Wrexham v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

I was one of the 89 last night.

Oh dear.

That's left me terrified for the rest of the season.

If I hadn't been to a game since 2012, I think I would've left in tears last night.
However, even if, like me, you witnessed last seasons debacle, that was worse.

I'll start with the postives:
Speiss made an excellent save first half when the striker was through 1 on 1.
Butler looks a good player. He let the cross go into the box which led to the penalty, but looks good on the ball and gets about. He's probably wondering what he's doing here.
The players are tall.
The fans. Absolutely brilliant. Deservedly got a round of applause from the home fans. Brilliant all game.
That's it really.

It's easy to pour scorn on last night. Believe me, it's easy. But Paul Cox is clearly very much up against it. I suppose another positive is that with half of last seasons budget, we're not looking twice as bad.

This said;
We must have had about 20% possession. We could keep the ball, nor indeed win it back.

Fisher...was playing on the right wing. That didn't work.

Fenwick and Carmichael.....probably the best thing to do is to reserve judgement, because it's only one game, but suffice to say, I'm really hoping we don't have a couple of younger Ben Hardings. The game totally passed them by. Not least because our back 5 just launched it over their heads whenever we had the ball.

Smith..doesn't look like a right back to me. He's not very mobile.

Richards...is still Richards.

Quigley...didn't hold the ball up very well. Indeed, Lavelle-Moore did a better job when he came on.

The team looks and is very young. There didn't seem to be much leadership going on out there. We were like lambs to the slaughter really.
The goals we conceded were farcical. Really, really soft. We should've cleared our lines for the first and third goals and for the second, their number 10 was completely unmarked on the edge of the area, so he did the sensible thing and stroked in into the corner. It was actually a theme throughout the game, where their midfield had all the time they wanted to do whatever they wanted.

Wrexham looked good, but I think we made them look good. They got beaten 3-1 by Bromley, so they can't be that good can they.

We all understand the predicament we're in and yes, we're lucky to have a football club at all and I'll continue to follow the team around the country. But crumbs, I'm not really looking forward to the next game. I just don't really enjoy it anymore.
Sorry it isn't more positive.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Yes - the crux of the matter is that Wrexham were hammered by Bromley on Saturday and like most teams in this league are probably bang average.

Trouble is they are miles better than us. There isn't any point in criticising anyone though, the players, Cox, the board. Everyones doing their best - we know where we are, which is a team full of lower league players (shorn of arguably our three best players)

On the plus side we did beat a team who narrowly missed the play offs on Saturday. The worry is though that the paying public isn't really used to being such a small fish in a small pond and attendances will suffer if we struggle and I'm not sure where will go from there.

Worrying times but we are only two games in.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

We carried on from Saturday in the first half, ensured we didn't concede a goal (yes, Speiss did help us out once...or twice) and got one ourselves. Unfortunately, we were way too defensive after we conceded and they were all over us. We had absolutely nothing up front, no option whatsoever. Having said this, we are without three very important players to our squad and that is quite clear to see after last nights performance.

However, it's still very early days, even earlier when you think about the progress of our club, Cox and everyone at Torquay United are still learning and we'll have to take these sort of performances on the chin and move on.

A great day out nevertheless with The Yellow Army, the atmosphere was great and the journey home was full of songs!

Onwards Gulls!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Paul Cox spoke on saturday about how there would be inconsistancy during the season and I think we are going to have games like this where one week we will be great and then not good the next. Thats the truth with having a young side.

That being said, I think many of us weren't expecting to win last night. Getting 3 out of 6 points from two games was what i was expecting, even with some key players out, so not all bad. It's a tough month for us with new players and the "better" sides to face early on.

Will be at Halifax hoping for 3 points, could be a chance early on as they haven't put points on the board yet.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Tarrboy1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Tarrboy1 »

I too was one of the 89 and whilst we were generally bobbins, rather oddly I came away from the ground feeling much better than I had when we played at The Racecourse last season. Perhaps I'm just grateful that I have a football team to still go and watch!

It was very clear that we hadn't played much together as a team - lots of "you get it, oh right, I'll get it then" moments. Also some very questionable tactics / formation from Mr Cox, but we'll gloss over that as its still very much a learning exercise at the moment. I would however question the need for 5 in midfield if you're just going to lump the ball over their heads to the lone man up top. At least try and get someone in there to support him.

My biggest problem with last night was that we gave Wrexham far too much time on the ball and space to play. You shouldn't be allowed the time to take a couple of touches, look up and leisurely place the ball in to the corner of the net if you're stood on the edge of the penalty area in any level of football. To be fair, Wrexham did pass it well and their movement at pace was excellent (we didn't do either of those things)

I actually think we've signed a few decent players and with a bit of work to form them in to more of a "team" I think we'll do ok.

Lastly, fair play to our fans. The fella on the drum (I forget his name, sorry) and everyone around him didn't stop making noise for the whole game. Couple of excellent new songs as well, nice work.
Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Orange Gull / StretfordGull

Was last nights performance worse or more terrifying than the abysmal 1 - 5 drubbing inflicted, at home, by the mighty part timers of Braintree?

Let's try to keep some perspective here. That appalling display was 6/7 months into the season - last night was 2nd game for a brand new team. :|
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Clubs going into a new season, with a new team, is a feature by and large in the conference with many clubs offering 1 year contracts, and having a number of non-contract players on the books, the difference between us and Wrexham, and most other clubs with new teams in the division, is other clubs were in a position to do their business early and had the pre-season to develop a settled team, TUFC still had new players arriving last week, we had 3 players on the park last night who didn't have any of the pre-season at Torquay, and couple more who only had and short part in its.

