Eastleigh FC v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Luckily you were turned down in the summer

In Cox We Trust

:keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

brucie wrote:So what happens when we played Rice all season? - he kept repeating the same mistakes time and time again and costing us points. Whoever is the best goalkeeper is irrelevant. This team is not good enough to give cheap goals away, hence its even more important that we don't give up goals to goalkeeping howlers week in week out, otherwise the outcome will be most probably relegation.

Surely you can see the difference? Speiss has had seven games, where Rice had a good few years to show his (limited) potential.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

arcadia wrote:As I've said before goalkeepers have been a big part of my life and Lavercombe shapes up and uses his feet to crosses which a lot of keepers don't. Spiess is a good keeper as well but if I had a choice of picking one to play for me it would be Lavercombe. Thommo said keepers are a different breed and are confident of their ability I have been through all that and I am confident in spotting talent in the same way.
Spiess has been at fault for several goals this season but yes has made saves and surprised me but I'm confident that Lavercombe would have done the same he's not peoples champion he's the better keeper.
You say 1 poor game in 7 you can't have watched all the games. I don't want to knock any ones opinion but now you know mine but I think a few supporters have blinkers on. When a keeper makes a mistake he can't put it right no matter how many saves he makes.
It's over now said and done.
Yes it is my opinion and to me it counts.
That's a perfectly valid opinion and one you're entitled to hold. Just to repeat and it's getting tad boring now, we've played 7 league games, I've been to 4 of them, all home and Eastleigh away.

The problem here is, your good self, Brucie and a few others are completely and totally missing the point. It has absolutely nothing to do with who, whether it be Spiess or Lavercombe is the better goalkeeper, it really doesn't.

The point here is Paul Cox and his coaching staff have made a decision, that decision was to hand Spiess the no 1 shirt, and Spiess to start the season as our no 1 keeper, if you are the manager you claim to be, then you'll know that 7 games is no basis to make a judgement or drop a player from the team, you'll know that such a decision is not black and white or a simple one to make, it could be gamble that might end up with two keepers with their confidence in the dog toilet.

Two scenarios, one, Lavercombe comes in for Spiess plays a blinder and maintains that form, fantastic problem solved, two, Lavercombe comes in we lose thanks to a Lavercombe howler, what does PC do then, he's as good as told Spiess he doesn't trust him and Lavercombe's confidence is shot to shat as well.

You only have to look at Gulliball's excellent motm threads, Spiess was forum man of the match for Wrexham away, he's received votes from fans for other games too. We beat Macclesfield 1.0 at home, lost by 1 goal to Woking which only a moronic dip shat would blame Spiess for, I've read more than enough match reports for the away games I haven't seen, that's why I can clearly say and there's plenty evidence to prove beyond doubt that Spiess has had only 1 bad game, no grounds to drop him from the side.

If Spiess starts to under perform consistently over the next number of games, then indeed make the change, for pity sake, lets give the lad a chance, after all he is our player, jeez.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Southampton Gull wrote:Luckily you were turned down in the summer

In Cox We Trust

:keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie:
You could have told me that when you spoke to me the other week.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote:So what happens when we played Rice all season? - he kept repeating the same mistakes time and time again and costing us points. Whoever is the best goalkeeper is irrelevant. This team is not good enough to give cheap goals away, hence its even more important that we don't give up goals to goalkeeping howlers week in week out, otherwise the outcome will be most probably relegation.
Totally agree, but the fix isn't that easy, Lavercombe, may or may not be the answer. What I do know is, should Paul Cox find himself in a position where significantly more money became available he (PC) will no doubt bring in a more experienced keeper who is more likely to be the answer than the two keepers we have currently.

But there lies the problem, we've been spoilt in the past some great keepers, right now our club can't afford any of them.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I thought Speiss was at fault for the third, he must have been a metre away from touching the free kick and should have organised the wall better. That said, he looked more than capable to me and he's also plenty brave enough when it comes to getting down amongst the flying boots.

He's a young keeper and any decent judge of that position will understand that young keepers lack consistency. That is improved with experience, not by being dropped for the occasional mistake.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com