Torquay United v Cheltenham Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

My first proper game of the season.

Beaten by a better side in Cheltenham who looked like real promotion contenders. Speiss the real villain for me today. At fault for all three of their goals. On that showing Lavercombe is a better keeper. Hope Cox has the balls to admit he may have got that decision wrong. Thought we were unlucky to lose 3-0 but at no point did we look like winning the game and Cheltenham fully deserved their win. Lots to ponder for Cox, need a response at Eastleigh and then a winnable home game against Guisely.

It's going to be a long and topsy-turvy season. Young players cobbled together on a tiny budget at the last minute. We need to be patient and accept that we will have days like this. Onwards. COYY.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Doesn't matter whether you're 9 or 10 v 11, your team defends like that, they will lose the game. To concede four 1 v 1's against your goalkeeper is schoolboy stuff at best, don't think Spiess covered himself any glory on the first, but can't blame him for the second or the penalty, just left hopelessly exposed.

We said before the start of the season a mid table finish was at best what we could expect, the club is in transition right now, there's going to highs, and a few more lows along the way, forget today and move on.

To pick up on a point made above, it is not in anyway about being rose tinted or dark sided or anything else right now, it's about our fan base pulling their heads out of their back sides and realizing where our club is right now, our clubs future is not guaranteed, where is the passion, it's going to be tough for the next 2-3 years, however if the gates slip below 1800 there might not be a 3 years down the line, if the gates were up around 2500 the board would probably release so more money for PC to bring in better players.

So stick with it, and, please no more you wear rose tinted specs.
Formerly known as forevertufc
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Agree forever but you definitely can blame Speiss for the second. He cleared it straight to their player who gave it to their number 9. Then he failed to hold on to the ball when he dived at his feet. Schoolboy stuff.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

we offered nothing, poor poor poor, on that showing we will get stuffed at eastliegh, also officals were as bad as us. sad day. :(
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

drummergull90 wrote:Agree forever but you definitely can blame Speiss for the second. He cleared it straight to their player who gave it to their number 9. Then he failed to hold on to the ball when he dived at his feet. Schoolboy stuff.
I accept that, he certainly can not be blamed for giving away the penalty though, a goalkeeper at this level should not be facing that many 1 v 1's and to be fair he saved two of them, Spiess has up to now been very solid in goal, however with the level of defending in front of him today, no real surprise he had an off day, think most keepers at this level would.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Speiss was appalling - the WORST keeper we have had since Mark Coombe (Wivelgull will know what standard that makes him) - this has nothing to do with consistency, we were nothing short of pathetic. 82 minutes against ten men?
The eggheaded twerp in charge was equally as bad as we were. Sent their player off and spent the rest of the match apologising to them as he gave them everything and missed a cast iron foul for their second goal as our defender was blatantly pulled back.
When you see the ref walking off at half time and shaking the hands of the opposition player you have to wonder. That sort of conduct isn't on from the match official and he should be called to account for it.
Geugen - this bloke just cannot move - awful. Quigley - made Downes look like Usain Bolt.
My first game since the Wrexham trophy humiliation and it was worse.
Totally and utterly depressed with that.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

By that logic, Martin Rice must be better than Spiess.
TUST number 080
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

brucie wrote:Speiss was appalling - the WORST keeper we have had since Mark Coombe (Wivelgull will know what standard that makes him) - this has nothing to do with consistency, we were nothing short of pathetic. 82 minutes against ten men?
The eggheaded twerp in charge was equally as bad as we were. Sent their player off and spent the rest of the match apologising to them as he gave them everything and missed a cast iron foul for their second goal as our defender was blatantly pulled back.
When you see the ref walking off at half time and shaking the hands of the opposition player you have to wonder. That sort of conduct isn't on from the match official and he should be called to account for it.
Geugen - this bloke just cannot move - awful. Quigley - made Downes look like Usain Bolt.
My first game since the Wrexham trophy humiliation and it was worse.
Totally and utterly depressed with that.
Ohh please Brucie. if you are going to critisise. pPlease dont blame players who left last season :lol: knowing your reputation on here it makes you look a right plonker
Last edited by Glostergull on 29 Aug 2015, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well I am pleased Paul Cox has not minced his words after today's display.

Spiess had a shocker and I will be hugely disappointed if Ben Lavercombe is not in goal at Eastleigh.

