Torquay United v Cheltenham Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Just want to say I agree with Paul Cox we are doing well in games and the lads don't have to be afraid of anyone the only thing is as he points out we need to keep our performances going over 90mins and I am sure we will gain more points than we lose COYY
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

We're going to win 4-0! Fisher 2 Quig 2 :goal: :goal: :goal: :goal: :scarf:
To the dotted line, We're on our way
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I am going. 3-1 to United before 2450 as Cheltenham should bring 450.

Quigley, Fisher and Marsh on as sub.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Aaron Downes on facing his old club, I'm sure he'll get a good reception from us tomorrow.

http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/chelte ... 52833.aspx
Formerly known as forevertufc
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

forevertufc wrote:Aaron Downes on facing his old club, I'm sure he'll get a good reception from us tomorrow.

http://www.ctfc.com/news/article/chelte ... 52833.aspx
Apparently Dowmes played for Brighton last year. Bloody seagulls indeed.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

3-1
0-1 at HT
3 goals in last 20 mins!
Go gulls
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Doesn't sound like the greatest of starts (from BBC text commentary anyway), but hopefully playing against 10 men for so long will work in our favour
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

And Downes puts Cheltenham in front. Typical.
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Downes scoring was a nailed on dead cert.

Any of our XI ex Cheltenham!

BBC stats look like we are shading it - extra man will tell in final 20 mins

Good game to win for a young team

COYY
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Balls
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Bad day at the office, something wasn't right today. A poor defensive performance by us and we couldn't break down a good Cheltenham defence. Their keeper and Downes were on top form. Not our problem though, we can't put the ball in the back of the net, all we can do is turn up to games and get behind the lads! We're going to be very inconsistent this season and we're not a team who will be fighting for a play-off position, we're a mid-table Conference side at the moment, but the whole club is going through a working progress scheme, this will all take time to perfect.

Brush ourselves down, learn from the mistakes and bring on Eastleigh on Monday! COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Brucie was the only one not wearing rose tinted spectacles.........

Playing against 10 men for 80 minutes should have led to a Torquay victory but Cheltenham were far too good and we posed very little threat to their goal. I dont think any player played badly, we were just beaten by a much better team.

On to Eastleigh.......
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I don't think they were much better but we seemed to make the wrong decisions. Too many attempts at Hollywood passes when keeping the ball and keeping it moving until the spaces appeared would have been better. To be fair to Cox I think he was going for that approach with his subs but the changes had barely been effected when the second goal was scored.
TUST number 080
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

I am enjoying this season,we are where we all said we would be,lower mid table,we are a young side and will will win some and loose a few more but the team will learn as the season progresses, what we don't need is negative comments and doom and gloom.A few weeks ago we nearly did not have a team to follow ,now we have and it has potential to grow what it needs is our support ,vocally and monetary.The reason I am enjoying the season is that I have no expectations,now next season might be different.
trissyjp
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by trissyjp »

My first time in Bristow's Bench today, and a magnificent place to watch an entertaining game of competitive football. Torquay were competitive for the fist seven minutes only. A fifty fifty challenge in which Carmichel overstretched for a ball and their player caught him late. From the bench it did not look like a sending off, but off went their man. After that the game moved at more of a pedestrian pace. Cheltenham scored from a well worked free kick and on possession and tempo deserved the lead. The feeling was though that Torquay sooner or later would sort it out with the numerical advantage. The opposite happened. Cheltenham tempo increased and they could have easily had five goals today. They were organised and compact without being outstanding.

The positioning of our players was awful. For long passages of play with numerical advantage Torquay were playing the spectacular pass from McDonald through to Fisher, by-passing the whole midfield. They never utilised the width pinging it from right to left as should be with numerical advantage. They never pushed up in midfield playing tappy football using the numbers.

The tempo Torquay played with was very much 'pre-season,' few players appeared to be playing as part of a team and there were too many passengers. The exceptions were Richards, McDonald, Butler and Smith who was taken off at half time for tactical reasons I presume. Richards was getting stuck in everywhere on the park, clearly frustrated at the hospital passes of his team mates. Butler had some good crosses and his positioning (and effort) in attack and defense was so much better than his other half in Hurst, McDonald tried to do the job of more than one player being pulled out of position frequently.

Exodus to me did not look 'with-it.' Captain material today, he was not. Looking down, little communication and as a footballer offered nothing. He should have been subbed in the second half as apart from his throw, which he took two from memory, offered little in terms of uplifting spirit or football. He made no effort to make it disgusting that's for sure and time and time again was out of position asking the impossible of his team mates.

All in all a dismal team performance and I only hope that we play with 11 men more often. I hope bollockings happen and wholesale changes are made for the next game. I would replace Speiss with Lavercombe. Speis was at fault for their second goal and the penalty. Give a chance to Odofin either starting or from the bench. He is ours, lets give him a chance. Is Malachi still with us....? If so lets give him a try please the little we have seen of him, his passing is good, he appears to have positional play, he can head the ball and passing and positional sense alone he should be in the team. Positioning of players today was fundamentally awful.

Special mention today to Aaron Downes. Fully deserved his goal and teams win. Lead by example, that's one area we did not have today.

The real losers today were the fans. People won't pay good money to watch that slop. Bad day at the office indeed. Awful day,