Torquay v Macclesfield Town (5.15 KO)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

How nice is it to hear a proper atmosphere at Plainmoor again? Can't remember the last time it was rocking like this!
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Great atmosphere, Torquay could just sit back but fair play for giving it a good go! Daniel and Ajala seems a good balance
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

FT 1-1
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

StretfordGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by StretfordGull »

Is it over? YESSSSSS THE SEASON HAS FINISHED!
Hated every minute.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Nice to have a more positive end to the season and, under the circumstances, a decent crowd. Hope we sign the lad Daniel...
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Best chant of the match was "That's why we're mid-table... that's why we're mid-table..." It was an enjoyable match and all the Torquay players had a good game.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Something's definitely going on with Young. After winning POTS, you'd have thought Hargreaves would have brought him on instead of Richards. All of a sudden he's gone from first name on the team sheet to fourth-choice central midfielder. It's all very odd. Has there been a fall-out? Is he being punished for his red card? Or have we agreed to sell him to another club and don't want to risk him getting injured? One thing I do know is it's definitely not because he needs a rest! The season may be over but the next few weeks are going to be very interesting...
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

tommyg wrote:Something's definitely going on with Young. After winning POTS, you'd have thought Hargreaves would have brought him on instead of Richards. All of a sudden he's gone from first name on the team sheet to fourth-choice central midfielder. It's all very odd. Has there been a fall-out? Is he being punished for his red card? Or have we agreed to sell him to another club and don't want to risk him getting injured? One thing I do know is it's definitely not because he needs a rest! The season may be over but the next few weeks are going to be very interesting...
t

We thought the same he seems out of favour. Thought Hargreaves should have made substitutions earlier and we might have won. Enjoyed game but not happy with the draw. :keepie:
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Thought CH had explained that he wasn't playing Young because 'he knew what he can do' and wanted to give McQuilkin and Harding a chance to prove themselves worthy of another contract. Whether you believe that spin is another matter entirely...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The opening quarter of the game was bright and positive form a Torquay point of view, our team looked confident and were playing the better football, Macclesfield's team under pressure knowing they had to win found it harder to settle, however it was Macclesfield who were getting shots off although not on target in the opening exchanges, whilst our team seemed to be playing square balls around the Macclesfield area.

Our goal came from a comedy of errors, we had I think at least three attempts to shoot on goal all scuffed, Macclesfield failed to clear their lines from these scuffed attempts, the ball broke to Briscoe who finished neatly, Torquay grow in confidence and finished the half stronger, Daniel denied by a great save from a free kick, in a first half that should seen this game put bed by The Gulls.

Second half with results elsewhere going in Macclesfield's favour I, personally expected an onslaught, and after a tense opening exchange Macclesfield began to build up pressure, some stout defending, and bit of poor quality from Macclesfield prevented them getting back into the game, however pressure would tell in the end as they gained a deserved equaliser.

Over the years we've had some last day dramas, and in terms of play-offs and promotion some real nail bitters , you could see and hear the desperation grow amongst the traveling support and the Macclesfield players as they appealed for everything in the box, sort of felt for them at the end as the momentary stunned silence from the Macclesfield fans, as their team dropped to it's knees at the final whistle, however it was nice, for once to be the last day party poopers.

Not going to dwell on individual performances to much, or Chris Hargreaves' substitutions, none of us really know who's going to be with the club next terms and who's not, we don't even know who will have ownership, so all that's best left alone. One thing I will say, looking at the performances of Ben Harding today and Lincoln home, what a real shame , for the first time in 2 years the lad actually looks fit, and we've started to see performance levels and him (BH) have an effect on the game that he was brought to the club for, to little to late maybe.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

SWgull wrote:Thought CH had explained that he wasn't playing Young because 'he knew what he can do' and wanted to give McQuilkin and Harding a chance to prove themselves worthy of another contract. Whether you believe that spin is another matter entirely...
I certainly don't! It's not as if Hargreaves has had 16 months to weigh up whether Harding is good enough and four months for McQuilken. And if that's the case, why did Briscoe start when he's under contract next season instead of Campbell, who is probably hoping to be offered something when his loan expires? It just doesn't add up, especially when Young doesn't even get 10 minutes off the bench and is now behind Richards in the pecking order.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be fair tommyg in Chris Hargreaves world nothing adds up. I did a fairly positive match report todays performance deserved that, however our finish to the season may have papered over the cracks, we've finished 13th, far large parts of the season we've been unforgivably shite, if CH is staying and I still think depends on the club ownership (opinion only) he has a lot of work to do now, lets hope he gets it right.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

forevertufc wrote:The opening quarter of the game was bright and positive form a Torquay point of view, our team looked confident and were playing the better football, Macclesfield's team under pressure knowing they had to win found it harder to settle, however it was Macclesfield who were getting shots off although not on target in the opening exchanges, whilst our team seemed to be playing square balls around the Macclesfield area.

Our goal came from a comedy of errors, we had I think at least three attempts to shoot on goal all scuffed, Macclesfield failed to clear their lines from these scuffed attempts, the ball broke to Briscoe who finished neatly, Torquay grow in confidence and finished the half stronger, Daniel denied by a great save from a free kick, in a first half that should seen this game put bed by The Gulls.

Second half with results elsewhere going in Macclesfield's favour I, personally expected an onslaught, and after a tense opening exchange Macclesfield began to build up pressure, some stout defending, and bit of poor quality from Macclesfield prevented them getting back into the game, however pressure would tell in the end as they gained a deserved equaliser.

Over the years we've had some last day dramas, and in terms of play-offs and promotion some real nail bitters , you could see and hear the desperation grow amongst the traveling support and the Macclesfield players as they appealed for everything in the box, sort of felt for them at the end as the momentary stunned silence from the Macclesfield fans, as their team dropped to it's knees at the final whistle, however it was nice, for once to be the last day party poopers.

Not going to dwell on individual performances to much, or Chris Hargreaves' substitutions, none of us really know who's going to be with the club next terms and who's not, we don't even know who will have ownership, so all that's best left alone. One thing I will say, looking at the performances of Ben Harding today and Lincoln home, what a real shame , for the first time in 2 years the lad actually looks fit, and we've started to see performance levels and him (BH) have an effect on the game that he was brought to the club for, to little to late maybe.

NO wonder we cant play properly if the ball is square. it will bounce funny. :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

Showed glimpses of what a good side we can be today. Should've scored 3 or 4 given the number of one on ones we had. Little mention for the referee, one of the few decent ones we've had this year.

Hanging onto Ajala and Young is going to be hard. Youngy had a look about him that suggested he was saying both thank you and good bye to the fans at the end of the game.

Think we will have pretty much a clean slate in terms of playing staff in a couple of weeks. This season would've taught CH a lot about the type of player he needs and I trust he will put together a team capable of better next season.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I agree that the referee was excellent yesterday. In fact my only slightly critical observation was that both Ajala and Pearce could, and perhaps should, have been booked for their late tackles in the second half when Macca were breaking quickly and may have created a scoring chance. We were actually sat next to the referee assessor who was also very complimentary.

It was a pleasure to see some of our midfield play yesterday. For almost the first time this season we had two central midfielders playing together instead of rushing round on their own (Young for all his abilities was the worst culprit for this). I thought Harding showed what we have been missing for most of the season - someone who was reading the game and anticipating where the ball would be. I thought he was excellent. And McQuilkin with his high energy was the perfect foil. If only our strikers and wingers had more composure in front of goal we would have been out of sight well before Macca's equaliser.

All in all it was a good match played in very good spirit and, unlike much of the dross we have been served this season, a pleasure to watch.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!