Torquay United V Woking-Tue 18TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I think we could be in danger of going around and around in circles discussing this. There are laws of the game, which are open to interpretation by the match officials, as I said to a friend on the way home, who's mistake it was, or whether the game had restarted or not doesn't come into it, the 4th official has made a mistake here and he should apologise for it, officials make mistakes, penalties, free kicks, corners, throw ins, they cant correct them all, the officials still have to apply the laws of the game.

This mistake did not directly cost us the game, however, it certainly didn't help, it meant Briscoe had to remain on the field of play when he was done for, and we temporarily had 4 midfielders on the park, but the result will stand as it should and nothing we say is going change that now.

All we can do is hope that Huxtable will not be appointed to a game at Plainmoor for some time, that would be the best result now, but it is time to move on and accept we lost.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

forevertufc wrote:I think we could be in danger of going around and around in circles discussing this. There are laws of the game, which are open to interpretation by the match officials, as I said to a friend on the way home, who's mistake it was, or whether the game had restarted or not doesn't come into it, the 4th official has made a mistake here and he should apologise for it, officials make mistakes, penalties, free kicks, corners, throw ins, they cant correct them all, the officials still have to apply the laws of the game.

This mistake did not directly cost us the game, however, it certainly didn't help, it meant Briscoe had to remain on the field of play when he was done for, and we temporarily had 4 midfielders on the park, but the result will stand as it should and nothing we say is going change that now.

All we can do is hope that Huxtable will not be appointed to a game at Plainmoor for some time, that would be the best result now, but it is time to move on and accept we lost.
Agree with all that, particularly the last point. I hope Huxtable gets a job offer to be a referee abroad, Zimbabwe would do. An offer that he can't turn down. I don't think we'll see an apology, but we should.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

portugull wrote:Gullscorer I stick to my argument which ever way Kenny wrote his 7, a single digit number, Ben Cobb made a serious error in interpreting the number as 17 which is a double digit number. Cobb was clearly to blame.
So you actually agree with me.. :~D
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

DJ Gull wrote:I have sent an email of complaint regarding Fuxtable, I think it will be more affective if more emails were to follow.

[email protected]

This email address is actually used by referees to report cautions and sending's off. Plus you need to write to the FA; should you want to, as Devon is just his registered county.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Gullscorer what I do NOT agree with is your post at 17.20 yesterday that Kenny Veysey was in part responsible. Ben Cobb was wholly responsible.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

wivelgull wrote:Not being at the game (I was at Blyth to watch Blyth Spartans vs Whitby Town) I cannot comment on the game and the referee. Brucie's comments though, are great and made me laugh - good old brucie. No, what has really gripped my attention is samuel's contribution. Can he tell us what happened at the Devon & Cornwall Police vs Tavistock game?
The police team won the Devon Premier Cup in the seasons either side of this game but what would undoubtedly have been the middle part of a hat trick of cup wins was scuppered by the most appalling imitation of refereeing ever witnessed anywhere in the World! The referee, seemingly wearing a Tavistock shirt under his black referees kit, set his stall out a couple of minutes into the game. A tavistock defender passed back to his goalkeeper. A police striker, knowing the goalkeeper could not pick the ball up, ran in to challenge the goalkeeper. The goalkeeper then unexpectedly dived at his feet and held the ball just as the police striker was challenging for it. The police striker was sent off. Despite having 10 men the police team were clearly the better team but, with the score at 1-1 and Tavistock showing no likelihood of scoring again, the referee gave a ridiculous penalty with only minutes to go. In between there were a series of refereeing errors too numerous to mention. The only consolation was that Tavistock were totally outplayed in the final at Plainmoor.

Later the police club was charged with bringing the game into disrepute after a tissue of lies in the referees report claiming that bricks were thrown at the officials changing room after the game. That charge was easily defended by the police secretary especially as 3 Devon County FA officials who had been at the game were standing outside of the officials changing room until the officials had departed without incident. The charge was dropped; The police striker? He elected for a personal hearing over his sending off in the 2nd minute. The Tavistock goalkeeper gave evidence at the hearing for the police striker. The case was dismissed.