I cannot understand what people see in Joe Quigley. Tyrone Marsh is a much better player and will score goals given some service from midfield.

Cheltenham look a good side with a Manager with vast experience. I may have a bet on them getting promoted straight back into the Football League.

I know we have a young side but we really need to man up if we are to compete with teams like Cheltenham.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I have to agree on some posts regarding speiss I thought he was at fault for at least 2 of the goals he was also at fault for grimsby ,s first goal which resulted in us losing 2 points to be fair up till then he has played well but do we stick with him or try someone else?
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

When the game was under way I thought Cheltenham were the stronger and more organised team especially after the sending off. I thought in the first half no player played really badly as individuals but as a team we were below par. Paul Cox made two subs at half time and changed the formation taking off Smith one of our better players and Heslop. I thought that Briscoe should have played more central as we had pace in there but no strength playing him wide was a mistake.
We let in bad goals but they have been coming as our Keeper has been suspect on crosses on several occasions this season and I hope that Paul Cox can see this. He was at fault for two goals and may be the third not off his line quick enough although it was not a penalty.

When you look back at the game the defeat was of our own making we knew Downes was a threat from set pieces and we gave numerous free kicks away in dangerous positions. Who was marking Downes? and our keeper came and missed the cross. It's problems to work on during the week and perhaps the players did but the defensive line was not high enough when the free kick was taken.

I thought Rob Dickie was outstanding for Cheltenham very strong for a youngster.
Thought Downes looked fitter (leaner) and played well.
Last edited by arcadia on 29 Aug 2015, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It had nothing to do with the marking. When your keeper runs out past the six yard box misses the ball completely - it hits Downes on the head and bounces into the empty net with Speiss still charging out somewhere towards the half way line then that's kamikaze keeping. Speiss then got lucky when failing to catch the ball under pressure from their forward (much like the error he made for Bristol rovers against us) with that being pulled up for a dubious foul.
He then booted the ball straight to their player before making a pigs ear of gathering the ball for their second. He then came charging out of his goal leaving their forward with an easy lob into an empty net (which their player failed to convert).
He went down too early when conceding the penalty and then dived to one side of the goal before the penalty taker was anywhere near the ball leaving their player to roll it into the net - useless goalkeeping.
I agree that Marsh looked ten times better than Quigley. Fisher did ok and Richards rightfully got mom - didn't think anything of the other two midfielders.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Thought we were very poor today - we were given a free hit after only 7 minutes by a ludicrous referee decision but we were too incompetent to take advantage.

My particular concern was the conceding of three goals to a 10 man opposition whilst playing three centre halves.

We seem to have found another Martin Rice in goal and a totally blunt attack force - we had, I counted, 11 shots on target but failed to seriously trouble their keeper who was a good as Speiss was poor. It was predictable that Downes would put in a commanding performance - totally secure at the back and dangerous at set pieces. Again the contrast with Geoghan was instructive.

Felt sorry for Richards again. I really think he is starting to recover the form which Hargreaves destroyed when he played him at centre back against Alfreton last season.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote:It had nothing to do with the marking. When your keeper runs out past the six yard box misses the ball completely - it hits Downes on the head and bounces into the empty net with Speiss still charging out somewhere towards the half way line then that's kamikaze keeping. Speiss then got lucky when failing to catch the ball under pressure from their forward (much like the error he made for Bristol rovers against us) with that being pulled up for a dubious foul.
He then booted the ball straight to their player before making a pigs ear of gathering the ball for their second. He then came charging out of his goal leaving their forward with an easy lob into an empty net (which their player failed to convert).
He went down too early when conceding the penalty and then dived to one side of the goal before the penalty taker was anywhere near the ball leaving their player to roll it into the net - useless goalkeeping.
I agree that Marsh looked ten times better than Quigley. Fisher did ok and Richards rightfully got mom - didn't think anything of the other two midfielders.
If the line had held higher Speiss would not have had to commit himself and had a chance on his line and the marker would have stopped Downes run this goal cost us the game as we lost confidence.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Sorry but today's 'performance' was shocking - we were terrible only marginally better than the previous home game against Woking as at least there were some shots on target. But to play 80 minutes against 10 men and lose 0-3 is dire.
If the previous management were still in charge there would be a major rebellion. Just what is going to happen? The only comfort tonight is to say 'at least we still have a team to support'.
It's embarrassing to admit being a TUFC supporter.