Torquay United v Cheltenham Town

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

My God were we poor.

Speiss getting a 2/10 would be generous - at fault for all 3 goals.

Only Courtney Richards can say he played as well as he could out of all those playing today - I thought he was terrific.

Marsh and Sheppard at least had a go when they came on, and Briscoe showed glimpses.

The rest barely even deserve a mention.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Shocking for me - as I say I havn't been since we lost to Wrexham in the Trophy. Like most supporters I realise that we have no money and our doing the best with what we have, but even so surely the least we should expect is to field a keeper better than Western League Standard. Losing 3-0 at home against a team with ten men for all but eight minutes is a disgrace.
Suggesting that we did so because Cheltenham were a great side is just nonsense - they were lucky to beat Barrow at home last week.
1800 home fans today - really poor considering we havn't done too badly.
The worry is that much more of that and we will be playing in front of 1200 pretty soon.
Unfortunately we cannot now compete with the likes of Forest Green and Eastleigh which for a club of our size is depressing.
The sad fact is that unless we can magic up a chairman worth about 90 million then we are not going to break the cycle.
Danny or whoever who said that the supporters should get off their arses and support the team means well but it isn't realistic - there is no chance of 2500 home supporters turning up to watch a struggling team.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

So many idiots who haven't been to any of the other games this season making snap judgement on players who have been good. :rofl:

I very much hope that none of you are in management (football or otherwise), our defence has a poor game after being together around a month, having been cobbled together from the best we could get on a budget, and it's wholesale change time? Navas wept.

EDIT: AND all of this against a team who, by all accounts, were brilliant and look to be promotion contenders.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

madgull wrote:So many idiots who haven't been to any of the other games this season making snap judgement on players who have been good. :rofl:

I very much hope that none of you are in management (football or otherwise), our defence has a poor game after being together around a month, having been cobbled together from the best we could get on a budget, and it's wholesale change time? Navas wept.

EDIT: AND all of this against a team who, by all accounts, were brilliant and look to be promotion contenders.

:goodpost: Totally agree.

As a general point. How some can blame spies for giving away the penalty is beyond me, keeper is left exposed to a 1 v 1 by some criminally shite defending, the striker is favourite every time, Spiess commits to try and stop the bloke scoring and sadly gets it wrong, but it's his fault anyway, forgive the numpty in front of him who screwed it up in the first place.

Spiess by all accounts let in a poor goal at Grimsby, and did have a poor game yesterday, prior to that has been faultless, but here we go again right back into the Rice situation, as fans when are we going to learn to support our own players rather than booing them, yes Cox could have played Lavercombe yesterday, the key point that some can't, or for their need to try and wind other fans up will not see is, yesterday was all about insanely poor defending, Lavercombe is not some super, wonder boy, would he have made the same errors as Spiess, maybe, maybe not, would Lavercombe have made some errors due to being left that exposed, highly likely.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

brucie wrote:Shocking for me - as I say I havn't been since we lost to Wrexham in the Trophy. Like most supporters I realise that we have no money and our doing the best with what we have, but even so surely the least we should expect is to field a keeper better than Western League Standard. Losing 3-0 at home against a team with ten men for all but eight minutes is a disgrace.
Suggesting that we did so because Cheltenham were a great side is just nonsense - they were lucky to beat Barrow at home last week.
1800 home fans today - really poor considering we havn't done too badly.
The worry is that much more of that and we will be playing in front of 1200 pretty soon.
Unfortunately we cannot now compete with the likes of Forest Green and Eastleigh which for a club of our size is depressing.
The sad fact is that unless we can magic up a chairman worth about 90 million then we are not going to break the cycle.
Danny or whoever who said that the supporters should get off their arses and support the team means well but it isn't realistic - there is no chance of 2500 home supporters turning up to watch a struggling team.
Here we go, back to form. Start of the slagging off.
TUST MEMBER
Charley the Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by Charley the Gull »

I agree with Modgull. Spiess just doesn't command the goal area and is poor taking crosses, so give Lavercombe a chance. Add to that the poor defence and we are bound to leak goals. We have a real gem with Courtney and he is back to much better form after last season's battering of his confidence but where were the rest of the midfield yesterday helping him out? A key to me is that we have no leader but at least yesterday Courtney was shouting and cajoling others. Who is skipper and why do we not see him encouraging and organising what's going on? Give the captaincy to Courtney and tell him to boss the game.