Well Wivel that is a rough summary of what upset Sam! I see you were at Blyth on Tuesday. I have just returned from a traipse around the North. Newcastle, Gateshead, Hexham, Slaley, Holy Island, Alnwick, Lanchester, Durham. Surprisingly pleasant .... if a little cold! ;-)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

portugull wrote:Gullscorer what I do NOT agree with is your post at 17.20 yesterday that Kenny Veysey was in part responsible. Ben Cobb was wholly responsible.
Sorry Portugull, but I should have thought it was obvious to everybody that the post was a jocular remark not intended to be taken seriously. Apparently not. (The 'smiley' was a clue). It seems that either some people don't share my sardonic sense of humour, or the meaning was lost in translation, i.e. via the written word rather than spoken face to face. In future, I shall try to remember to post a 'trigger warning' with such remarks, for the benefit of people such as yourself.. :)
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Huxtable was without doubt the worse referee we had last season and really should be giving up the job or rather booted out of it. Terrible referees all last season but now back in the League...........the referees aren't much better!!! Good luck.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:A bottle of 7 up, because that's what the 4th official should have done, put the 7 up.
An excellent suggestion. Not only the '7' but the 'up' to signify an almighty cock up between the fourth official and Huxtable. As for Gullintwoplaces suggestion that Brett Huxtable should apply for a referee post in Zimbabwe, I totally disagree. That country has got enough problems without inflicting Mr Huxtable on them.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

friendlygas wrote:Huxtable was without doubt the worse referee we had last season and really should be giving up the job or rather booted out of it. Terrible referees all last season but now back in the League...........the referees aren't much better!!! Good luck.
And good luck to the Gas, FG (since you're no longer competing with us..). As for the referees, if my eyesight was any good I'd volunteer to be a referee myself.

Oh, wait... :)
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Regardless of the substitution fiasco, one of the points made was that this probably cost us the game as Briscoe was done for. Why has somebody not raised the point that at 70 minutes why is a professional player 'Done For'? Especially considering he was 'Done For' for most of last season after 70 minutes. Surely there is an issue here in terms of overall fitness and in all honesty should the club not be working hard on making him a player capable of lasting a whole game?
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

tauntongull wrote:Regardless of the substitution fiasco, one of the points made was that this probably cost us the game as Briscoe was done for. Why has somebody not raised the point that at 70 minutes why is a professional player 'Done For'? Especially considering he was 'Done For' for most of last season after 70 minutes. Surely there is an issue here in terms of overall fitness and in all honesty should the club not be working hard on making him a player capable of lasting a whole game?
In fairness he is coming back from an injury.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well, as it was me that made the point about Briscoe being 'done for' so to speak, maybe I should answer it. This is purely from the point of being fair to all concerned, last season I was one of Briscoe's harshest critics, he clearly has made a great personal effort to slim down and get himself fitter, fair play to him for that.

The point is now, he picked an injury late into pre-season, that would have put him back, then look at where we are as a football club, we don't have the money for a full time reserve side, not sure who would pay if the club sent a player to St Georges park for injury rehabilitation, and so on. So where else but in the first team can he get back to match fitness. Which will mean, 60 minutes at a time until he gets stronger.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

tomogull wrote: An excellent suggestion. Not only the '7' but the 'up' to signify an almighty cock up between the fourth official and Huxtable. As for Gullintwoplaces suggestion that Brett Huxtable should apply for a referee post in Zimbabwe, I totally disagree. That country has got enough problems without inflicting Mr Huxtable on them.
North Korea then, all he needs is an even sillier hair cut and Huxtable would fit in perfectly.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Sorry Gullscorer obviously we do not share the same sense of humour.