Eastleigh FC v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Eastleigh FC v Torquay United

Post by Dave »

August finally draws to a close, yesterday saw us play Cheltenham Town in our final home game of the month, there can be no doubting it was a poor day all round, there is no time to dwell on yesterday, and I'm glad to see Paul Cox certainly isn't, no excuses from the manager and we all have to move on quickly, as it's back in coach tomorrow for what is for us, the relatively short trip to the Silver lake stadium home of Eastleigh FC, and a meet up with another ex gull, in the form of Michael Poke.

Eastleigh have financial backing that we can only dream of right now, taken over by the Bridle insurance group in early 2012, a five year plan to get their stadium up to football league standard leading to promotion eventually into the football league was launched, so far The Spitfires are on course to achieve their goals . Eastleigh FC were many fans favourites to gain promotion in their first season after to promotion to the NL premier division last term, however a late season dip in home form would cost them dear, Eastleigh are clearly a progressive football club, many will say the adventure they're on is unsustainable, however, if the foundations are laid correctly and house built to standard on top, why shouldn't their clubs progression be sustainable, only the lack of a fan base could hold them back in the future.

For Gulls fan attending the match

The silver lake stadium, Eastleigh, SO50 9HT; http://www.eastleighfc.com/tickets/getting-here/ ; Please be advised, due their S.A.G and police advise all games at Eastleigh are now segregated, as such we can no longer use their social club, situated inside the ground, all gulls fans will need to enter the ground via gates 10, 11. Eastleigh recommend the cricketers pub about 5-10 minutes walk away, and where I believe most gulls fans will meet.
I am going to the match and have 3 spare seats if anyone wants to go and is struggling to get there, send me a PM.

Featured Eastleigh FC player

Andy Drury;born 28th November, Sittingbourne, position; winger/attacking midfielder Andy Drury started his career with his home town club Sittingbourne in 2001, between 2001-11 Andy had a good non-league career making over 300 appearances for Sittingbourne, Ebbsfleet , Lewes, Stevenage and Luton Town, however in 2009 Andy would win his first major silverware, winning both the F.A.T and the conference title with Stevenage Borough. The first big move came for Andy Drury in 2011, Ipswich Town paid a reported £150,000 for Andy, who went on to make 62 appearances for the championship club, after his release for Ipswich Drury moved to Crawley Town 2013 after he'd previously been their on loan, 2014 saw Drury re-sign for Luton another £100,000 fee was paid for his services, but Drury would fail to resettle at Luton and joined Eastleigh in the summer, his career appears to have tailed off of late, but still player with a good pedigree.

Eastleigh top goal scorers

Constable 5
Strevens 2
Cook,Turley,Reason,Lafayette all with 1 goal each

Current form

Eastleigh FC ; W-D-D-W-W

11 Aug Eastleigh 1-0 Boreham Wood
15 Aug Eastleigh 1-1 Lincoln City
18 Aug Welling Utd 2-2 Eastleigh
22 Aug Eastleigh 1-0 Macclesfield
29 Aug Aldershot T 1-2 Eastleigh

Last time out

Aldershot 1 v 2 Eastleigh

19 Poke
02 Partington
05 Turley
10 Reason Booked (Cook - 77' )
20 Harding
06 Reid
14 Strevens (Payne - 67' )
18 Drury Booked
12 Midson
11 Lafayette (Odubade - 67' )
09 Constable

Substitutes
03 Green
04 Evans
07 Odubade
08 Payne
17 Cook

From a Torquay point of view

Yesterdays performance against Cheltenham was frustrating, to be fair it's the first time we saw a performance that lacked energy and commitment, we can go on about the goalkeeper all we like, Spiess did not lose the game all on his own, concede that much possession, expect the defence to come under extreme pressure, the back line under that much pressure will make mistakes, a back four make that many mistakes will leave the goalkeeper exposed who will in turn have a job to keep the ball out of the net, a bad day all round, but as said, move on and quickly.

Our team to date have shown they are capable of upsetting odds, unfortunately they also shown they're capable of producing a horror show as well, Eastleigh away is another game where our team will have to upset the odds, play to level and standard above our capabilities to get something out of the game, however we've done it this season already and we can do it again, judging by posts made around the forums and social media, there will be a fair few TUFC fans at the game, would be nice to turn this into a virtual home match, and a repeat of Grimsby away first half through out tomorrow, would be just what the doctor ordered.

