far the better team since I started listening, however, some good defending from Guiseley has prevented us from scoring. In stoppage time now.
Cheers. Really a game we need to be winning unfortunately.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

Full time. We couldn't make anything out of some last minute corners or throw ins. Disappointing, we have to be winning games like this.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Thoughts:

Richards and Hurst are very good.

Heslop is the midfield MacDonald with slightly more ability.

MacDonald's not worth the trouble he'll get us into with his hotheadedness.

Hard to see where out and out wingers like Murombedzi fit into our formation - maybe it's time to play a more attacking system at home and save the wing back formation for away games.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

In summary....

Poor Game
Poor Crowd
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Alarm bells must be ringing with that attendance.
Lucy
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Some quick points. We were lucky on two particular occasions. MacDonald did a ridiculous shirt pull in the first half in the penalty area. How the ref didn't see it I don't know. The blokes shirt must have pulled out by 12 inches. There was absolutely no need to do it, ludicrous. It was a nailed on penalty. Secondly, I don't think I have ever been so sure that a goal was going to be scored when they hit the inside of the post in the second half. All of us in Bristows couldn't believe our eyes when it failed to go in. Very very lucky. I am afraid Butler at left back had a poor game. Not sure about him at all. Awful passing. Generally, crosses into the penalty area could only have been met by a 10 foot greyhound, too hard and high. Not all negative though. No.17 Fisher missed two possibly three by either not sticking his leg out far enough or being a bit slow on the uptake. Good saves by Spiess. Quigley livened things up and did some good runs. The lad with the surfer hair left of midfield, his names escapes me for the moment, had quite a good game and wins good balls in the air despite not being the tallest. Despite the result against league new boys I still enjoyed the game. Poor crowd. Come on South Devon, get behind this team.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

If Guiseley had been winning 3-1 at half-time it would have reflected their dominance. They were far superior in all departments and honestly should have had a second penalty.
We bossed most of the second-half but the end result was tame. The Guiseley keeper had a pretty easy afternoon. For Cox to say we could have won it he was watching with blinkered eyes because the result should have been out of sight by half-time. Also what about Guiseley shot hitting the inside of the post and not going in close to the end of the match?
These are desperate times!
Also every time there is a woeful home performance there are 200 less attending the next match. 1300 v Bromley?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lucky enough to be an invited guest of the match sponsors today, so a different view of the game from the match sponsors box today, firstly a frustrating game, first 30-35 minutes belonged to Guiseley , and just being honest that was a real concern. Thanks to a first class reaction save from Spiess added to that Spiess was out quickly and bravely to the feet of Guiseley forward and two further occasions we'd have surely gone in at the break behind and with a mountain to climb.

This is where the frustration comes in. Second half once again the team have come out looking sharper much better tempo to our play, we've created enough good attacking opportunities in the second half, but for a gamble, or a better ball into the box this game would have been won by us, despite Guiseley striking our post twice.

Spiess certainly deserved a mention today, perfectly set wall for their free-kick that hit the post, and good reason why the Guiseley player hit the post rather than scoring, Spiess was flawless in every thing he did, I said in the week it was far to early to judge him, far to early for people to jump on his back, todays confidence boosting performance from Fabian Spiess was proof of that if it was ever needed, he wasn't my choice as motm but I was out voted by others in our vote.

For me Hurst is clearly the pick our players right now, Lavelle-Moore had a very good game, ran their back line ragged in the second half. The signs are there, that our team is going to be ok and however at the moment we're seeing just bits and pieces of the match, we can't seem to find any consistency through the 90 minutes.

Finally, last season was with the match sponsors prior to the Aldershot game, no10's was appalling, and a real feel upstairs that no one really gave a monkeys. Today being in no10's, firstly what am improvement well done to all at the club for that, but being in their and Gulls nest, not my normal watering hole, I had a chance to see first hand those working behind the scenes.

Seriously there our good people here now working their nuts off for our football club, to any fan reading this, they deserve better than 1500 fans, it's going to take time to rebuild, with out our support there's no chance.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Opinions, opinions but Spiess MOM is a joke? For me Hurst and Smith were head and shoulders better. Good thing none of us are manager of TUFC!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I thought this was an entertaining game by our young side against much more experienced players.

Although we failed to win we were much the better team in the second half.

All the team showed desire and there were a number of stand out performances.

Hurst and Smith were fantastic in defence and Fabien Speiss played very well particularly in the first half.

Alex Fisher was a constant danger to Guiseley and on another day could have scored a hat trick.

I know Butler does not always get the final cross in well but just count how often he does get the ball into the danger area.

Lavelle-Moore did his best and Paul Cox was pleased with his effort judging by his response when Quigley came on to replace Malachi.

The area we were weak was midfield.Briscoe and Heslop were just not good enough against opponents who were well organised.

Very disappointing gate at 1558.

