FC Halifax Town v Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Great report Tommyg I thought you got it spot on I can't wait to see a fully fit Hurst as he looked really good but in saying that like Paul Cox said the team all over the pitch are putting in a shift and you get what you deserve and IMO the lads deserve the wins they have got because they are all putting in the shifts and as the injured players who have come back get fitter I think we will get stronger COYY.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

Lets hope we get a good crowd Tuesday night to reward the people who have put the hard work in. :bow:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

great report tommyg, you've got it spot on. :clap:

great support from the gulls fans and plenty of singing and great drumming!!! hardly heard anything from the home fans......

4 poor defensive goals but the goal by fisher -(feed the fish and he will score!!) =D to win it was an excellent goal. :clap:

funniest moment was when our blow up fish went for a fly and the Halifax fans wouldn't give it back...... :@

it was rescued by a steward and returned to warm applause from the gulls fans...

biggest disappointment - no mention of the green or yellow team leaders...... :-o :rofl:

............oh and they actually managed to have a match programme this time.............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for an excellent match report tommyg, and reports from other attending to today, glad you had a nice day our Chris S-N-W.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Sounded like a cracking game on the radio (our resident comedian would have disagreed given Mr Breed was co-commo), but did fear the worst when they came back to 2-2 and then it seemed, for a small time, to be all them.
Fair play to our young team to get the lead back and then manage to keep them out. Speiss sounds like a good buy, though I do feel sorry for Dan who did little wrong last season when given his chance - he didn't make the bench again today.

6 points out of 9 is a good start to the season - onwards and upwards!!

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

thoroughly enjoyed that day out, what a great atmosphere the 101 of us generated! some excellent new songs written over the summer

who knows the words to that one that starts with

steve breed had a dream (i think) and continues with the gulls are reborn? loved it!!

half decent performance too, great passion shown by the players
still keeping the faith
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP

Post by taxilady »

Deano had a dream (or it was, initially ! Could have changed to Breedy by now !)
to lead a football team
he had no money, no kit, not even a ball;
but he carried on
The Gulls were reborn
We're Torquay United
We're still going strong
duh duh duh, duh duh duh etc
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

There were quite a few new songs being belted out by the Yellow Army yesterday but the above was the pick of the bunch. The drum makes such a huge difference to the atmosphere. I also thing inflatable fish are going to be a regular feature at away games, especially if new fan-favourite Fisher keeps on scoring!
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Have to agree with most posts the atmosphere was very good I did not see what my hubby saw in going to the games but I think I am now convinced having been to the last few games with him looking forward to Tuesday and I was happy to read Paul Cox,s quotes about how the players would run through a brick wall for him shows he gets them working for him even though we have a young squad.
trissyjp
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by trissyjp »

Listening to the match yesterday, it appeared to have many commonalities with the previous two games. In the Maccesfield game, (which I attended) we were under a lot of pressure in the first half, managed to sneak a goal and never really dominated to either secure the lead or apply increased pressure to add to it. However we did play well enough to win 1 - 0 against a team who had success last season and a greater degree of familiarity, which is a sign of positive things to come.

From listening to the Wrexham game, the pattern of play was the same. We soaked up pressure, scored the goal against the run of play but didn't have the attacking or defensive answers when Wrexham came at us at increasing tempo in the second half.

Against Halifax. The wing-back formation which with the return of Hurst, Cox was able to play gave us a much better attacking balance. However when we are in the ascendancy I think we need to build on our lead not sit back, reducing the tempo. It was clear from the commentary that Halifax could not handle the big man, Exodus throws and Halifax panicked in the build-up to them and in dealing with them. His throws are a physiological and physical weapon. I think we made a tactical error in taking him off the throws (or him choosing not to take them) when we are ahead in second halves of games. Add to the lead and maintain and increase the attacking tempo. Scare the opposition so they cannot play. At 2-2, we very nearly went behind 3-2 after a non-Exodus throw-in choice only for what the como described as a super save from Speiss. For the good of the team results I think Exodus should make the attacking throw-ins through out the match unless we have a decent lead in which that is not so necessary.

Also if we have a good lead I wonder if Cox would consider shuffling so Exodus has a holding midfield role (closer to the throw-ins and big presence in the centre of the field) allowing some game time and match experience for Oniel Odofin (who looked good at the mighty Dartmouth.)(He was not even on the bench yesterday.) It could be worth a try and better to experiment when in the ascendancy than necessity.

It is clear that we have the makings of a good side, on limited resources. The more game time our young squad has, the more they will become familiar and Cox can experiment with what they can offer. Come on you Yellows !!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I'm glad fellow supporters are appreciating the drum and new songs, etc. I'll be there with the drum for every single game this season (hopefully every away game) and worked very hard with fellow mates/supporters to create more songs, buy flags to make Plainmoor look more colourful, to create a proper good atmosphere at home and away...bringing back the Plainmoor roar!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

If you have a Gullsplayer Subscription you can use your login to view 15 minutes of highlights from yesterday's game on Halifax player.

http://www.player.halifaxafc.co.uk/last-match