Saturday's performance was difficult to watch, and it was hard enough listening to that last night, so fair play to those who went, however, we did all agree, with all facts considered, and with the fixture computer throwing a raft of games in August that most teams would find difficult, we would experience a tough opening to the season, as hard as it's going to be, and I'd love to have had a moan Saturday, the only thing that's going get our club through this difficult patch which could go on for a season or two, is us sticking together, sticking with the club, COYY.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I was one of the 89 last night and was disappointed not the fact that we lost because let's face it Wrexham are not a bad side yes they lost to Bromley But that was the 1st game of the season , we are a very young side and will take a few weeks to gel so any points we pick up this month I feel will be a bonus. However what I would say is the midfield from what I have seen in the 2 games so far have good individual technique and good passing skills but at the moment cannot do this because the back four just seem to lump the ball up to the centre fwd who is usually outnumbered is this a Paul Cox tactic ? Or does he not trust the midfield to play through the middle.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

On the Radio Devon report, Steve Breed said, and his fellow comentator agreed, (quote) "Courtney Richards was Torquay's best player by a mile". Yet nobody on here has mentioned Richards. They also both thought the ref was a 'homer' and that the penalty was 'soft'. Wrexham fans sat nearby agreed. Would you brave lads who went to Wrexham last night agree? By the way, we could hear you loud and clear on the radio cheering the team on. Absolutely brilliant support. It may not have won us points last night but the support we fans give the team will win points.
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

Courtney Richards done ok but to be honest he done the same on sat against Macclesfield he gave Whitaker too much room and likewise last night gave Vose too much time & room and yes the referee did seem a bit of a homer however we seem to be giving opposition midfielders too much respect and let them play IMO we need to get closer when we mark all over the pitch but I do realise it is early days and we have got a very young squad COYY.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

tomogull wrote:On the Radio Devon report, Steve Breed said, and his fellow comentator agreed, (quote) "Courtney Richards was Torquay's best player by a mile". Yet nobody on here has mentioned Richards. They also both thought the ref was a 'homer' and that the penalty was 'soft'. Wrexham fans sat nearby agreed. Would you brave lads who went to Wrexham last night agree? By the way, we could hear you loud and clear on the radio cheering the team on. Absolutely brilliant support. It may not have won us points last night but the support we fans give the team will win points.
Regarding the referee, I think some of his decisions were very soft and there were a few occasions when he gave a yellow card to a Torquay player and then no card to a Wrexham player for a similar foul. So yes there was inconsistency. There was also one incident I remember in the second half when one of our players was hauled down and the free kick was given to Wrexham for some reason. I remember in the early stages of the match, Butler I think it was fouled one of their players, it was a pretty minor thing really, but the referee called Butler over and reprimanded him for 30 seconds or so, completely unnecessary in my opinion. Having said all of that, I think it is wrong to make such a big deal about the referee, he did not impact on the game too much. We were going to lose despite his decisions.

As for Richards, well I didn't really notice anything particularly special. The midfield was completely bypassed much of the time with the ball being launched from the back either straight to the Wrexham defence, or to Quigley who was unable to maintain possession. I still think that our best player was Speiss.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

A truly dismal set of reports. I have the feeling that we've lost Orangegull, along with all the other deserters over the past two seasons. I have an excuse not to go anymore as I now live 350 miles away from Plainmoor, but my heart is still there.
I felt that we might come between 6th and 10th when I used the club predictor, but I feel than now needs revising - downwards.
Not being at matches one can only get a feel for the performance through reports from contributors to this site, and often they're mixed; but it seems that the performance at Wrexham was a disaster. I listened to the first half on Radio Devon and had the impression from the two commentators that we were doing well; clearly this wasn't the case.
I still can't understand where it all went wrong. Was it the expensive construction of the new stand? Was it over-paying players? Was it over-paying staff?
Where did all Thea's money go? If anyone can enlighten me (simply, please) I would be grateful because the collapse seems to have come suddenly, out of the blue and without any comprehensible reason. Or is it just that football clubs are bottomless pits?
When you've seen Robin Stubbs at Plainmoor.........(and tomogull, stefano, brucie and all the good oldtimers will understand).....
So I put my question to you: Quo vadis?
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Imagine writing off a team of young lads after just 2 games! Truly some people amaze me. The club is on the breadline and to my mind Paul Cox is doing a good job with our limited resources. Away to Wrexham was never gonna be a banker, anything gained would have been a bonus.
Personally I enjoyed Saturday, the effort of the players was there to see.
Get behind these lads and give them your support when they need it, not just when winning and they may well become a better team.
Tust member 191
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Mattpuma wrote:Imagine writing off a team of young lads after just 2 games! Truly some people amaze me. The club is on the breadline and to my mind Paul Cox is doing a good job with our limited resources. Away to Wrexham was never gonna be a banker, anything gained would have been a bonus.
Personally I enjoyed Saturday, the effort of the players was there to see.
Get behind these lads and give them your support when they need it, not just when winning and they may well become a better team.
:goodpost: Spot on.

As general point, Paul Cox is laying some solid foundations, it will take 2-3 seasons to build on this, if he can keep the base of this squad and add 2-3 in the summer, and each summer, we'll soon have a settled squad capable of challenging, that's not going happen overnight.

There's a few clubs in this division already in that position, that's a massive advantage, our club needs us fans more than ever now, stick with it, we'll be fine.
Formerly known as forevertufc
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I expect there will be many more dismal performances this season. What we lack is stability, like someone said against Macclesfield, only 2 players in the team were here last season. Not only will it take time for the team to gel, but I believe it will take seasons to properly build the team and settle the players. One of my mates is an Oxford fan and said they've essentially only made 3 signings, they're one of the favourites for promotion and have a good setup as they're slightly tweaking last years team that has settled well. This is, in time, what I hope we can achieve.