Torquay United v Guiseley A.F.C

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Watching the game from the match sponsors box certainly gave me a different perspective on the game, than I normally get from the popside, I can see why we do get differing opinions on the match, and individual players performances. I do agree in part on Paul Cox's assessment, said it myself there inconsistencies I performances, and today, this was a game we could have won or lost, second half I counted 6-7 crosses in the Guiseley box that were over hit, get 50 % of them in the right areas there's a goal in it for you, agree with the sentiment in some of the above posts, said in my first reply, the players know the crosses are coming, like to see Fisher and strike partners have more of a gamble in the box.

Think it's right to paint an honest picture, there's clearly a lot of hard work to do, and it's going take a long time to get a competitive team out on the pitch performing consistently. The team/club, manager are going to need patience, understanding and bit of forgiveness along the way from us fans.

I said right from the start I wouldn't be able to go to all the games, but I'm to make the effort to get as many games, and more besides that I can, and I really hope some of the fans who've drifted away will begin to feel the same way, it's vicious circle, the fans wont come with out ambition, the club cant show ambition with out the fans, we need to try and get those gates back up to 2,000+ regardless of the football currently on offer, other wise there might not be club down the line.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I thought we were lucky to come away with a point this afternoon. Both teams played some neat football in the first half but Guiseley were the better organised. The second half was rather ragged with United pumping high balls into the area which were easily gobbled up by the Guiseley defenders or their 'keeper. They had several experienced league players in their side and that experience showed in the second half when they slowed the game down by writhing around 'injured'. I know fans on here like Dan Butler but his crosses in the second half were dreadful. Likewise Heslop who was putting too much on his through passes but I thought he was a bit better than he has been so far. We again pumped everything up in the air instead of playing the ball on the ground. Had we stuck to the passing game we were playing in the first half, I think we would have worn them down. Good to see Fabian Speiss on top of his game today. He certainly kept us in the game in the first half. He didn't have much to do in the second half. I think it's a tad harsh to accuse Fisher of not anticipating crosses. He did anticipate the two chances he had but they were inches in front of him. On another day, he will score chances like that.

Both Carmichael and Briscoe looked knackered for the last 15 minutes. Lavelle-Moore was a revelation - Quigley could learn a lot by taking note of the positions that Malachi takes up. I thought his booking was harsh. I got the feeling that Macdonald didn't look very happy all match today. I don't know if anything can be read into that. Well, that's where we are at present, folks - on a par with Guiseley. But I think we will improve as the season progresses. To be fair to Guiseley, they looked a decent side and I don't think they will have any relegation worries. Anyone know what the 'handbags' skirmish at the end was all about and who was involved?

The gate of just over 1500 was woeful and a kick in the teeth to the Board, manager and players for what they are trying to do. Maybe the quality and experience isn't there yet but nobody can knock the effort of the players.
WillowsGull
New Signing
New Signing

Post by WillowsGull »

With regards to the low attendance you have to remember it clashed with the England v Ireland rugby match and was just before the San Marino v England match, I'm sure there's have been a few hundred more if it wasn't for that.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Some good, some bad and some damn right ugly yesterday
First 20mins were appalling. Speiss aside we looked like we had been on the beer the night before. I have no clue what Exodus thought he was doing for the pen and he looked a liability all day for me.
Grew into the game after their goal but still a poor half of football for us and lucky to be level at the break.
Second half (apart from a crazy 5 mins before the end) we dominated the game and Carmicheal won every second ball in midfield and owned that area of the pitch. Was really impressed with him and my MOM.
Hurst looks our biggest attacking threat (which although a positive it also shows how little threat our strikers had). He was caught out a couple of time postionally but that is going to happen with wingbacks. He will be our big hope for a transfer fee in Jan.
Lavelle-Moore was tidy but never felt there was likely to be end product from him. I thought perhaps Cox could have given Fenwick a go when they were tiring but he saw it differently.
Some great balls low and hard across the box and I was massively frustrated the striker did not gamble more - should have had 3 tap ins during the game.
For a game we dominated stats wise we always looked the most nervous at the back (Smith aside) and truth told Guiseley (who must be commended for playing some good football at times) had the better chances over the ninety minutes.
Biggest disappointment of the day was the attendance.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Charley the Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by Charley the Gull »