Please dont give up on this team they are going to get better. If only Luke Young was not injured. We really miss you Luke.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

nickbrod wrote:Opinions, opinions but Spiess MOM is a joke? For me Hurst and Smith were head and shoulders better. Good thing none of us are manager of TUFC!

Re-read my post, yes I was with the match sponsors today, I DIDN'T vote Spiess motm, I do agree Hurst was my motm, voting for Spiess wasn't a joke though, we'd have been 4.1 down at halftime if it wasn't for him.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Glad to hear that feeling "upstairs" was still there, noticed it in the first match when I had the meal.

Feeling a bit of negativity on here this evening got to be honest I throughly enjoyed the game. Not sure what people expect, take a look at the opposition team sheet then Google their names, you'll find more experience in that Guiseley side than you possibly realised initially. We held our own and could have won (and could have lost) but we did OK more than that we did well.

Made an effort to take two with me today, not newbies but two who hadn't been for a while and on that performance they said they will return. Forever is right about Spiess he had an outstanding game, can't mention anything he did wrong because he didn't, how long is it since we've said that about a TQY keeper? Sorry I don't see what Fisher has, just don't get it, obviously Cox sees something I don't. Could go on all day about what he didn't do but three times he could have got on the end of perfect crosses into the box where anything on it would have put it in and he wasn't there in time. Strikers have to be there to score them and he wasn't. Lavelle-Moore excellent today, Hurst brilliant, thank God we have someone with pace again. Good performance against an experienced bunch, we did well guys get down to Plainmoor please!
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

Couldn't make it due to work today but it sounded like most of our performances this season. Slow to get into the game and then after half time we are sharper and more on it, teams must see this by now too and put pressure on us early on which has cost us, i.e Eastleigh. Lavelle-Moore and hurst sounded dangerous on the radio and on another day it could have ended 3-3 with the chances both teams had! The crowd of 1500 is disappointing and if you take away the away fans that's down into the 1400 region! Come on guys, don't give up on the team and the club, they need us. COYY
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

Today was the second match I've seen this season, the first being our opening win against Macclesfield. The truth of the matter is that Torquay were fortunate to escape with a point today as Guiseley had the clearer chances throughout the match. I thought Guiseley looked more cohesive and played a better brand of football. I can't say I'm impressed with Paul Cox's style of football thus far. It's primitive stuff launching the ball down the channels in hope than expectation. There's little imagination or flair on show. At least Hurst playing right wingback has quality and I was also impressed with loanee Smith at the back. I like big Exodus at the back for his physical presence and character and also his lethal weapon from his long throws. Sponsors MOTM Speiss had a very good game in goal and saved us from an embarrassing defeat. Crowd a dismal 1,558 with 65 from Guiseley.

Guiseley may have been a tad fortunate winning their penalty but it was no more than they deserved. Before that they had 3 clear chances. Spiess made a fine tip over reaction save, Guisesley hit the woodwork direct from a curling freekick and Guiseley were through on goal but luckily they panicked and messed up the shot. Torquay in contrast offered very little and looked there for the taking. Torquay appeared to be rewarded a penalty from a trip in the box but the referee was instead pointing for a goal kick to be taken. The next minute there was a bit of contact from Exodus in our box, their player went down easily and the referee DID point towards the spot. The penalty was dispatched sending Speiss the wrong way. Torquay equalised through a scruffy goal, there was a scramble in their box and Exodus, our centre half, scored from close range. Oh well a goal is a goal however they go in and we desperately needed that one.

Torquay did improve in the second half and were on top. One or two dangerous crosses came in but no-one was alert enough to finish them. In fact Torquay looked very toothless in attack and in midfield and our wingbacks was our best hope of producing something. Lavelle-Moore showed some decent footwork in beating their players and tried 1 or 2 efforts on goal. Fisher on the otherhand was having a poor game in attack and needs to anticipate more any chances. In midfield new boy Heslop was poor most of the time with erratic passing and Torquay on the whole looked a disjointed mess of a team. Substitute Quidley made a great solo run near the end and his shot was just blocked but the sad truth is that Torquay's moves were all about hope and not expectation. You just hoped they might get another scrappy goal from a set piece. However Guiseley looked certain to score near the end only for the ball to bounce off the inside of the post.

It's a poor standard to watch I'm afraid. Hargreaves might have had his faults but at least there was a chance I would witness some inventiveness in our moves, some flair and the odd well crafted goal. Today there was little quality on show from Torquay, the 3-5-2 formation does not seem to be working as we don't seem to have options going forward and we look vulnerable at the back. Unless we improve our standard there is every chance we will be in for another relegation scrap. Right now we're like a jigsaw puzzle with very few parting fitting together!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Disappointing result today, Speiss did well today lets hope a few more come and support at the next game. Hurst is looking a good signing but we need to improve.