FC Halifax Town v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Fantastic result, 6 out of a possible 9 points in what looks to be one of the toughest months. Bring on Woking!
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

I like this manager, he can change things round during a game !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

The way cox is able to see the dangers from the opposition and weaknesses mid game of the team and freshen things up with the likes of fairhurst are what was missing from CH last season. Onward and upwards!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

So far, we've won all our home games, and we've taken 1.5 points per game away from home.

That's promotion form.. :~D
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Indeed, the other thing missing was character, twice pegged backed, by fought on and got the win.
Formerly known as forevertufc
CapeTownGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Colin Lee

Post by CapeTownGull »

6 points from 9 after the mess we were in is very encouraging! Looks like Butler and Hurst are key and I am sure Briscoe will also add some goals when fully fit.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Thank goodness it's been positive so far.

Not sure the forum or I could survive perpetual "Cox out" postings!
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Really good result away from home. Sounded like a corker with Breedy on the radio. He certainly wears his heart on his sleeve.

Some people on this site need to cut our young developing team some slack and try to take the positives from our performances rather than bringing doom and gloom. Yes it's going to be a tough and inconsistent season, but your moaning adds nothing. Rant over.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully)!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

bloody excellent result that!
TUST MEMBER
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

On way home from the game. Very proud of the boys - they dug in and worked their socks off to win that. I feared the worst when Halifax levelled to make it 2-2 but we got our noses back in front and held on.

It's the first match I've watched this season and I liked the shape of the side. I've always been fond of wing-backs since the Gurney-Gibbs days and Hurst and Butler have the attributes to play that system. The problem is when one of them can't play we have no cover. When Hurst was subbed - he was understandably knackered on his delayed debut - Richards slotted in and we were significantly weaker (that's nothing against Richards who I thought did well in midfield - he's just not a wing-back).

The first half was fairly even. Both sides struggled to carve out chances from open play so it was no surprise to see all three goals before the break come from dead ball situations. Our first was from a trademark Exodus throw - what a useful weapon it is. It's even more effective than Nicholson's because Exodus can fire in flat throws with plenty of pace, meaning the player who gets on the end of it doesn't need to generate much power on his header. Angus was the target and he flicked his effort over the keeper and into the far corner of the net. Disappointingly, our lead didn't last long when a Halifax free-kick - conceded by Butler for a late tackle - was whipped into the box and smashed in from close range after we failed to win the first ball. Poor defending but I'll have to look at it again to decide who was at fault. Spiess had no chance though. We always looked dangerous from set-pieces and another training-ground routine worked to perfection when Butler's pin-point free-kick over the defence was glanced in by Hurst to restore our advantage. He scored an identical goal later in the half but was flagged offside. It must be very satisfying for Cox to see the hard work at Seale Hayne pay off when we score goals that are no doubt drilled into the players Monday-Friday.

Unfortunately, we were very slow out of the blocks after the interval. Even though the half was only a few minutes old, you could sense Halifax scoring because we were sitting off and second to every ball. Hurst gambled to win a header, lost out and left a huge space behind him which Halifax expolited. I'm not sure if it was a shot or cross but it squirmed its way past Spiess who again I didn't think could do much about it. I expected us to crumble after that - similar to in midweek - and we survived a few nervy moments, whilst also hitting the crossbar at the other end from another giant Exodus throw. Then out of very little, we scored our third.

Fairhurst had replaced Briscoe a few minutes earlier and slotted in immediately behind the strikers. It was his header that freed Quigley down the line and he twisted past the full-back before crossing the ball to Fisher, who opened his body and caressed the ball into the corner of the goal with the inside of his left boot. Easily the best goal of the day. Halifax put us under some late pressure but I can only remember Spiess making one save and that was at 2-2. Fenwick was sent off in stoppage time after two petty yellows. The first was time-wasting when we had a throw and the second for kicking the ball away after we conceded a free-kick. No harm done though. The win meant a lot to the players and staff - there seems to be a great team spirit already assembled by Cox. Fantastic atmosphere in the away end too - about 100 fans but the noise was non-stop.

I thought our back three were excellent. Exodus especially who led the team superbly. Very little got past him and he read the danger. Angus and Smith were solid - both love a challenge and throw their bodies in front of the ball. Spiess flapped at one cross but his handling was very good apart from that minor blip and he made a crucial save in the second half. Hurst was fantastic for the first 35 minutes but was then blowing out of his arse. Partly at fault for Halifax's second but he did score himself and will be a key player for us when fully fit. Butler looks a decent player on the other side and has a lot of energy.

We lacked creativity in midfield - which I think is our biggest problem - but then we did score three goals! Richards worked hard and breaks up play well but his passing isn't his greatest asset. I didn't really notice Carmichael much but we have a few players who look alike from a distance! Briscoe wasn't very effective but it was his first match and will be important. I was impressed with Fairhurst when he came on. Showed some nice touches and linked up well with the strikers. Quigley struggled to get involved. He is slow to react to things and often second to the ball but he did set up the winner and had something about him. Fisher will be s fan favourite. Excellent finish and covers a lot of ground. He moves quickly too for his size. I've rambled on for too long now - off for a beer!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Nice report Tommy and thank you for it. Not rambling at all precise and to the point.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

tommyg wrote:On way home from the game. Very proud of the boys - they dug in and worked their socks off to win that. I feared the worst when Halifax levelled to make it 2-2 but we got our noses back in front and held on.
Thank you for your excellent summary Tommy, much appreciated.
TUST No 278
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

A distinctly odd game to listen to really - it seemed like we were destined to go the same way as the Wrexham game but somehow pulled out the win.
Quite how Fenwick has come on as a sub and got him sent off for kicking the ball away twice is beyond me - I guess he will get an almighty bollocking from Cox. I think he can count himself lucky that the didn't score an equaliser as I reckon he would have been walking home.
hell of a win though in the end.
Still he's a pro footballer so cannot be expected to have a brain cell. No harm done we won so no point in raking over it for the next month.
Halifax are useless - no points and crowds of a thousand but a great win nonetheless.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Thanks Tommy enjoy your beer !!