Eastleigh FC v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Gulliball wrote:That little late surge just gives us a bit of momentum to take into September. We know we have a young and freshly built side, that should get better with a bit of time. If you look at where the sides we have faced so far currently sit:

2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 11th, 16th and 21st.

We have lost to the four top 6 sides, drew with 11th and beat 16th and 21st. In other words, we've had a tough month and have done exactly what you would expect for a mid table side.

The next six games are (in the order we play them):

14th, 22nd, 24th, 20th, 15th, 12th.

After these six games, we should have a much better view of where we currently stand. All of them are winnable and 11 points (3 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat) should be about par.
:goodpost:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Gulliball wrote:That little late surge just gives us a bit of momentum to take into September. We know we have a young and freshly built side, that should get better with a bit of time. If you look at where the sides we have faced so far currently sit:

2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 11th, 16th and 21st.

We have lost to the four top 6 sides, drew with 11th and beat 16th and 21st. In other words, we've had a tough month and have done exactly what you would expect for a mid table side.

The next six games are (in the order we play them):

14th, 22nd, 24th, 20th, 15th, 12th.

After these six games, we should have a much better view of where we currently stand. All of them are winnable and 11 points (3 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat) should be about par.
:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote:f*** off Scott - you don't see any games so don't have a clue what you are on about. You have no idea how bad we actually are. Its nothing to do with giving the team a chance. Listen to the strong words by Dave Thomas at the end of the game.

You bellend. You've seen one more game than him and obviously both your sons share your distinctive brand of pessimism. That or Xmas came early in the Larcombe household.

Unlike you there are fans who are grateful to have a club to support and also grateful that the new consortium secured national football for this season. If you only knew how difficult things really are at the club you'd shut your trap and actually get behind the team you say you support. I warned you last year that Eastleigh would overtake us and they're not far from that right now.

It's time you wound your neck in and actually started supporting the club again instead of spouting your diatribe of bullshit.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Just got in

Stats eh. On goals we lost the first half 2-0, we won the second half 2-1. No way were they 2 goals better than us first half. Disagree thought Richards played well, he is not Luke Young, hes accuracy isn't consistent, BUT he tries very hard, as did most of the team actually. I disagree Exodus IS NOT A liability, without hes throws we would have at least 2 less goals this season, I thought he did ok today.

Some observations though. Our corners are not threatening, our throw ins are!
A lot of distribution from the back (and that includes midfielders) is a bit hurried and ends up with the opposition.
But in general the players tried as best they could today.
The attack that finished the game looked more threatening than the one that started.
Even 3-0 down we didn't give up, heads did not drop.
That was NOT a poor performance, don't read into that I think all is rosey before anyone starts.
The traveling Gulls, respect to everyone one of them, pity some of the idiots on here havnt got that support in them.

" My two sons are at the game and say that we won't score if we stay there till Xmas. " Usual garbage. Ignore him he will be off to St James park hopefully. Its not Xmas as far as I can tell and we scored 2.
TUST MEMBER
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Or perhaps you and Scott might contribute to the player fund then? - Would you both like to enlighten us as to how much you have contributed?

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
I will take Dave Thomas's assessment that we were never in the game, completely lacked any quality ,had no threat up front and need a couple of decent defenders at the back, but I admire your blind optimism.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

YOU DONT KNOW WHAT I HAVE CONTRIBUTED YOU IDIOT
TUST MEMBER
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

On way home. Can't believe we nearly pinched a point because at 3-0 we looked dead and buried. I couldn't see us scoring as up until Hurst's strike we hadn't had a single shot on target. MacDonald headed against the post but that was the only memorable chance and the first thing Poke had to do all afternoon was pick the ball out of his net after Hurst side-footed in Butler's corner from the edge of the six-yard box. Then Fisher flicked in a trademark Ex throw to set up a frantic finish and with the last kick of the game, Briscoe poked a volley over after another throw-in caused carnage inside the Eastleigh area.

We didn't deserve anything though, because we were very poor for 80 minutes. Eastleigh never really got out of first gear but controlled the match and were clinical in the final third. Their first goal came when Hurst was caught out of position and a cut-back into our box was tucked away neatly. Ex was beaten in the air by Constable which helped set up the second. The initial shot was blocked by MacDonald but we were slow to the loose ball, which was stroked past a helpless Spiess. The third was a lovely free-kick straight into the corner after Ex fouled the pesky Constable. I can't actually recall any other Eastleigh chances apart from the ones they scored but they were the better team.

