Torquay v Macclesfield Town-season opener.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Malachi on for the ineffectual Quigley.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

2066, 103 away.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Lavelle Moore coming on - weird
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Get in! Fisher puts us 1-0 up!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

GOAL Fisher from a corner, chest, turn, epic!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Get in! We weathered the storm, stayed in the game, and since half time have sounded the better side. Now, come on, let's just hold on.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Get in

Added in 4 minutes 41 seconds:
Hold on ? - this is Torquay cue a couple of goals for Macclesfield.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper

Post by tufc si »

brucie wrote:Get in

Added in 4 minutes 41 seconds:
Hold on ? - this is Torquay cue a couple of goals for Macclesfield.
Not this season Brucie.......I hope!! Saying that though, such a young team, i just hope they dont start to panic!! This is where old heads should come in...

Over 2000 there, not bad, seeing as they've only bought around 100.

Added in 12 minutes 47 seconds:
promotion on the cards for definite then!
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

All over, boys kept their cool and closed it out professionally. Tenacious til the last, nothing inspiring but gritty and everything we expected from Cox.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

A lot of the "fancied" sides dropped points as well - Wrexham, Cheltenham to name the main culprits. A good result to usher in the new era
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

1_0 to the Torquay boys,great start to the season,my paella will taste all the better tonight.I could put up with a season of games and results like this.Hope the crowd were loud and noisy and right behind the lads from start to finish.Well done to all.By the way a good day for all the Devon sides.
Tamargull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Tamargull »

By the pool in Spain with a cold beer. More importantly, just heard the Gulls win. Well done to the lads and management. Sometimes life can be good!!
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Just got in.... mmmmmmm Macclesfield the better team first half, 2nd half mmmm well I think Macclesfield looked sharper actually not by much. They missed a sitter in the first half.

Geohaghon our best player, very impressed. Richards did ok for me and won some headers against taller opponents as did Smith on many occasions. And Macdonald did well also.

I agree attack looked isolated and rarely threatened really. I didn't think there was much quality

But some plus points.

We are a much taller team.
Aggressive and fought hard.
We saw the game out well really after going ahead. Could be a season like that, but that's ok with me.
Cox involves himself in the game.
That could be a damn good result against a team I think will do well, as they looked good, their number 14 was very good and probably the best player on the pitch
TUST MEMBER
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The game started brightly for Torquay in terms of the first couple of minutes, new on loan signing Quigley put a Macclesfield defender under pressure forced the mistake but could not find the angle, as the shot flashed agonisingly past the face of the goal. The majority of the first half saw the silkmen dominate with better, more incisive passing and movement, Macclesfield had the chance of the game early doors, a quick break from a gulls corner saw the ball across our box landing at the feet of an un marked Danny Whitaker, a goal looked certain, but an outstanding save from Spiess kept it level.

Macclesfield to be fair didn't fashion that many chances despite dominating possession in the first half, largely down to some solid defending from our back line, with Exodus the pick of our defenders.

Second half for me was scrappy affair, Torquay gained more of a foothold in the game, their were very few moments of real quality from either side, Macclesfield continued to play the neater football, with at times little end product, Torquay despite being caught out by a couple of quick counter attacks continued to defend resolutely, but the three points would come from a goal scored by the impressive Fisher, who missed a great chance to add a second.

Our performance today at best can be described as workman like, it wasn't pretty, but that's ok, we lacked cohesion, but again, hardly a surprise considering there were 3 players in our starting line up who only signed this week, it's going take time of partnerships to form, understanding between players and for things to gel, this was an ugly win, but a wins a win, and we'll take it, wont we.

Smith, MacDonald, exodus, Butler, solid through out, Spiess couple of way wood kicks, but other wise one great save, nothing wrong with handling, looks solid enough, Fisher impressive, good footballer for this level, All in all based on today and the Exeter P-S-F I don't see us tearing up any trees, however, I do see a comfortable upper mid table finish, we'll be fine.
Formerly known as forevertufc
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

It was nice to leave Plainmoor with a smile on my face today! We did well to keep out their number 14, who was a nuisance all day, and it was clear that Holroyd was the target every time they got the ball, very glad we had Butler there to deal with that as opposed to Ives! Thought the ExoGus duo were superb at the back, on other day we would have let in a couple, but they did what they had to do and looked solid, as did Speiss. Smith at right back played well, put some big tackles in. Alex Fisher was our best player, took a while to get going but the second half he was class. Thought the subs were largely ineffective but they didn't have time to impress. We're looking good for the season, Cox has them running through walls. On to Wrexham. COYY
The gulls are going up