Grimsby Town v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Notice as yet Drivel hasn't agreed with his best mate, to be fair Brucie sums mine and the feeling of the majority in his post. On the subject of Fairhurst personally questioned his over all fitness when he arrived here, maybe he's been taken out of the squad to give him time to sort it, who knows, however I'm sure there's a valid reason for it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Waide's got a knee injury apparently
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Ah see, there we have it, thanks Taxilady.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Neal wrote:
In Cox we trust
Its Cox or Bust

:bow: :clap: :-D (8)

Added in 4 minutes 18 seconds:
A fair result. We completely dominated them in the first half and they completely dominated us in the second. Having said that, if Speiss didn't make that howler for their first goal, we'd have come away from that game as feeling the game plan worked.

We can compete against teams who are tipped to go up (possibly even win the league) and even nearly defeat them! Happy days at Torquay United.

Added in 35 minutes 51 seconds:
The Gulls went to Grimsby knowing it will be a very tough game indeed. I think every Torquay United fan would have taken a point before the game, but by the end of the 90 minutes, I think every member of The Yellow Army could feel a little disappointed that we didn’t take all the points home!

70 United supporters made the journey up north and made a fantastic amount of noise from the very beginning. Well done to them.

We looked very dominant in the first half, defending very well and hardly allowing Grimsby chances on goal. Torquay went forward well, with pace and caused some pressure that the home side had to deal with. On the 19th minute, Richards played the ball to Hurst who was on the wing, he got past one and put in a fantastic cross for Joe Guigley to head towards goal and it nestled into the net, 1-0.

Around ten minutes before the half time break, again United looked dangerous going forward causing Grimsby to put it out for a throw in. Torquay skipper Exodus put in one of his special throw’s and it was flicked on at goal by Grimsby player Robinson to make it 2-0!

In the second half, United tried to shut-up-shop and not allow Grimsby to get anywhere near the goal. It seemed to be working quite well, when a 25 yard shot by Robinson bounced in front of Speiss as he was going down to save it and it trickled into the net, very unlucky. The home side had the momentum and they charged forward. On the 80th minute, they got their equaliser by an inviting cross and a looping header. This, of course, did not stop The Yellow Army’s singing.

As the full time whistle blew, I think everyone in the ground thought it was a fair result. Both sides won two halves. Having said that, if Speiss calculated Robinson’s shot properly, we would have come away from the game thinking the game plan worked brilliantly.

As a side note, thanks to John Ramshaw coming all the way over to the away end and thanking the fans for the superb support. We go on to play Cheltenham next weekend and Eastleigh away on the bank holiday Monday.

Onwards and upwards Gulls, together we are United, COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

11 minutes of highlights now available on Grimsby's player. Speiss will be very disappointed he hasn't saved their shot for the first goal. If that doesn't go in I think we properly hold out for the win. Like most fans I would of taken a draw before the game. So a decent result in the end. Bring on Cheltenham next Saturday!! COYY!!

http://www.player.grimsbytownfc.co.uk/latest-news
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

There'll come a time, and a game, when we will stay strong and focussed throughout the whole match, rather than fade away somewhat in the second half. When that day comes, there'll be no stopping us, and other teams had better be afraid, very afraid. Starting with Cheltenham..

BTW, that Grimsby player link doesn't seem to be working.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote:Surprisingly.................I agree with brucie ;-)

Amblance called.. blood pressure checked. yep he's ok.. Brucie was talking some sense for a change. fliipin eclythump. even i'm agreeing with him now :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

I told you so - brucie is right!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

wivelgull wrote:I told you so - brucie is right!
...... but sadly another defeat for the mighty Whitby Town !! :'(
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

F.A. Cup 1st Qualifying Round draw: Salford City vs Whitby Town (a tough one).
wivelgull and tomogull like Whitby Town FC - anyone else want to join in?
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Grimsby away, well done to those who travelled up from Torquay - very impressive. For 70 gulls we were certainly the loudest away game I've been to for a very long time. Danny with the drum, hats off to you.

The pitch - this probably wasn't conveyed in commentary or in the video highlights but the pitch is a bit different to other pitches in that the goals are raised. Comparing the corner flags to the goal posts, there is a visible mound on which the goals sit - very bizarre! I attribute this to their first goal which Speiss really should have saved but I think it just popped up from a divot.

The match really was a game of two halves. Torquay dominated, we should've been 3-0 up at half time (but we probably would've conceded those 3 in the second half), Grimsby in the second half came out intent on destroying us and they so nearly did, how we held on for so long I don't know but I think it was Briscoe stood on the sidelines waiting to be subbed on that made the rest of the team slow down as if waiting for Briscoe - play to the whistle boys.

Stand out performers - Exodus and his big throw, but he needs to be fitter. At 60 minutes he was blowing hard (understandable in 27 degree heat) but by 80 minutes he was dead. At one point the score reading 2-2 we gained a throw in top right of the field perfect Exodus territory, but no he was dead on his feet and waved Briscoe away. This did two things - wasted what would've probably been a goal scoring opportunity but also confirmed to the opposition that he was absolutely knackered. I like you Ex but be more selective with your throw ins running the length of the pitch in the first half makes us week in the dying minutes of the second half!
Butler, Hurst good game - excited to have these two in the team
Richards - he won a few headers, good for him but still not convinced.
Heslop - I saw something in him, not quite Mansell but definitely offers some b*llocks to the team, I think.
Fisher - ran his socks off, wrong decision to replace him.
Quigley - such a bully for a 19 year old, great player sign him up for the season please. He's big, powerful, an insane shot on him and just look at his goal for aerial ability. A very exciting prospect and it'd almost be a shame if he did stay because he will go onto bigger and better things.
Rest of the first team did okay but gave up in the final quarter of the game, as for Speiss, still not sure he seems very quiet to me and that first goal was a shocker, the second goal was a matter of time.

Subs-
Murombedzi - waste of time, offered nothing and had no end product. Back on the bench.
Briscoe - Not as dramatic a weight loss as I was expecting, slow sluggish and ineffective.
Marsh - No service, shame as he didn't look to bad thought he was nailed on to score the winning goal at one point but it was pulled back for a free kick.

Referee and assists - above average, Smith got a way with a 50/50 hand ball in the first hald, and I felt the majority of decisions were fair.

The Grimsby fans and match day staff were very accommodating and pleasant to talk to, I'm sure that our home fans will be as welcoming to you.

Next game for me is Lincoln away, COYY!
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Tha nks RussianGull. Delighted to hear your assessment of Quigley as I really rate him and have been surprised by how underwhelmed others have been.