Torquay United top goal scorers

Fisher 2
Hurst, Carmicheal, MacDonald, Quigley 1

Current form

Torquay United; L-W-L-D-L

11 Aug Wrexham 3-1 Torquay Utd
15 Aug Halifax Town 2-3 Torquay Utd
18 Aug Torquay Utd 0-1 Woking
22 Aug Grimsby 2-2 Torquay Utd
29 Aug Torquay Utd 0-3 Cheltenham

Last time out

Torquay 0 v 3 Cheltenham

01 Spiess
16 Richards
05 MacDonald
18 Smith Booked (Murombedzi - 46' )
12 Carmichael
22 Quigley (Marsh - 70' )
03 Butler
26 Heslop (Briscoe - 46' )
02 Hurst
17 Fisher
06 Geohaghon Booked

Substitutes
04 Fenwick
07 Briscoe
10 Marsh
11 Murombedzi
23 Richards

Angry Paul Cox' view point on the Cheltenham game

"Myself and the players owe our supporters an apology," said Cox. "It's a performance and a result that brings everyone back down to Earth.

"I think it shows where we are."

And Cox baulked at the suggestion that Cheltenham's second goal came from a piece of 'bad sportsmanship'!

"I'm not having that," he said. "I want my team to learn how to win and to win sometimes you have got to 'play the game'.

"Cheltenham had certain bits about them that we haven't got. They had a game-plan, they were strong and organised, and don't forget they had 10 men for 80 minutes.

"I thought in some parts of the pitch we got bullied.

"Like I have just said to the players, I am going to have to make some big decisions now, because I can't afford to hang around and wait for people to learn this game.

"This is a big boys' league full of big boys and big teams, and I am not accepting that."

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... z3kHxVXTsx

Last meeting

14-2-2015; Eastleigh 1-2 Torquay United

Head to Head

Torquay 2 wins from previous meetings.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

As the Manager implies, we are bumping along and bumping along near the bottom now. This will continue at Eastleigh, where the final score will be:

Eastleigh (3) 6
TUFC (0) 1

Att: 2,009.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Eastleigh haven't lost yet this season but they are not winning their games convincingly. Geoghaghon will have an easier game tomorrow as he will be marking Constable who is not noted for his speed. That should be an interesting contest. A tough game but we all know football is such an unpredictable game (who would have predicted West Ham beating Liverpool and Crystal Palace beating Chelsea yesterday?). So who knows? Yesterday's game is gone - onwards to tomorrow.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

as we are so unpredictable at the moment im going for a 1-1 draw, 1900 crowd, 200 from torquay.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

ROADRUNNER wrote:as we are so unpredictable at the moment im going for a 1-1 draw, 1900 crowd, 200 from torquay.
What the odds on poke scoring .... :lol:
Lucy
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

lucy6lucy wrote: What the odds on poke scoring .... :lol:

Hahahha good one, good chance he will - but that's football.

Im going, pint, pie and no expectations. So I will enjoy it whatever. For this season Im just pleased we still have a club.
TUST MEMBER
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Neal wrote:
Hahahha good one, good chance he will - but that's football.

Im going, pint, pie and no expectations. So I will enjoy it whatever. For this season Im just pleased we still have a club.

This.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
FishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Downes

Post by FishGull »

Does anyone know the times for the coach travel tomorrow? I can't find it anywhere
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

FishGull wrote:Does anyone know the times for the coach travel tomorrow? I can't find it anywhere

On the main forum....

http://www.torquayfans.com/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=8272
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Torquay United

01 Spiess
18 Smith
06 Geohaghon
26 Heslop
02 Hurst
03 Butler
05 MacDonald
12 Carmichael
16 Richards
10 Marsh
22 Quigley

Substitutes

07 Briscoe
11 Murombedzi
17 Fisher
23 Richards
24 Lavelle-Moore

tough game after saturdays lessons, hopefully we'll not conceded three again but fully expecting a defeat, hopefully just a narrow one, 1-0 constable, 89 gulls
still keeping the faith
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Good sound to the away support, fair play to them.

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I've always rated constable, like his work ethic during a match.
Have a horrible feeling he'll know just what to do today to our back line.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

jesus h, we're behind already!!
still keeping the faith
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Oh dear 1 - 0 already!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

wow
The gulls are going up
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

commentary here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_devon

Added in 14 minutes 48 seconds:
we're making all the noise still, doesnt sound like we're doing too badly considering what we're up against

Added in 1 minute 46 seconds:
some awful sounding balls being played forward when we're breaking
Last edited by bixieupnorth on 31 Aug 2015, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
still keeping the faith