I think Cox got his team selection wrong today. Fisher should have started. I can understand Marsh being given the nod as he was lively when he came on against Cheltenham but Quigley should have made way. I don't think Quigley and Carmichael deserve to start every game so if that's part of the loan agreement then I wouldn't extend it. They just don't contribute enough for me.

If we need to cut the budget to bring in other players then I'd be happy to see Briscoe go. He's probably one of our highest earners and isn't worth the money he's on. Not fit enough, too many niggles and we now have Fairhurst who can play in the hole. Wasn't too impressed with Heslop. We miss Young badly because none of the other midfielders are capable of creating chances from open play. We only look like scoring from a corner or throw.

Ex's throw is a huge weapon but he struggled defensively today. He also looks knackered in the second half of games and needs to improve his fitness. Our wing-backs did quite well going forward and look our biggest attacking threats (throw-ins aside) but Hurst especially leaves acres of space which Eastleigh exploited today. We did score from a Butler corner but there were more bad corners than good ones.

Stand-out players today were Smith and Richards. Smith is our best defender and proves size doesn't matter. Reads the game well and has a bright future. Richards never stopped running and constantly broke up play. Kept it simple in possession - just a shame that - like his fellow fit midfielders - he doesn't have that killer final ball.

I would like to see the team that finished today's match start the next one, possibly with the exception of Fairhurst for Briscoe if fit. Lavelle-Moore looks to have something about him and Fisher should be recalled immediately.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

brucie wrote:Or perhaps you and Scott might contribute to the player fund then? - Would you both like to enlighten us as to how much you have contributed?

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
I will take Dave Thomas's assessment that we were never in the game, completely lacked any quality ,had no threat up front and need a couple of decent defenders at the back, but I admire your blind optimism.
£20 a month.
You?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Yep, no threat up front at all. Must have both been own goals then...........

You're even more out of touch than I thought.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

neal - I wasn't talking to you actually. I do worry that Cox seems to play the two loanees every game. Fisher with Richards were the only two who came out of very game with credit. Quigley is slower than a carthorse.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Well, with the money you are putting in to the fund Terry, we may be able to buy them.

You ARE putting money in I take it....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by york_gull »

First post on here....

Firstly, I thought Richards put a real shift in for the team today, chased the opposition all over the park. One of the only players that can be happy with their performance.

James hurst on the other hand was all over the place, apart from the goal he was awful. But unfortunately he was up against 2 very experienced players in Harding and cook who exploited this.

Out delivery at set pieces was dreadful, butler struggled to clear the first man majority of the time, and defensively at set pieces we were poor. No one seems to take charge and organise the back line at free kicks, players seem to take up whatever position they like.

Positives I thought second half we came out with more desire, worked harder as a team. It was also good to see when we went 3-0 down the team still fought. Fisher came on and offered more and good poachers goal.

I understand our budget is tight, we can't afford or attract the higher standard of player, but we really need someone to stand up and be a leader on the pitch especially with a team of such young and inexperienced players.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have seen the 3 home games Macclesfield,Woking and Cheltenham plus Newport and Argyle in Pre Season.

These are my positives.

Butler and Hurst are excellent at this level.

Angus is a solid performer if a little hot headed. Angus please don't argue with the ref he will NOT change his mind!

Courtney Richards is really involved in midfield and will improve the more he plays. Very keen to do well.

Alex Fisher 3 goals in 7 games has done really well.

Nathan Smith reads the game well and is a real star in the making.

Tyrone Marsh proved on saturday that he is worth a start and I prefer him to Quigley.

As Gulliball says we have played 4 of the top 6 and 4 out of 7 away.

By 26th Sept Paul Cox will know for sure (13 games played) who cuts it in this League and who does not.

I have a lot of faith in Paul Cox. He is a realist and he will get results .

I have just one negative.We all know what that is!!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We wont be able to buy anyone with what I am contributing but yes I am.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

isnt ex really a midfielder, my posh mate says he played there a lot of the time while he was at london road, everyone just assumes because he's massive that he has to be a central defender
still keeping the faith