Torquay v Macclesfield Town-season opener.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Promising start indeed! not the 3-1 I had called

It Sounds like a game we would have lost last season and this season we have dug in and earned the points

Well dones all around - amazing really given the time cox has had to get a team together

COYY!
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

For all the puffing and blowing pre-season 2,066 is a dismal crowd. The first day of a new season should attract far more. I fear that when the weather turns and when the losses start we'll be lucky to get half that.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Lavelle-Moore added some movement up front - team too static, waiting rather than anticipating. Especially Quigley. It made a telling difference. Respect to PC :bow:
TUST member 200 ;-)
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

wivelgull wrote:For all the puffing and blowing pre-season 2,066 is a dismal crowd. The first day of a new season should attract far more. I fear that when the weather turns and when the losses start we'll be lucky to get half that.
Agree with you in terms of todays crowd being disappointing, however, it may well have todays warm sunny weather that may not have helped to a point, with families perhaps choosing to make hay while the sun still shines, also the club will have to win back lost supporters from the last two seasons.

The one thing I will say, the spirit and togetherness shown by the fans inside the ground was as good as I've seen it in a long, long time. No moans and groans when things weren't going so well today, no shouts of F-off and die you c--t at our own players today, and the way almost the entire ground chanted during the 4 minutes added on to help the team over the line was fantastic.

For those reasons I think the loyal 2,000 will stay strong, mid week games could be a problem though.
Formerly known as forevertufc
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock

Post by torq2u »

Shepherd, Gus, Carmichael were outstanding I thought. Really up for it. Fisher workedvhard too. Good role models for the rest. A promising start by a team getting to know each other.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Not the best performance, but we got the win! I think we'll have to get use to this, however, I don't mind that one bit. A tad disappointed with only 2,066, but at least it was in the 2,000's. Thought the crowd did their bit today, a good afternoon to start the new season.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

forevertufc wrote: Agree with you in terms of todays crowd being disappointing, however, it may well have todays warm sunny weather that may not have helped to a point, with families perhaps choosing to make hay while the sun still shines, also the club will have to win back lost supporters from the last two seasons.

The one thing I will say, the spirit and togetherness shown by the fans inside the ground was as good as I've seen it in a long, long time. No moans and groans when things weren't going so well today, no shouts of F-off and die you c--t at our own players today, and the way almost the entire ground chanted during the 4 minutes added on to help the team over the line was fantastic.

For those reasons I think the loyal 2,000 will stay strong, mid week games could be a problem though.
Yes, 2000 gate is poor. But the above factors will contribute to the gate. I feel support will increase, we have to get the good feel factor back. Anyway, it's 200+ above the break even budget(2-3k)
Lucy
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

A win is a win! Very scrappy match but I am very confident Paul Cox will get this group of players playing much better given a few more weeks.

For me the signings of Dan Butler,Exodus, Nathan Smith plus the injured Hurst are fantastic given our budget. Butler looks like a very good player in a position which has been a big problem for the last 3 seasons.

We were weak in midfield and simply need one good playmaker to provide better service to the strikers.

Joe Quigley so nearly scored in 60 seconds and needs games. Shepherd was very confident and put over some great crosses. He looks good.

Fabien Spiess made a match winning save in the first half and looked sound.

A shame Briscoe was out with an injured back.Fisher had a very quiet first half but took his goal well. Could be a poacher as he looked sharp in the box.

2066 very disappointing.

Ryan Bowman won the game for Gateshead with 2 late strikes a Aldershot.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

gullno4 wrote: Thought the ExoGus duo were superb
Nice.

Added in 7 minutes 20 seconds:
wivelgull wrote:For all the puffing and blowing pre-season 2,066 is a dismal crowd. The first day of a new season should attract far more. I fear that when the weather turns and when the losses start we'll be lucky to get half that.
Is it? We were absolutely useless last season, and are in a pretty crap league football-wise. Everyone who follows the club closely was probably there if they could be. Who wasn't was probably those extra floating supporters who don't pore over the minutiae of everything that comes out of the club - to them we've just come off the worst season in the clubs history and have even LESS money now, sold the top scorer, had our best player injured, and have had no really big signings. I though 1900 ho,e fans turning up was OK in the circumstances.