Good point that we are still trying to get the team working together but start playing to feet like Cheltenham did yesterday. It's not all bad but we need a leader on the pitch and to sort the goalie problem out.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We only had 10 men and they had 11 with Speiss.
Even the ref took pity and didn't send him off after conceding the penalty.
Bring back Lavercombe and give the defence some confidence of a goalie with ability.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

A reality check which should now be assigned to history. Straight back at it tomorrow, onwards and upwards. COYY
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

If Speiss (whom I haven't seen) is as bad as the wretched Mark Coombe, then he must be really bad. Brucie is right, though: a Western League player will, eventually, lead to Western League football. Who's top of the Southern league Premier at the moment, by the way? Might be instructive to find out who we could be playing next year.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I am normally supportive of the team.To Madgull and others who feel some criticism of yesterdays performance is unfair I say have you read details of Paul Cox's interview?

Paul himself said "we were embarrassing". He apologised to the fans on behalf of himself and his team.

On the goalkeeper issue Lavercombe may be very inexperienced but he commands his area. Spiess does not.

Lavercombe is tall and very calm for such a young player in a crucial position. Spiess has very little experience just look at his playing record.

Cox is a good Manager and he will know what to do. Changes will be made on Monday.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

brucie wrote:Danny or whoever who said that the supporters should get off their arses and support the team means well but it isn't realistic - there is no chance of 2500 home supporters turning up to watch a struggling team.
Never said 2,500 will turn up to watch a struggling team, I was simply stating the fact that TUFC was days away from not even existing. We are a new club, with a new board, with a new manager, with a new team and we're not even out of August. We will be very inconsistent this season, this'll be a huge working progress to get us out of the Conference. There's no denying that we were terrible yesterday, but we cannot do anything about the performance, that's Paul Cox's and the team's problem. Standing on the terraces shouting abuse at the players, really does not help. All we can do is get behind the lads, win, lose, or draw.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Portugull. No one is complaining about the criticism of yesterdays performance, if you read all posts, we actually all agree on the performance yesterday, it was embarrassing.

What some of us are reacting to is the criticism of certain players from posters who've only seem the play once. Yes, put Lavercombe in on Monday, say we lose 5.0 , what do we do then, put Spiess back in, he flaps at one v Guisley, so do we then out Lavercombe back in.

Seriously some have such poor memories, no one was comnplaining when Speiss made raft of top saves Macclesfield, yes Spiess won us that game with his saves, how many saves did he make v FC Halifax, we got to get over this bullshit on our goalkeepers, the club has only so much money, if we'd could afford Poke sure we'd have tried to bring him back, sadly we can not.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Why are we having a go at individuals as we are all human and make mistakes we have a very young side and yes we were poor against Cheltenham however if we start slagging players off some of the younger ones IMO will go into their shells and we will be worse off so let's get behind the team my only disappointment is that when we have played well in games we have passed the ball through midfield but a lot of the time we go long and bypass the midfield so the midfield can't get involved so that might need to be looked at.But please please let's get behind the lads I am sure they want to be successful for our club COYY
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

wivelgull wrote:If Speiss (whom I haven't seen) is as bad as the wretched Mark Coombe, then he must be really bad. Brucie is right, though: a Western League player will, eventually, lead to Western League football. Who's top of the Southern league Premier at the moment, by the way? Might be instructive to find out who we could be playing next year.
Utter nonsense, you scuppered you own argument in the first few words. Speiss is not as bad as Combe (I saw that match although I don't profess to be an old git) and is better than Rice. This was a bad result in the context of a reasonable start, lets see how they respond. The kind is nonsense that you and Brucie so easily spout at the earliest opportunity only serves to create a negative atmosphere that helps nobody.
TUST number 080
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Woah. Some people need to take a step back and think for a second.
We always knew this was going to be a tough season. With a new board, new management team and new squad of players we all knew we were going to have good times and bad. Yesterday was a bad day at the office but that's all it was and we knew these days were going to happen.
Like a said earlier, yesterday was a reality check. We'll learn from it and continue moving forward. Luckily the next day is tomorrow so the player get to go out and put things right straight away.
No need for throwing the baby out with the bathwater just yet.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084