Torquay v Macclesfield Town (5.15 KO)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Very enjoyable final game. Was rather surprised that there weren't more Macclesfield fans as they were playing for a place in the Play Offs (and would have made it if they'd won). But I don't think they've got a large fan-base. As already posted on here, one of the best refs of the season. I also thought Pearce was fortunate to get away without a booking. Can't say I noticed Ajala's late tackle.

I thought the back four looked solid and we weren't overrun in midfield as we have been for the past two seasons. Pearce has shown in recent weeks what a good player he is if he's playing regularly and Downes has shown what a good captain he could have been. It will be interesting to see if either player is here next season. Both have their failings but we'll find it hard to find better central defenders at this level. A shame that Harding played one of his very few decent games when it's probably his last game for us.

Upfront - still undecided about Campbell. His two misses against Lincoln were awful and so was his scuffed goal against Halifax. But he does have a knack of getting into goal-scoring positions.

As for Macclesfield, neat, well organised side but you could see why they haven't finished in the top five. No 'bite' in attack (and no Labadie comments, please !!).

One final thought - all the players came over to the Pop side at the end of the game, but why not Hargreaves? He says how great the fans have been so surely he could have taken the trouble to say 'Thanks' after the last match of the season ? We've certainly deserved it after two pretty abysmal seasons.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

tomogull wrote:One final thought - all the players came over to the Pop side at the end of the game, but why not Hargreaves? He says how great the fans have been so surely he could have taken the trouble to say 'Thanks' after the last match of the season ? We've certainly deserved it after two pretty abysmal seasons.
To be fair here, I, actually think Chris Hargreaves did the right thing in not going over to the fans at the end of the game, this season has been failure, and reading some quotes from yesterday it's clear Chris Hargreaves is thinking that way as well. Not all of our support would have appreciated CH coming over, and I think he knew it.
Formerly known as forevertufc