If we have a good start, by which I mean don't get tonked in the next two, do something against Woking, and survive against Grimsby, then I wouldn't be surprised to have 2500 home fans by the Cheltenham game. That means we'll probably have a gate over 3,000.

But still, never let any considerations affect your never ending blind pessimism, eh?
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I agree with the earlier post,about Carmichael considering he came to us on Wednesday he got booked for his keenness to stop the other player setting up an attack, but he protected the back four superbly by stopping the Macclesfield midfield from supplying their front 2 especially in the first half as Richards was giving Whitaker to much space but Carmichael picked him up 2nd half and stopped him getting beyond our back four and some of his passing and through balls were excellent but I must say for a team thrown together they all played their part as I predicted we would lose 2 1 onwards and upwards.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Given the circumstances in which the squad and the team were set up, a 1-0 home win against one of the previous season's promotion contenders was a very encouraging start. I've no doubt attendances will pick up if the team carries on in that mode. Health permitting, I shall certainly try to get up to more matches.

I had the local radio commentary on today, without paying too much attention to the actual words, and it sounded fine to me. Mind you, I have been listening to a lot of golf and cricket commentaries recently..
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

I cant complain about this result.
Several of the starting XI hadnt played a game with the other players, so the performance is bound to be about getting to know each other. The players will be severely examined this month and if any injuries or suspensions befall the defence that played today then Cox will have to seek fresh resources. Then there's the midfield.
I'm expecting more players will be signed before the window closes. Who knows whether Quigley, Carmichael, J. Richrds or Lavelle-Morris will still be with us in a months time.
I reckon we have 23 players to choose between at the moment but I'd have to say several will be lucky to get on the bench this season.
Swanny
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Swanny »

A hard fought win by the Gulls today in a game in which we got stronger as the game went on. That's something I have not witnessed for a long time. Under Hargreaves and Knill Torquay tended to start lively and fade out. Today Torquay in the first half were very much second best and should have gone in at half time a goal or two down. Goalkeeper Spiess saved a clear 1-on-1 with his legs and was alert to other dangerous moments.

The crowd of 2,066 (103) from Macclesfield created a good atmosphere and I was proud of the chanting from all 3 home sides. You feel our supporters are really trying to do their bit to lift the club from its current predicament. Our current plight is indeed very concerning when you hear rumours of how low the players wages are and our manager and assistant are getting paid for their expenses only. It made today's win a big achievement especially for our manager, Paul Cox.

Torquay nearly scored in the first minute but our shot went across the goal from a tight angle. Torquay failed to clear their lines early on but just survived each time and we looked there for the taking. MacDonald and man mountain Geohaghon looked a good pairing in central defence and keeper Speiss was vocal. Torquay created very little in midfield and our front man Quigley had little impact. We really seem to be missing Young and we were looking like a bunch of strangers.

But we hung in there and came out in the second half with more purpose and intent. Macclesfield cleared the ball off the line in quick succession and finally Torquay were looking a bit dangerous, none more so from Geohaghon's long throws right into Macclesfield's goalmouth. Substitute Lavelle-Moore really had something about him in attack and shortly after his arrival, Torquay took the lead. Following a corner, the ball broke loose and Fisher swivelled and drove the ball into the corner of the net. Torquay grew in confidence and Macclesfield fizzled out.

There were huge celebrations at the final whistle from players and fans alike and it was a pivotal win in Torquay's history. It's a long, hard road ahead for the club and it was some achievement in winning today after all the troubles off the pitch. Well done to all concerned from the directors, management team to the players - you did the club proud today!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

It was indeed a massive win today. We have a cobbled together side and as Cox says with our three best players out then that was a fantastic result against a side who narrowly missed out on the play offs.
I fear we will be in for a long hard season though.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

[quote="Swanny"]A hard fought win by the Gulls today in a game in which we got stronger as the game went on. That's something I have not witnessed for a long time. Under Hargreaves and Knill Torquay tended to start lively and fade out. quote]

:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: