Grimsby Town v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

That is a very good point away from home against a side who are fancied for promotion. Well done!
Not the result some on here were predicting!!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

What I would imagine is something approaching Cox's first choice eleven starting together for the first time. 2 up at half time, ending up with a point. A really good result at this stage of the season. Onwards and upwards :)
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Disappointing to let a two goal lead slip, however we'd have taken a point before the game, and what a massive point this is when all things considered, Cox is doing a good job so far, given time I'm confident.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Have to be impressed with Cox and the young team - very tough week if fixtures and did ok
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

This was an excellent result given the travelling we have had to put up with, with holiday traffic etc talks so much sense compared to Hargreaves. This result is a marker that we can compete with anyone. So not a negative for me that we surrendered a 2-0 lead - excellent effort.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Excellent result for me. its a game of 2 halves and a football game lasts at least 90 mins so 2-2 is a great result AGAIN given the turmoil of the summer and the resources Grimsby undoubtedly have.

In Cox we trust
Its Cox or Bust
TUST MEMBER
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Can't believe what a great job cox is doing with such a young team keep it up lads looking forward to Cheltenham oh and congrats to Quigley on scoring his first senior goal.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

< arcadia wrote: You've got to ask yourself where was the midfield on Tuesday night second half as I don't think we put two passes together. Richards might not have been in the side if Young was fit that is not rocket science.>

<Tomogull - Well, I think you've got it wrong. As I read it, the team was set up for Fenwick and Richards to sit in behind Young so that he could push forward more. When Luke Young was injured, Paul Cox quickly arranged the loan signing of Josh Carmichael to play alongside Richards with either Briscoe or Fenwick in Luke Young's position - that's not rocket science. As I posted earlier, Paul Cox will have Fenwick, Heslop, Briscoe, Carmichael, Murombedzi, Chaney and Richards available to fill three midfield places tomorrow. I bet Richards plays.>

I was going to post 'I told you so' but decided not too ........ :whistle:
Smithy1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Smithy1899 »

Good point tough place to go this young side doing us proud
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

that's a great point earned - Cox has to be admired for his organisational abilities and the way in which he's moulded a team out of a pack of liquorice allsorts!

I have great faith that not only can he set a side up but will also develop this group into a unit - all the signs are already there - but most of all I'm grateful!!! feels good to be a gull again!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote:< arcadia wrote: You've got to ask yourself where was the midfield on Tuesday night second half as I don't think we put two passes together. Richards might not have been in the side if Young was fit that is not rocket science.>

<Tomogull - Well, I think you've got it wrong. As I read it, the team was set up for Fenwick and Richards to sit in behind Young so that he could push forward more. When Luke Young was injured, Paul Cox quickly arranged the loan signing of Josh Carmichael to play alongside Richards with either Briscoe or Fenwick in Luke Young's position - that's not rocket science. As I posted earlier, Paul Cox will have Fenwick, Heslop, Briscoe, Carmichael, Murombedzi, Chaney and Richards available to fill three midfield places tomorrow. I bet Richards plays.>

I was going to post 'I told you so' but decided not too ........ :whistle:
In one of the last friendlies Richards not in the frame when Young was fit as Cox played him wing back. I was not saying Richards was not playing well or that he did not fit in. Cox has decided that he will play mid field. It's a great result today and yes he is the best in that position at the moment I have not said he was not. :)
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

PlainmoorB0b wrote:that's a great point earned - Cox has to be admired for his organisational abilities and the way in which he's moulded a team out of a pack of liquorice allsorts!

I have great faith that not only can he set a side up but will also develop this group into a unit - all the signs are already there - but most of all I'm grateful!!! feels good to be a gull again!
I agree with Plainmoor BOb (Good post) ........ and Brucie. :-D
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Tough opening games to the season, but you get the feeling that these lads with this manager can only get better as the season progresses. They're still learning, so promotion's too much to hope for in this campaign (though you never know for sure). But surely they deserve a decent attendance on Saturday against Cheltenham.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Surprisingly.................I agree with brucie ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

whens fairhurst gonna get a look in, enjoyed the little time he had on the pitch at halifax, but not even made the bench since, very odd!
still keeping the faith