Torquay United v Guiseley A.F.C

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Got to say I agree with you rich inns the young lad from bmth was very good I also watched games where him and Courtney played football through the middle and their passing was excellent the problem IMO is that we play too many long balls and don't play it through midfield like we should also the young lad from bmth is being used as a holding midfielder but with his range of passing maybe he should be getting forward more and being allowed to use his passing skills to create chances.
TUST_Member_Rob

Post by TUST_Member_Rob »

Alley wrote:Got to say I agree with you rich inns the young lad from bmth was very good I also watched games where him and Courtney played football through the middle and their passing was excellent the problem IMO is that we play too many long balls and don't play it through midfield like we should also the young lad from bmth is being used as a holding midfielder but with his range of passing maybe he should be getting forward more and being allowed to use his passing skills to create chances.
Definitely agree with too many long balls yesterday, numerous times Butler could have slipped a ball down the line for the next player but instead chose to chip it or hoof long. Talking about Butler, thought he was pretty poor yesterday, some real poor crosses but he's another young lad and is a good LB.

Fisher on another day could have had a hat-trick he must have been inches away on a couple of balls across the face of goal!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

brucie wrote:Its rubbish to suggest that the England rugby or England v San Marino football had anything to do with the attendance. I didn't listen to the game yesterday so cannot judge it. Some people say we should have lost others say we should have won.
Some people have been made excuses for our form because we have being playing good sides.
Well Cheltenham and Eastleigh were beaten by Altrincham and Barrow respectively yesterday which might suggest that they are not that great after all.
Some people are suggesting that Guiseley are an experienced side. Well that maybe correct but they are also a part time team playing their third game in seven days and faced a long journey yesterday in still heavy traffic due to the holiday Period. They have also been whacked 4-0 by the mighty Aldershot.
The attendance was horrific but not surprising - the abysmal display at home to Cheltenham and the loss at Eastleigh were the reason for the no show yesterday.
We had to win yesterday and didn't.
The board are doing a heroic job but really its difficult to see our terminal decline being addressed as its looking an impossible job really. I do wonder whether the club will be up for sale again before the end of the season.
Worrying and depressing times.
Guiseley didn't travel down on the day-they stayed in Torquay overnight.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It was always going to be the case, i said at the time of Dave Phillips initial thoughts that we'd get 2000 regularly that it was extremely optimistic. With the cost of living, football isn't value for money especially terrible football in a terrible league with predominantly terrible players. We've been served up some of the worst football in the country over the last 3 years or so and like I said in August if we get off to an iffy start don't expect crowds to stick around too long. There is always a slight increase at the start of the season when everyone is keen and excited but unless you hit the ground running numbers traditionally drop.

We also have no real stand out fixture this year, no Luton, No Bristol Rovers, No Exeter etc it says it all that our local game and kind of big fixture is against Cheltenham, traditionally poor travellers who as ever brought average numbers down to a gate they would have hoped for 2500 from.

Really fancied us to struggle on and off the pitch this season, I don't doubt everyone is trying their best and I'm sure everyone is thankful for that but this is borderline the impossible job and it's going to get harder once the 'proper football' starts like Cox says, this lot won't fancy that one iota on the evidence thus far.
Gullible
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dan Butler

Post by Gullible »

For those of you who thought Dan Butler was poor on Saturday, he was given Star Player for this game in the Non-League paper! I think he's doing what PC wants him to do, as we know he can play the ball on the ground as that's what he was doing in pre-season. I'm guessing if he doesn't do what the manager wants, he'll be one who'll be moved on - rock and a hard place!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Personally do not think it's the case that any of us think Dan Butler is poor, or was poor Saturday. He clearly is a very talented young player with heaps of potential.

For me it's about expressing an honest view point, our main goal threat, is an ariel threat. Dan Butler put 5-6 crosses into the Guiseley box in the second half and not one of them was in the right place, over hit every time, whilst I thought he played well overall at Eastleigh, he barely got a corner past the first man, he's young and that'll improve.

I'm not saying Dan Butler should be putting 10 out 10 crosses corners right on the money, but, even at this level he should be around 50% and currently he's no where near that, as said, when your main goal threat is set pieces and crosses, the manager and team need a better service from the likes of Dan Butler, there's goals to had here.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullible
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dan Butler

Post by Gullible »

Tust_Member_Rob said he was "poor" so I was going on that. I was at both games and, at Eastleigh, I think there was only one corner from Dan Butler that didn't get past the first man. I do know that PC likes a particular brand of football and I do know, from people in the know at the club, that is what is focussed on in training.