Torquay United V Woking-Tue 18TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

That **** WMN article is a load of shite.

Fisher got in behind plenty and the wing backs put in plenty of good balls. In almost all examples of each instance, Fish got fouled by Saahsy. In any other game, with any other referee, they'd have been down to 10 midway through the first half.

How about, Mr WMN reporter, you attempt to file copy, and every time you sit down to type, I pull the plug on your computer? Then a bunch of footballers could sit about saying you're a dreadful hack. That surely would be fair?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Yeah - I also thought that article was way wide of the mark.

I also think there's been some unfair criticism of Quigley. Though heavy set, he has quick feet and if the pair learn not to play so far apart from each other there looks to be a useful little triangle forming between Quigley, Fisher and Briscoe.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I agree with Plainmoorbobbob on the fact that Quigley has quick feet a few people on here have IMO not been fair to the lad someone criticised him being bmth acadamy player of the year but that was at u/18s so cut the lad some slack Bmth have a lot of good lads in their dev squad and Quigley is down that list a bit but he is young and works his sox of as well as the other lad from bmth.
KeithMalone
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by KeithMalone »

Any worthless hack judges a striker only on goals, as Quigley has none at present he will find himself in the firing line (not too dissimilar to what is happening to Rooney). The team is continuing to bed in and hopefully we can continue to gather the points that will put us mid-table in April. We go again at Grimsby by which time this will be yesterday's chip paper. Up the yellows!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I've watched most of the games and thought the first half on Tuesday matched somewhere near our best. Our strikers do lack upper body strength but had other attributes and looked pretty good. The passing just disappeared second half but we still nearly got a draw which we never deserved. It all takes time and when Cox knows his players better things will improve as only MacDonald has got a regular place out of last seasons players of the ones he did not know and he's been forced to play Richards. All the others are on the bench but I only think one of them could be better than the ones that started on Tuesday.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

I thank Stefano for updating Wivelgull and I'm glad he thinks the same. I did try to send a private message to Wivel but couldn't. I still feel angry now about that game.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote: It all takes time and when Cox knows his players better things will improve as only MacDonald has got a regular place out of last seasons players of the ones he did not know and he's been forced to play Richards.
What ??? I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean in your post but to say Paul Cox 'has been forced to play Richards' is cr*p. One of the plusses this season so far has been to see Courtney Richards back to how we know he can play after being messed about by Hargreaves last season. Richards played well in the pre-season games and he's played well in all the league matches. Fenwick, Briscoe and the new fella will be available for the Grimsby match. I bet you Richards won't be dropped.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Forgive our resident manager in waiting, he's still miffed after being overlooked for the post in favour of Cox ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

I've always liked Richards. He lacks some attributes but will make it ahead of more naturally talented players because he seems to have an excellent attitude and will to win - just look at his reaction at the final whistle to the wins over Macclesfield and Halifax. The new formation should also help as we have an extra man in midfield. I still think his best position is sitting in front of the defence like Lathrope did. His passing is weaker but he's quicker and better in the air, and like Lathrope, he can tackle and break up play effectively.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

tomogull wrote: What ??? I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean in your post but to say Paul Cox 'has been forced to play Richards' is cr*p. One of the plusses this season so far has been to see Courtney Richards back to how we know he can play after being messed about by Hargreaves last season. Richards played well in the pre-season games and he's played well in all the league matches. Fenwick, Briscoe and the new fella will be available for the Grimsby match. I bet you Richards won't be dropped.

If young and briscoe hadn't been injured, I would have bet my mortgage on Richards not starting against Macclesfield. He was by far and away the weakest of our CM in pre season and was obviously not high up cox's list. This is what Arcadia means by "forced" to play, and he's spot on.

As it happens, he did ok against Macclesfield and the first half against Woking - well, he did better than I (and perhaps Cox) thought he would. I like him personally - he seems to have a great attitude and always works hard, but his deficiencies were still on show in the games I've seen, namely poor positioning and a tendency to switch off and watch the ball when defending.

He is still young, and I think Cox being his manager is probably the best thing that could have happened to him; if he doesn't learn organisation and concentration from this guy he never will.
brooker
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Super Rene Howe

Post by brooker »

To be fair, I sat with Breedy for the first half of the Newport PSF, and he said that Cox was impressed with Richards, and that he was standing out in training, so I don't think it's hugely fair to assume that he's Cox's last resort.

As previously said, his attitude is spot on, and I can see that going a long way to impressing PC.
Smithy1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Smithy1899 »

PlainmoorB0b wrote:Yeah - I also thought that article was way wide of the mark.

I also think there's been some unfair criticism of Quigley. Though heavy set, he has quick feet and if the pair learn not to play so far apart from each other there looks to be a useful little triangle forming between Quigley, Fisher and Briscoe.

Spot on, ridiculously inaccurate article
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tomogull wrote: What ??? I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean in your post but to say Paul Cox 'has been forced to play Richards' is cr*p. One of the plusses this season so far has been to see Courtney Richards back to how we know he can play after being messed about by Hargreaves last season. Richards played well in the pre-season games and he's played well in all the league matches. Fenwick, Briscoe and the new fella will be available for the Grimsby match. I bet you Richards won't be dropped.
You've got to ask yourself where was the midfield on Tuesday night second half as I don't think we put two passes together. Richards might not have been in the side if Young was fit that is not rocket science.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

arcadia wrote: You've got to ask yourself where was the midfield on Tuesday night second half as I don't think we put two passes together. Richards might not have been in the side if Young was fit that is not rocket science.
Well, I think you've got it wrong. As I read it, the team was set up for Fenwick and Richards to sit in behind Young so that he could push forward more. When Luke Young was injured, Paul Cox quickly arranged the loan signing of Josh Carmichael to play alongside Richards with either Briscoe or Fenwick in Luke Young's position - that's not rocket science. As I posted earlier, Paul Cox will have Fenwick, Heslop, Briscoe, Carmichael, Murombedzi, Chaney and Richards available to fill three midfield places tomorrow. I bet Richards plays.