Eastleigh FC v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Just back from the game, there defiantly a need to take a close look at our defending, first half both goals were stoppable especially the second which I thought was a poor goal to give away, the tempo first half wasn't there, our team looked tired, the energy and commitment we saw in the opening games missing again.

Not going to be as critical about the second half, right from the start the team looked sharper, closing down quicker and had more propose about them, even if a bit of quality was missing in our play, we've hit the foot of there post and I turned and said to a friend I wonder if that half an inch might to turn out to be important, and it did, the Hurst goal seemed to unsettled, unnerve Eastleigh a bit, and our team came more and more into late on, and in the dying embers we nearly stole a point, didn't see who but a shot takes a deflection, but for that, I'm certain it would have gone in.

As much as I was despair Saturday, I'm proud of the team today, yes they may lack quality, but they showed plenty of spirit in the second half, and proud of the fans today, even at 0.3 down the noise was as good as I've heard in a long time. Stick with all, there's been a whole lot of shite passed to the mew owners, a lot to fix, they need our backing.
Formerly known as forevertufc
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

N
forevertufc wrote:Just back from the game, there defiantly a need to take a close look at our defending, first half both goals were stoppable especially the second which I thought was a poor goal to give away, the tempo first half wasn't there, our team looked tired, the energy and commitment we saw in the opening games missing again.

Not going to be as critical about the second half, right from the start the team looked sharper, closing down quicker and had more propose about them, even if a bit of quality was missing in our play, we've hit the foot of there post and I turned and said to a friend I wonder if that half an inch might to turn out to be important, and it did, the Hurst goal seemed to unsettled, unnerve Eastleigh a bit, and our team came more and more into late on, and in the dying embers we nearly stole a point, didn't see who but a shot takes a deflection, but for that, I'm certain it would have gone in.

As much as I was despair Saturday, I'm proud of the team today, yes they may lack quality, but they showed plenty of spirit in the second half, and proud of the fans today, even at 0.3 down the noise was as good as I've heard in a long time. Stick with all, there's been a whole lot of shite passed to the mew owners, a lot to fix, they need our backing.
:goodpost: the opening 7 games picked by the fixture computer was a challenge. September will answer many questions.
Lucy
A Realist
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by A Realist »

brucie wrote:f*** off Scott - you don't see any games so don't have a clue what you are on about. You have no idea how bad we actually are. Its nothing to do with giving the team a chance. Listen to the strong words by Dave Thomas at the end of the game.
Brucie sometimes I think you get an overly hard time on here for some of the things you say. However, don't listen to Thomas. His views these days are nothing short of embarrassing and imo he's had his nose put out of joint as he doesn't have as many friends in high places as he used to. He is so quick to run the club down and fails to report the facts on what state his old buddies actually left the club in.

Everyone knew that the opening 7 fixtures were always going to be difficult and although there have been some poorer performances of late, give it another few games before we start hitting the panic button. Already played away to Wrexham, Grimsby, Eastleigh and Halifax with two of the three home games being against some of the better teams as well. 7 points is not ideal at this stage but with the whole structure being new, it was never going to be an easy ride to begin with. The fans need to stick behind the team and the club, not just in the next few weeks, but for the whole season. There will be bad times but at least there will be times at all.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote:f*** off Scott - you don't see any games so don't have a clue what you are on about. You have no idea how bad we actually are. Its nothing to do with giving the team a chance. Listen to the strong words by Dave Thomas at the end of the game.
Brucie I've extremely supportive of you on here while others have been losing their heads with you, can't support this at all, why don't you ring the club make an appointment to see Steve Breed and discuss your concerns with him, he's a very nice, and approachable person.

As others have suggested don't even bother listening to Dave Thomas, CH and previous board were his best friends, Dave Thomas is becoming a complete embarrassment to our club, and if he doesn't like it, the sooner he shuts the fork up, and takes his views elsewhere the better, it's going take time Brucie the club was 48 hrs away from going down the toilet, this is not going happen over night, TUFC needs understanding from it's fans, and more importantly support.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Another great atmosphere today by The Yellow Army. Was good to see SG again, Forever and the rest of the gang.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