Have to say the team must have been listening to advice. I thought it was a far better performance yesterday with virtually all the team playing pretty well. First time this year I thought they were playing football and trying to pass the ball. Also have to say that Speiss showed real skill yesterday and at last managed the defence - excellent saves and good positioning; for the first time I also heard him really shouting so good for him. Hurst for me was definitely MOM with his runs down the wing and great crossing. Give it to Guiseley they were very good at interpassing and moving the ball around but a shame we couldn't finish them off as they tired at the end. I came away feeling far better about the future and I think the manager is beginning to pull them together and he was applauding the guys frequently yesterday. Still worried about defence as the concentration and awareness isn't there yet but that should come with time. Overall I can see the start of a good footballing team and we now have options with the likes of Malachai and Briscoe physically bossing situations with the full/wingbacks providing good low and hard crosses. Can't wait for the next match but c'mon you slackers come and support the boys
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Its rubbish to suggest that the England rugby or England v San Marino football had anything to do with the attendance. I didn't listen to the game yesterday so cannot judge it. Some people say we should have lost others say we should have won.
Some people have been made excuses for our form because we have being playing good sides.
Well Cheltenham and Eastleigh were beaten by Altrincham and Barrow respectively yesterday which might suggest that they are not that great after all.
Some people are suggesting that Guiseley are an experienced side. Well that maybe correct but they are also a part time team playing their third game in seven days and faced a long journey yesterday in still heavy traffic due to the holiday Period. They have also been whacked 4-0 by the mighty Aldershot.
The attendance was horrific but not surprising - the abysmal display at home to Cheltenham and the loss at Eastleigh were the reason for the no show yesterday.
We had to win yesterday and didn't.
The board are doing a heroic job but really its difficult to see our terminal decline being addressed as its looking an impossible job really. I do wonder whether the club will be up for sale again before the end of the season.
Worrying and depressing times.
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

First the positives from yesterday. I thought Speiss, had a good game as did Lavelle-Moore and Hurst. The best Torquay player was Smith and that brings me to the negatives. I do no feel that the 5-3-2 formation is working and having three centre backs brings no more to the table than having two. I might get shouted down for this, but I would drop Exodus for the next game and play four at the back.
I do not think that Briscoe contributed much yesterday and on too many occasions we were overrun in midfield( when this clearly should not be the case when playing five). The trouble was that we found ourselves playing five at the back thus being short in the middle.
However, still early days and I have confidence in Cox. I am very worried about the attendance. Simply dreadful yesterday - we have lost several hundred of the hard core fans. I not sure its possible, but Cox will have to show some improvements quickly if we are to get back to the regular 2,000. If this does not prove possible I fear we may be in terminal decline.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

If I was à new director of Torquay United I would be worried,I have put my money where my mouth is and all the so called supporters of the club except for a few hundred stay home either to watch T V or go shopping with the wife,these people have put thousands of pounds into the club and yet the most of the Torquay and surrounding public do not get it,Turn Up , or see our team playing st Mary church spurs.This is the start of the next phase or the beginning of the end. Fifteen hundred people is a disgrace.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

brucie wrote: Some people are suggesting that Guiseley are an experienced side. Well that maybe correct but they are also a part time team playing their third game in seven days and faced a long journey yesterday in still heavy traffic due to the holiday Period. They have also been whacked 4-0 by the mighty Aldershot.
Don't underestimate Guiseley, Brucie. Yes - they had a rather suprising 4 - 0 drubbing at home to Aldershot who are not exactly pulling up trees this season and you are right in saying that they are a part-time side and had a long trip down to Devon (the sort of long trip that Hargreaves would have pounced on as an excuse last season) but they do have several players with league experience and that experience showed near the end of the match when it was clear some of them were feeling the pace and interrupted the play by going down writhing in agony but somehow after a minute or two's rest, managed to get up and run around again. They are not a kick and hope side - they played some neat football, especially in the first half. I am one of those who think we were fortunate to get away with a point yesterday. Not only did they hit the post twice, they should have had a nailed-on second penalty only minutes after the first penalty, also a dead cert, was awarded. They were well organised and if they play like they did yesterday, they will cause trouble for other sides and I don't see them as relegation candidates.

We missed Courtenay Richards yesterday (I'm told he has a hamstring injury which is bad news) but on the positive side, we were much better than we were against Cheltenham and actually, it was an entertaining game. As others have posted, it's going to be an up and down season where there will be good and not so good results - we will be okay and finish mid table. But yesterday's attendance was a real worry.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Thanks for the reports. I think one of our biggest problems right now is the lack of goals we score from open play. Most of our goals this season have come through set-pieces or a long throw. Our wing-backs pose a far greater threat than our midfield. Richards, Carmichael and Heslop seem too similar. Good at breaking up play but how many chances have they created for our strikers? I can't see any of them contributing more than a few goals over the season. Obviously we desperately miss Young but I do think Cox should have tried to sign a more creative midfielder than Heslop, who doesn't bring anything new to the team. Hopefully he'll improve with more games but the jury is out.

