Grimsby Town v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Grimsby Town v Torquay United

Post by Dave »

I'm maybe, starting to sound a bit like a broken record here, but our tough start to the season continues, the young Gulls are now four games into a hectic and punishing seven game schedule which applies to all teams in this division. Tuesday night saw us come up against one of the top teams from last season, a match shrouded in controversy which will stick in the throat for a while no doubt, the club, management, players and us fans alike have to recover quickly, put that to the back of our collective minds, as Saturday, it's back in the coach and up north again, to Blundell Park, home of Grimsby Town FC.

Grimsby Town are yet again proof of just how difficult it can be for former football league clubs to get out of this division, The Mariners have a proud history and competed at the level now known as the Championship, a well supported club and up there with the biggest clubs ever to lose their football league status, The Mariners are no strangers to heart break during their stay at this level, 2012-13 saw them beaten in the play-off semi final and lose at Wembley in the F.A.T final, 2013-14 once again saw them as beaten play-off semi-finalists, last season Grimsby would fail again this time beaten by Bristol Rovers in the play-off final, Mariners fans will see this season as their turn, their right of passage back into the football league, as Grimsby started this season as early favourites for the NL premier division title.

For Gulls fans attending the match

Blundell Park, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 7PY. http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/fans/vi ... upporters/

Featured Grimsby Town player

Craig Disley; born 24th August 1981, position midfielder, Craig Disley started his career as a youth player at Mansfield, Disley an experienced player who has spent much of his career competing around League one and two, but very rare to find a player at this level with so few clubs, a sign perhaps of a loyal, well respected player at every club he's been at, his career statistics show 141 games for Mansfield, 203 games for Bristol Rovers , 42 games for Shrewsbury, before dropping into the NL premier division on the 23rd June 2011 signing for Grimsby Town, Craig Disley has made 163 appearances for The Mariners to date, and has scored 70 career league goals to date from midfield, still one to watch.

Current form

Grimsby Town D-W-W-L

A) Kidderminster 2.2
H) Barrow 4.1 (W)
H) Bromley 4.1 (W)
A) Altrincham 1.2 (L)

Last time out

Altrincham 2 v 1 Grimsby Town

01 McKeown
02 Tait (Pearson - 90' )
22 Nsiala Booked
08 Disley
23 East
06 Gowling Booked
20 Arnold
16 Clay
11 Monkhouse (Mackreth - 69' )
09 Bogle
10 Amond

Substitutes
03 Robertson
05 Pearson
07 Mackreth
15 Clifton
17 Venney

Grimsby Town manager Paul Hurst told BBC Radio Humberside:

"I think we've let ourselves down a little bit tonight.

"We showed that we were capable of being the better team. I think when we watch it back we will realise we gave them the game with a mistake and a very dubious first goal.

"There's been some harsh words in the dressing room afterwards."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33858247

From a Torquay United point of view

It was a boost again to see both Briscoe and Hurst start the game Tuesday night, and a further boost for Paul Cox to see James Hurst complete the full game Tuesday, going into this game Bayan Fenwick will return from suspension although not sure whether he'll be back in the good books just yet.

Expecting NL premier division clubs to play 7 games in the first month is a big ask, is it something that needs looking at ? yes it's the same for all of us, but whilst this area is nice place to live, and I wouldn't swap it for anywhere else, it does put us at a slight disadvantage having further to travel than most, not helped by having four games away from home in the opening month.

Saturday once again will be tough outing for the Gulls, Grimsby away could rate as the toughest fixture on the 2015-16 calendar in the NL premier division, this isn't meant as criticism or negativity, just a realistic view of where Torquay United and Grimsby Town are right now as football clubs, being honest we're poles apart, again in the spirit of honesty, our chances od getting anything out of this game are going to be slim, but nothing is guaranteed, you can rule nothing in or out in football is we all know, we'd have to upset the odds, but what massive boost for our whole season it would be to come away with a point or better Saturday.

Anyone who reads the one forum http://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index ... otball.39/ will see that Paul Cox and his style of play are not universally popular at this level. If there was ever a time to develop a backs against the wall, Torquay United against the world siege mentality right through he whole club, this coming Saturday is it.

It would be fantastic if as many northern based exiles could join the hardy souls of the travel club, and sing loud and proud for your team , trying to help them bring home the points.

Current form

Torquay United W-L-W-L-

H) Macclesfield 1.0 ( W)
A) Wrexham 1.3 (L)
A) FC Halifax 3.2 (W)
H) Woking 0.1 (L)

Last time out

Torquay United 0 v 1 Woking

01 Speiss
02 Hurst
05 MacDonald
16 Richards
18 Smith
06 Geohaghon
12 Carmichael
07 Briscoe (Marsh - 79' )
22 Quigley (Lavelle-Moore - 93' )
17 Fisher (Heslop - 68' )
03 Butler

Substitutes
10 Marsh
11 Murombedzi
23 Richards
24 Lavelle-Moore
26 Heslop

Reaction to the controversial Woking Match from Paul Cox and Steve Breed

"The fourth official told us the paperwork said 17 – but it said 7.