The first thing I would say is that the fans who went were fantastic and sang all through the game and the players I spoke to after the game all said what a great fan base they are now on to the game I think paul cox is a good manager however he plays with 7 men behind the ball3 c/backs and 2 full backs and 2 holding midfielders what happened today was that hurst attacked got caught upfield and we were outnumbered on the right for the 1st goalMrCox gets the full backs to attack and put crosses into the box for the forwards this then cuts out the midfield so they look as if they are ineffective but it's not that the midfield are poor it's because the system we are playing is passing them by. 2games we played through midfield one was Grimsby and the otherWoking we were excellent for 45 mins in both games before we started long balls into the box we have players who can play football so we need to play football IMO.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Alley wrote:The first thing I would say is that the fans who went were fantastic and sang all through the game and the players I spoke to after the game all said what a great fan base they are now on to the game I think paul cox is a good manager however he plays with 7 men behind the ball3 c/backs and 2 full backs and 2 holding midfielders what happened today was that hurst attacked got caught upfield and we were outnumbered on the right for the 1st goalMrCox gets the full backs to attack and put crosses into the box for the forwards this then cuts out the midfield so they look as if they are ineffective but it's not that the midfield are poor it's because the system we are playing is passing them by. 2games we played through midfield one was Grimsby and the otherWoking we were excellent for 45 mins in both games before we started long balls into the box we have players who can play football so we need to play football IMO.

Good points, Alley, but on your keyboard next to the M you will find a , and next to that a . :whistle: Adding to your posting, only Barrow have conceded more goals than we have (they have conceded 15 whereas we've conceded 14). Whilst acknowledging we have had a tough start to the season, I was expecting Paul Cox's teams to be meaner in defence but that's not happening yet. The spotlight must be on the defence but it's still very early days.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We're only two points behind Grimsby, and four behind Tranmere. All things considered, we've made a reasonable start.

The season has hardly begun, and there's still a long way to go.

Don't worry. The Gulls will turn out to be the Mo Farah of the National League.. :)
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Can hear us loud and clear, all game. Superb.

[youtube]gp6rjaOacNY[/youtube]
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Looking at the video their first two goals resulted from our wing back formation with Eastleigh being afforded too much time down the flank. Their third goal looked a ludicrous free kick with their player falling over. Unfortunately yet another error from Speiss - he has to save that.
Briscoe should have buried the chance at the end though - could and should have come away with a very unlikely draw.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

See there we have it. Some of our fans have got themselves into such stupor over the goalkeeping situation, and have become so hell bent on getting Cox to drop Spiess for our schoolboy reserve keeper they can not even take just 4 seconds to analyse the video properly.

From our position, view in the ground I couldn't see the position of the wall or how many were placed in it. It's clear watching the video that the free kick was extremely well placed, and struck hard enough to make it a tough shot for a keeper at any level to keep out, but it would clear to anyone with just modicum of football knowledge that Spiess only had 3 players in the wall, when in my view most keepers even at a much lower level should and would have had 4 in the wall.

If we're really that desperate to over analyse everything Spiess does, at least do try to get the right mistake, if indeed there was one there.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

The first two goals came about as a result of our defenders giving way too much space in the box. Their player had far too much time on the ball in which he could turn and shoot. Exactly the same at Wrexham, it has not been rectified. I have to agree with Brucie on the third goal, perhaps Speiss was unsighted but I think he should be saving that. I heard that Briscoe missed a golden opportunity but seeing the footage makes you realise how easy it was to score. Should have buried it.

As everyone else has said, our defending is shaky at best, they have to get tighter on their man in the box otherwise we will continue to concede soft goals.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Said on another thread, first goal is a midfield error, forcing wing back narrow.

Unfortunately this is a running theme with us at the moment. Our back three (barring a dodgy few bit against Cheltenham) have actually done ok, but the ball gets through to them far too easily and they are often overloaded. The ball comes back too quickly, too.

For me, we need more in midfield and up front. Maybe fairhurst when fit will allow heslop to drop back into a position I think suits him better. Maybe fairhurst can hold the ball a bit more up front. I like quigley, but fear we need more experience there at the moment.

Judging from Cox 's post match I would say I am not far off how he feels, either. Will be interesting to see whether he can eek out another player or two from somewhere. I have heard a rumour of a forward we are talking to - I won't name, sorry - which I mention just to illustrate where Cox thinks we are lacking.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

No, try standing on a goal line and then face a shot coming at you into the bottom corner at 80 mph or above and see if you can save it. It really is quite clear, Payne gets the opportunity to pick his spot because there is only 3 in wall, that's the mistake if any was made, it can be any simpler to analyse.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

forevertufc wrote:No, try standing on a goal line and then face a shot coming at you into the bottom corner at 80 mph or above and see if you can save it. It really is quite clear, Payne gets the opportunity to pick his spot because there is only 3 in wall, that's the mistake if any was made, it can be any simpler to analyse.
Agree the mistake was in the construction of the wall. Interesting that he made the same mistake in a pre season game at Tiverton, only two (I think) in the wall then, letting the Tiverton lad pick his spot. Which he did.