I also think Cox is being let down by our two other senior pros and ex-Stags. Briscoe doesn't seem effective playing in the hole. The game is passing him by and he's not causing problems for our opponents. It might be worth sticking him up front for a few games. Is that not where he played in his best performance in a Torquay shirt at Barnet last season? Exodus is also making too many mistakes. He's costing us goals - and while he scored one yesterday - his performances are very erratic. His throw is a huge weapon but defensively he looks weak. Smith actually plays like he's the most experienced of our defenders and is far more solid. When we have such a young team who are struggling, it's vital that the likes of Heslop, Briscoe and Ex lead by example and take games by the scruff of the neck and I'm not seeing any evidence of that.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

I understand the lack of goals is one of biggest problems, (although there were at least three clear cut opportunities that I counted that could have been put away) but surely far and away our biggest problem is lack of support? I shall be at the next home game, can't knock people who don't go as there's always lots of different personal reasons but can't we make a special effort even just for one match that shows we are at least appreciating what is going on? We used to do it for away matches.

Trying to decide here if buying a "rest of season ticket" or contributing my entrance fee to the players fund to matches I can't attend is the best option and would appreciate advice on those choices, but I am making that commitment here and now to show my appreciation for Mr Phillips, Mr Coxes and others efforts.

Incidentally did anyone see what caused the handbags incident at the end yesterday ?
Last edited by Dave_Pougher on 06 Sep 2015, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
TUST MEMBER No. 166

JOHNSON HAD A DREAM
TO BUILD FOOTBALL TEAM
HE HAD NO JOB SO HE CAME TO THE GULLS
WITH CAMERON AT THE BACK
AND REIDY IN ATTACK
WE'RE TORQUAY UNITED
WE'RE ON OUR WAY BACK !!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tommyg wrote:Thanks for the reports. I think one of our biggest problems right now is the lack of goals we score from open play. Most of our goals this season have come through set-pieces or a long throw. Our wing-backs pose a far greater threat than our midfield. Richards, Carmichael and Heslop seem too similar. Good at breaking up play but how many chances have they created for our strikers? I can't see any of them contributing more than a few goals over the season. Obviously we desperately miss Young but I do think Cox should have tried to sign a more creative midfielder than Heslop, who doesn't bring anything new to the team. Hopefully he'll improve with more games but the jury is out.

I also think Cox is being let down by our two other senior pros and ex-Stags. Briscoe doesn't seem effective playing in the hole. The game is passing him by and he's not causing problems for our opponents. It might be worth sticking him up front for a few games. Is that not where he played in his best performance in a Torquay shirt at Barnet last season? Exodus is also making too many mistakes. He's costing us goals - and while he scored one yesterday - his performances are very erratic. His throw is a huge weapon but defensively he looks weak. Smith actually plays like he's the most experienced of our defenders and is far more solid. When we have such a young team who are struggling, it's vital that the likes of Heslop, Briscoe and Ex lead by example and take games by the scruff of the neck and I'm not seeing any evidence of that.
The most creative midfielder in the club is Chaney he's not been tried, he works hard and gets the odd goal was one of the best players in pre-season.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Brucie is right in several of his points.

You can't blame international football/rugby on the attendance. The fact is the local population of Torbay has long lost interest in the club and the signs have been there for a long time.

How many members does the TUST now consist of?
Remember the paltry number of season tickets we had sold prior to the new board arriving?

The fact is, there used to be a hardcore of 2,200 supporters, that decreased to 2,000 and now we're looking at a hardcore of 1,800 supporters. I took my two daughters yesterday for a rare visit to the family stand so that's two more than normal and I noticed in a previous post that somebody else also took two others so to only attract 1,500 fans, as a product, we're really struggling.

Defeats to Cheltenham and Eastleigh will have done nothing to encourage peope to part with their money. Yesterday, I felt we were lucky to go in at half time level. Guisley were better organised, more threatening and deserved at least a point from the game. It's now two weeks until the next game so more time for people to forget about Plainmoor and look elsewhere for weekend pursuits.

I can see some potential with the team. There is, in my opinion, an improvement on the shambles put out by CH last season and I believe in Paul Cox and believe he will not be sleeping too well at night right now. I also thank the board for keeping the club going when it looked as though all was lost. However, despite all this, the people have to turn up to watch and if they don't the club will be in serious trouble again very quickly.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

Absolutely crucial for the attendances to be above 2000 if the club is to survive as a professional outfit. The current Board have put their money where their mouths are- we must give them every ounce of support we can- one only has to look at what happened to Hereford United to see what can happen if we don't all pull together. We are extremely fortunate to have Paul Cox as manager- he is working desperately hard on a very limited budget-and we must back him to the hilt
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

The sad reality is reality is that we're all preaching to the converted.

The 50-100 regular posters on here are just a fraction of the "hardcore". To improve as a club, we need another 1k+ regulars to start going so that finances improve and hopefully, so do results.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.