"All the referee needed to do was show common sense, which is sometimes hard for them, but the whole thing erupted.

"I don't want to say too much regarding the officials because it is usually the manager or officials from the football club that get into trouble.

"At the time I ran up to the halfway line to stop Alex coming off. I actually thought he was coming off for a drink at first.

"I basically caught him as he placed one foot over the line. But the game had not restarted.

"My argument with the fourth official was – whatever the scenario was, if he had made an honest mistake, then just use common sense and rectify it.

"But instead of that, he dug his heels in and stated that the substitution had been made.

"But it was his mistake, not ours, at a time when Briscoe was starting to feel it a little bit and we needed fresh legs on.

"That's the biggest frustration for me on a night that I thought we played well in the first half – and don't think we played as we can do in the second half."

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... story.html

Steve Breed added.

"We do not believe that Paul did anything to merit being sent off and, after listening to what was said at the meeting in the referee's room, we will be appealing the decision and any touchline ban."

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/T ... z3jIYFKnnI

Last Meeting

18-10-2014; Torquay United 2 v 3 Grimsby Town

Head to Head

Grimsby 4 wins, Torquay 3 wins, draws 1
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Working until 1am, getting up at 5.30am to be ready in time to leave at 6.30am...why do I do this to myself? COYY.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:Working until 1am, getting up at 5.30am to be ready in time to leave at 6.30am...why do I do this to myself? COYY.
Either your stark raving bonkers or you love your club. Shall we go for the second option Danny.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

As Forever rightly posts, as football clubs, Grimsby and Torquay are poles apart. But not so long ago, the opposite was the case. We were flying high in Division 2 whilst Grimsby were a once proud club struggling in the wilderness. So it's a crumb of comfort that things can quickly change (for better or worse) in the world of football.

As for Saturday's match, Grimsby have had two thumping home wins against promoted clubs (Bromley and Barrow) but only one point from two away games which you would have expected them to get more from (Kidderminster and Altrincham). There have been several changes at Blundell Park so maybe, just maybe, they aren't quite gelling as a team as yet and we are playing them at a good time - ever the optimist ! In reality, if we get anything from this game it will be a massive bonus but stranger things have happened in football.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

No chance whatsoever. 0-4 defeat.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:No chance whatsoever. 0-4 defeat.
By the way Wivel, you've converted me into a couch Whitby Town supporter ! How did they get on away to Blyth Spartans on Tueaday night, and IF promoted, do they go up to the National North league? We may lose at Grimsby but it won't be such a heavy defeat as you predict. :scarf:
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Tomogull, you are a star! We lost 2-3 at Blyth but they are a good side and the result was always in doubt. We (Whitby) have the best side for some time and many supporters are optimistic about the possibility of promotion (to Conference North).
The down side is that at home (The Turnbull Ground), although well up to Conference North standards, we do not attract good crowds. Only 241 attended the first home game (a 4-0 defeat of Stourbridge). The ground though, while (for example) not as spacious accommodation-wise as Bath City, is far, far superior to Bideford (I don't know if you have been to those grounds).
We won the FA Vase in 1997 and were runners-up in the Amateur Cup final in 1965 (I was there).
I am hoping that Whitby (if we reach the 4th qual rd of the FA Cup and/or the 1st round of the FA Trophy) will draw United. I don't know whom I would support - probably stay neutral.
I miss Plainmoor, though.
Smithy1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Smithy1899 »

Tough game but I'm seeing a 2-1 win :)
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Could have sworn I posted here earlier but here it is again.

Some 90 mins away this is the second closest game of the season for me so both my Dad and I will be in attendance. Missed last year as I was on a stag do, previous to that it was when we won 4-0 (I think) back around 2009, the year Grimsby were relegated we played some amazing football that day, I hope we can do the same again tomorrow.

I don't know which route southern based gulls will take but for us we get to go through the Lincolnshire Wolds which are really rather pleasant.

2-2 With a Fisher brace. COYY!!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

yep. you did ! ^ ^. Bizarre !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

a 1-1 draw, and well done danny for travelling to cleethorpes, ive been up there a couple of times back in the 70s, have a good day out mate, come on you yellows!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Grimsby 7 Torquay 0
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

does your pessimism hurt Brucie ?
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

brucie wrote:Grimsby 7 Torquay 0

Definitely a 7 not 17? ;-)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Ha ha, Kevgull, funny. Blimey you are a gloomy lot. So pessimistic. We will win 1-0 or it will be a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. I would be well on for my 12 points by the end of August if it wasn't for that nob of a ref on Tuesday. I tell you, this Torquay team has grit. There will be no roll overs like last season. Sort the crossing out and we will go up a gear. Well done Danny, a true committed supporter. My last visit to Cleethorpes was in October 1967. Left Paignton Coach Station at 9.30pm on a Wallace Arnold coach - I was aged 14. We were down 1-0 and I said to my mate (also 14 - no parents with us), the only way we are going to score is through an own goal. 10 minutes later, Ron Cockerill the Grimsby centre half did just that and we drew 1-1. Got back at 1.40pm on the Sunday.